New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 6 2009, 08:21 AM   #1
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
I like Tasha Yar.

I've been watching Season One of Star Trek: TNG, and at first I wasn't much on Yar being Chief of Security, in fact the first couple of episodes were just cringe worthy all the way around, but by the time "Heart of Glory" rolls around, I'm really rooting for her and hate what is going to happen to her. I kind of wonder what Tasha would have been like should she have lived and stayed on the Enterprise. Thoughts?

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 10:49 AM   #2
byron lomax
Commander

Re: I like Tasha Yar.

I don't think the cast suffered without her, to be honest, but I disagree with the slating she gets from some people. Tasha isn't a cardboard cut-out, she's actually a pretty interesting character, and had some good moments in the first season that made her character stand out.
byron lomax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 10:53 AM   #3
Ensign_Redshirt
Commodore

More important: What had happened to Worf without Tasha Yar's departure?
Ensign_Redshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 06:40 PM   #4
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Ensign_Redshirt wrote: View Post
More important: What had happened to Worf without Tasha Yar's departure?
Either he would have stayed a background character, or he would a replaced Wesley at naviagation when he left in season four.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 08:04 PM   #5
Newski
Captain

Send a message via AIM to Newski

Eh, if they pulled a "Geordi" and tossed her somewhere else, because while I liked the character, I didn't like her as Security Chief.

Plus, that would have given them the chance to develop the Worf Character as they did, without her death.
Newski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 02:04 AM   #6
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I discovered, while re-watching season one recently, that I too liked Tasha a lot more than I realized I did. I think she could have been used to offer a slightly unique perspective, coming from a "failed" colony to the Federation. I always saw her as being a little jaded, myself.

Had she stayed, we would have had no "Yesterday's Enterprise" the same way, or Sela. We'd have probably still had an altered "YE" and no Sela is a good thing by me. Worf wouldn't have been as overexposed, and might have gone to DS9 from the start, two more good things.

Someone (I don't recall who) once suggested that Yar might have developed a relationship with Riker, which I would have really liked to see. I don't think it would have necessarily lasted the whole series, but I think it would have been interesting, to be sure.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 02:14 AM   #7
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Agreed. I could have done without the "Sela" character. I much preferred Tasha as Tasha and and see her grow and become fully realized. Worf could have stayed on, as I do like Worf. There were 7 seasons for development, everyone would have been covered with plenty to spare.

J.
Old June 7 2009, 02:18 AM   #8
Praetor
Vice Admiral

I, too, think Sela was just a bad idea. Even a brainwashed AU Tasha as Sela would be an improvement as far as I'm concerned, but avoiding her altogether would be better.

I think Worf would have probably stayed a more secondary character, with the occasional "very special" Klingon episodes staying more intact. I, personally, would have liked to have seen him go to DS9 in season six and become a full-fledged main character.

Alternately, what if Yar went to DS9? What if Yar became the captain of Voyager?
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 7 2009, 02:23 AM   #9
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

I just think Tasha Yar was a good character with a great background, I mean all of our protagonists have solid backgrounds, but Tasha's was unique in that she came from a failed Federation colony. Regardless of what the characters went through, they grew up in a civilization. Tasha had no such luxury and grew up in city streets and back alleys, fighting rape gangs and despots. Scratching out a living. She enters Starfleet and becomes Chief Security Officer on the U.S.S. Enterprise, the flagship of the fleet! Now there's Star Trek's philosophy in action!

J.
Old June 7 2009, 02:42 AM   #10
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Yeah, totally agreed. Plus, she was the one person on that ship that really had a unique background, other than Worf. Perhaps even more than Worf or Data, she was an outsider.
Old June 7 2009, 03:08 AM   #11
Jaespol
Captain

I love the blooper clip of Crosby failing to say "failed colony" over and over again haha.

I think that Crosby wasn't such a great actress but I don't really like it when any character leaves or gets booted off a tv show. There was plenty of room for all the characters to be developed with good writing and would have liked her to have stayed.
Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 04:25 AM   #12
Wingsley
Commodore

I'm torn on the Tasha question.

On the one hand, I think Denise Crosby did what she could with a role that wasn't much; Roddenberry and company simply didn't know what to do with the character. On the other hand, I think it was reasonable to show one of the "good guys" getting killed in the line of duty. It just doesn't make any sense when the cast of an adventure show keeps portraying all these dangerous situations any nobody comes out with more than a scratch.

All that being said, Crosby did a great tomboy impression for her role. I wish the show's writers and producers had given her more to work with. I would have loved to see her in a FIRST CONTACT-style situation, leading an armed team for a spacewalk on the ship's outer hull. And yes, I'll say it: I love her '80's hair. TNG gave us great '80's hair.
Old June 7 2009, 04:36 AM   #13
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Praetor wrote: View Post
Yeah, totally agreed. Plus, she was the one person on that ship that really had a unique background, other than Worf. Perhaps even more than Worf or Data, she was an outsider.
Yep. Emotionally and physically distant. Even Worf could connect to people with honor, but Tasha? No dice. Even amongst friends she always seemed a bit wary.

Oh, and Wingsley, yes, that kind of 80's hair was awesome. And the beautiful woman attached to it helps immensely.

J.
Old June 7 2009, 04:36 AM   #14
Captain Fine
Fleet Captain

View Captain Fine's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Captain Fine Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Captain Fine Send a message via Yahoo to Captain Fine

I really liked Tasha too. I think her character was ahead of her time in some ways.

That said, I really enjoyed her appearance in All Good Things. Think about it, she was in the pilot episode and the finale
Captain Fine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7 2009, 04:39 AM   #15
M
Vice Admiral

Another Tasha Yar fanboy here! I would have loved for her to stay. As others have (more eloquently) suggested, her background would have provided a lot of intriguing story possibilites. And since I never really was a fan of Worf, I would have preferred to have her as the chief of security for the whole run of the series. Plus, I loved Denise Crosby in the part.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote