RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,724
Members: 24,210
Currently online: 933
Newest member: vagarcia74

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Site Forums > TrekToday News Items

TrekToday News Items Discussion of TrekToday news items

Old June 6 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
TrekToday
Rear Admiral

Silicon Avatar

Plot Summary: A team from the Enterprise is helping a team of colonists on Melona IV when the Crystalline Entity attacks. Riker gets most of the colonists to shelter, but one of the leaders is killed while helping an old man reach the caves where the others are hiding. When Worf arrives with a rescue team, the surface of the planet has been stripped of all life. The Enterprise takes the colonists back to a starbase and beams aboard Kila Marr, who has become an expert on the Crystalline Entity. She is eager to discover how the colonists survived, but reluctant to work with Data, suspecting that he might have lured the Crystalline Entity to Melona IV the way Lore lured it to Omicron Theta. Marr begins to trust Data when he discovers the combination of minerals that enabled the colonists to hide in the caves, and confides in him that her own son, Renny, was killed on Omicron Theta. When Picard reveals that his mission is to communicate with the entity rather than to destroy it, she expresses her frustration but continues to work with Data to find a resonance frequency that might allow the crew to send the Entity a message. Riker, too, expresses his frustration that after watching the Entity kill both people on the planet and the crew of a passing freighter, the Enterprise does not intend to put a stop to its killing, though Picard believes the Entity is merely feeding and may not understand that humans are intelligent beings. Meanwhile, Marr persuades Data to share some of the contents of her son's personal logs and to speak to her in Renny's voice. Using Data's research, the crew lures the Entity toward the ship and begins to exchange a pattern of graviton pulses, but Marr changes the frequency, shattering the Entity before Data can override her programming. Marr asks Data to confirm that Renny would have understood her decision to stop the Entity from ever killing again, but Data says he believes Renny would be very sorry she destroyed her career in her quest for vengance.

To read the full reviews, please click here.

Old June 6 2009, 02:49 AM   #2
Basil
Fleet Captain

Re: Silicon Avatar

It's a great episode precisely because it's a female vowing revenge and not Trek's standard stereotype of the out-of-control, Ahab-like male -- and let's face it, because her primary motivation is revenge and not protecting the Federation or its citizens, her actions are not heroic but selfish and personal. Like Matt Decker, she gets some sympathy for the tragedy of the events, but like Matt Decker, she is less than noble.
Old June 9 2009, 01:22 AM   #3
Peter the Younger
Commodore

I distinctly remember this episode as the point where I began to think Picard's high minded 24th century morality began to go off the deep end. I asked the same questions Ms. Green did: what accord can you reach, really, with an entity that devours whole planets? I suppose we are to believe that, given the time to talk it out, the entity would have transmitted the equivalent of "Oh! I had no idea, I'm so sorry!" This tendency to assume that compassion and remorse is universal is one of Trek's great shortcomings. Some enemies are not misunderstood yet noble adversaries, they are simply predators or forces of nature. Marr may have been imbalanced, but I can't really say she did anything wrong except take matters into her own hands.

Old June 9 2009, 04:51 AM   #4
hyzmarca
Fleet Captain

Peter the Younger wrote: View Post
I suppose we are to believe that, given the time to talk it out, the entity would have transmitted the equivalent of "Oh! I had no idea, I'm so sorry!"
That very well could have happened. There is no way to know without trying. Marr didn't even make an attempt. They could have destroyed it at any time. There would have been no loss in giving it a chance to understand and repent.

And it really does behoove them to extend this courtesy to those who wrong them, because they often make similar mistakes due to ignorance. Lets not forget that time when Federation miners accidentally systematically murdered thousands of helpless children. It can't be the only such incident. If the Horta could forgive them, and work with them peacefully, then the Federation must hold themselves to no lesser standard when dealing with people who harm them out of ignorance rather than malice.
Old June 9 2009, 05:47 PM   #5
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

I didn't care much for this episode. I thought the scientist woman was particularly irritating and so it took me out of the episode. I was disappointed by it because I thought that the teaser was excellent - right up to the moment when they came out to see the devestated planet.