Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 8 2009, 07:46 AM   #16
RoJoHen
Awesome

Re: Farscape Question

Oh, I've watched it so many times, but it has been a while since I've watched anything other than my favorite episodes.
Old June 8 2009, 07:51 AM   #17
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

lvsxy808 wrote: View Post
As Mirrorball pointed out, this question was cleared up right at the very beginning, in the very same episode the situation was introduced. So, not to be rude or anything, but frankly you just weren't paying attention.
I grasp what the guy said. I just had a hard time wrapping my brain around the concept until another poster mentioned cellular mitosis ... then it clicked.

I also agree with the sentiment about "Dog with Two Bones." WOW.

I applaud them for their creativity though. Many people have said that Farscape is indeed a romance between John and Aeryn, a conclusion which I agree with. But in most situations like that, after the people have consummated the relationship, you end up with a generic and contrived problem to overcome before everlasting bliss and crap. But to shake things up like that

... geez.
Old June 8 2009, 12:51 PM   #18
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I always figured the twinning thing was as such: The original Crichton was split into two new Crichtons. One isn't the clone of the other, in fact it could be easier to think the original Crichton was destroyed and two new ones were made in his place.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

That all depends on how you want to define 'original'.... similarly, the whole Will Riker transporter duplicate storyline was a similar deal, wasn't it? Neither was the 'original', one just got luckier than the other.

I liked the double-John act... obviously, you knew from the get-go that one was dead... after Talyn-John hooked up with Aeryn full-time you DEFINITELY knew he was dead, but still, managing to draw it out for most of an entire season isn't something most series would do... an episode or two parter sure, but most series don't have the creative capacity...

And yet, it doesn't feel cheap or a cop-out when Talyn-John dies. It really feels like John Crichton made the heroic sacrifice, and when Aeryn and Moya John meet up, it still chokes me up seeing the anguish on her face when she thinks to herself that this John is the fake.
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 04:08 PM   #20
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
I liked the double-John act... obviously, you knew from the get-go that one was dead... after Talyn-John hooked up with Aeryn full-time you DEFINITELY knew he was dead, but still, managing to draw it out for most of an entire season isn't something most series would do... an episode or two parter sure, but most series don't have the creative capacity...
Yeah, it was ballsy. Interestingly though, Crichton was only split for about eight or nine episodes, but the repercussions from that lasted even until early season 4. I'm not sure many shows could pull 'that' off.

I guess kudos are in order for Browder for acting the part so well...
Old June 8 2009, 04:27 PM   #21
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

Trubinator wrote: View Post
Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
Yeah, it was ballsy. Interestingly though, Crichton was only split for about eight or nine episodes, but the repercussions from that lasted even until early season 4. I'm not sure many shows could pull 'that' off.

I guess kudos are in order for Browder for acting the part so well...
It's good too, that the writers managed to simultaneously not forget about it, but not let it dominate the story by incessantly calling back on it. It just managed to hang there, unspoken, like a pall, only occasionally mentioned, as a true tragedy should be.
Old June 8 2009, 04:45 PM   #22
Freman
Fleet Captain

I just wish they'd rerelease this series in some new Season Boxsets that are affordable.

I would LOVE to own the series, but I really don't feel like spending 10,000 dollars trying to get the previous releases.
Old June 8 2009, 04:50 PM   #23
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Agreed, with the sentiments about Dog with Two Bones, but it wasn't as good as the two parter that came before it. Into the Lions Den was some of the best work Farscape has ever done, both in an action sense and emotional drama. Talyn's demise might be the best death scene I've ever watched.

As with the original question, at first I didn't like the whole Chrichton split up. But after watching Season 3 last year, I realized how great it was and what it did to the overall scope of the season. I haven't watched this series in a long time and I lost the downloads I had of it earlier this year. That sucked.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 07:55 PM   #24
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I'm kind of hoping Sony will re-release the entire series in Blu-ray format soon. Amazon has an auto-notify feature for when it becomes available, so I think it would be awesome to have individual season sets and a PKW one.
Old June 8 2009, 08:21 PM   #25
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Trubinator wrote: View Post
I'm kind of hoping Sony will re-release the entire series in Blu-ray format soon. Amazon has an auto-notify feature for when it becomes available, so I think it would be awesome to have individual season sets and a PKW one.

Sony? I didn't think they had the rights to the show...

Come to think of it, who does have the rights? Syfy and the Jim Henson Company made it, but who handled the distribution side of things?
Old June 8 2009, 08:22 PM   #26
RoJoHen
Awesome

Used to be ADV, but I'm pretty sure Sony has the rights these days.
Old June 8 2009, 08:34 PM   #27
Starbreaker
Fleet Admiral

We got all excited about Blu-Ray when Sony picked up the rights... but noooooo....
Old June 8 2009, 08:37 PM   #28
Harvey
Admiral

Perhaps there's a similar problem with the effects not being rendered at 1080p resolution--the same problem that exists with Babylon 5 and all of Star Trek (outside of Enterprise and the remastered Star Trek).

My blog: Star Trek Fact Check.
Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 08:39 PM   #29
Trubinator
Rear Admiral

I believe seasons 1-3 were filmed at standard TV resolution, whereas season 4 and PKW miniseries were filmed in HD. I'm sure the VFX transfer would be awful, so re-releasing would be a time-consuming process. But they 'should' do it eventually...
Old June 8 2009, 08:55 PM   #30
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

For what it's worth, one of the guys from The Digital Bits (who usually are in the know on such things) says:

Farscape was shot on 35mm film at 25fps, and season 4 was shot on HD video cameras
So season 4 is no problem for Blu-Ray... I know if it'd been shot on video, we'd have the same problem as TNG, but I don't' know anything about 35mm as far as HD transfers go. Anyone know?