RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,891
Posts: 5,476,620
Members: 25,050
Currently online: 575
Newest member: aloraptor

TrekToday headlines

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old June 5 2009, 04:09 PM   #16
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Nope, I did not see that.


J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:53 PM   #17
B.C.
Lieutenant
 
B.C.'s Avatar
 
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Let me start of by saying, I totally agree with the mediocre image quality. While Seasons 1 and 2 seem to look the worst, 3-7 don't look particularly "great" either.

The packaging, while sort of cool at first, just seems clunky over time. The interior digi-pack doesn't slide out of the exterior cardboard book all that easily. You have to unfold the digi-pack to get to the disc you want to watch. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I'd much rather have slim cases. Similar to those used in the fan collectives and most other TV shows on DVD.

I've been kicking around the idea of buying slim cases and my own artwork for the discs. Maybe that's a project better left to when I have an usual amount of free time on my hands.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:36 PM   #18
Falcor5
Fleet Captain
 
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Here's an example of the resolution on my television:

I did not modify this in any way other than to reduce image size:



This is from 3 feet away.
It's what you'd expect from a VHS tape if you had recorded it off of the TV on EP mode.

J.
Wow I dont remember it looking that bad! I will have to get my DVDs out. I have not watched Season 1 in awhile.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 01:57 AM   #19
Captrek
Rear Admiral
 
Captrek's Avatar
 
Location: second star to the right
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

B.C. wrote: View Post
The packaging, while sort of cool at first, just seems clunky over time.
What I have read (check out the reviews at Amazon) is that the packaging is very cheap and literally falls apart over time. And stunningly, there is no insert indicating which episodes are on which discs, and thatís a basic necessity in a 49-disc package, so you have to create one yourself, or else deal with a major pain in the ass whenever you want to watch a particular episode and have to find the disc that itís on. I realize that remastering the video may be impractical, but there are certain minimum standards for packaging of a set like this, and Paramount has failed to meet even those minimal standards. Selling it in this kind of a package is completely disrespectful to the material.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 07:03 AM   #20
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

I just hope the quality gets better later on. Even so, I love TNG and am thrilled to have the first season on DVD. It's not my favorite by a long shot, but I am a completist, and I will be purchasing these over time, in order, until I have all seven seasons.

J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 07:19 AM   #21
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral
 
Gep Malakai's Avatar
 
Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Here's an example of the resolution on my television:

I did not modify this in any way other than to reduce image size:



This is from 3 feet away.
It's what you'd expect from a VHS tape if you had recorded it off of the TV on EP mode.

J.
Holy. SHIT.


We should put together some kind of TrekUnited-type project to raise funds for Paramount to pay for an all-new edit of the show. Seriously. This sucks.
__________________
"From the darkness you must fall, failed and weak, to darkness all."
-Kataris
Gep Malakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 07:59 AM   #22
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Yeah, it's pretty bad. We probably won't see a remastering for a very long time.


J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 04:03 PM   #23
B.C.
Lieutenant
 
B.C.'s Avatar
 
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

I avoid having to deal with the actual DVDs too much, by ripping each episode onto my server and watching them via my AppleTV.

While I enjoy owning the actual DVDs, and of course paying the people who give me this enjoyment, in my opinion tangible media will become an endangered species. It's just much nicer to be able to take my collection of music, TV shows and movies with me. Whether that be on my desktop computer, on my 50" plasma (via AppleTV), on my laptop, or on my iPod.

captrek wrote: View Post
B.C. wrote: View Post
The packaging, while sort of cool at first, just seems clunky over time.
What I have read (check out the reviews at Amazon) is that the packaging is very cheap and literally falls apart over time. And stunningly, there is no insert indicating which episodes are on which discs, and thatís a basic necessity in a 49-disc package, so you have to create one yourself, or else deal with a major pain in the ass whenever you want to watch a particular episode and have to find the disc that itís on. I realize that remastering the video may be impractical, but there are certain minimum standards for packaging of a set like this, and Paramount has failed to meet even those minimal standards. Selling it in this kind of a package is completely disrespectful to the material.
B.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 09:36 PM   #24
Malcolm Orr
Ensign
 
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Just watched 'Lower Decks' and the image on it is, for the most part, excellent - the newer Ent-D is markedly better than the older one used in some shots. The clarity on the PS3 is great.

Then I put in series 2, 'Q Who' and it was still watchable, less detailed and higher contrast. Doesn't put me off. Some of the intermediate seasons have some grain, but otherwise it's OK.

I wonder if the DVDs are 'as good' as the master versions or whether they are poorer copies, or recorded more compressed. Many scenes should be amenable to upscaling with pretty good results.
Malcolm Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8 2009, 10:11 PM   #25
JoeD80
Captain
 
Location: Los Angeles
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Wow. That's a shame. I can watch TOS episodes in crystal clear high definition, the colors are sharp and bold, the lines crisp and detailed, yet TNG which was some 21 years later, looks old and outdated in quality. I guess they didn't think too far ahead on that one.
It's because TOS exists on film. You can just pick any resolution from there. TNG exists on videotape at the low resolution used by 80's/90's televisions, and flaws are accented with higher resolution devices.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 04:47 PM   #26
jefferiestubes8
Commodore
 
Location: New York City
surround sound

CaptainStoner wrote: View Post
As for the audio, I find I'm tweaking it a lot, trying to get the 5.1 track to sound decent though I'm using (4) 3-way speakers, so no center and no subwoofer hooked up.
Dolby Digital 5.1 relies on the center speaker for all dialogue and sound FX for every production. Occasionally you get non-essential dialogue source panned to L or R or even to a surround channel but you need to purchase a center speaker, really.
Budgets aside this sole thing will anchor your viewing experience to the dialogue coming from your screen.
Try a pawn shop to get a used one and/or a subwoofer speaker...
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9 2009, 11:12 PM   #27
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Some good points above by several posters.

So my friend comes over and watches an episode of TNG with me and I remark on the quality. He says it just reminds him of when the show was originally on cable and says I've become spoiled to DVD and HD. He's right.

However, his idea that it looks like how the show appeared on our local cable stations back in 1987/88 gives me an idea to simply pretend that's what I'm watching once more. Not a bad way to convince me, I might add.

J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 03:38 AM   #28
Hober Mallow
Commodore
 
Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

J. Allen wrote: View Post
Some good points above by several posters.

So my friend comes over and watches an episode of TNG with me and I remark on the quality. He says it just reminds him of when the show was originally on cable and says I've become spoiled to DVD and HD. He's right.

However, his idea that it looks like how the show appeared on our local cable stations back in 1987/88 gives me an idea to simply pretend that's what I'm watching once more. Not a bad way to convince me, I might add.

J.
That would be fine, except that it doesn't look the way it did when I was a kid watching it on an analog TV. The more video technology improves, the more the flaws in the image quality become more and more obvious.
__________________
"Beep... beep!" --Captain Pike
Hober Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 04:52 AM   #29
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
J. Allen wrote: View Post
Some good points above by several posters.

So my friend comes over and watches an episode of TNG with me and I remark on the quality. He says it just reminds him of when the show was originally on cable and says I've become spoiled to DVD and HD. He's right.

However, his idea that it looks like how the show appeared on our local cable stations back in 1987/88 gives me an idea to simply pretend that's what I'm watching once more. Not a bad way to convince me, I might add.

J.
That would be fine, except that it doesn't look the way it did when I was a kid watching it on an analog TV. The more video technology improves, the more the flaws in the image quality become more and more obvious.
Well, our local cable station and FOX affiliate sucked anyway.

J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 04:56 AM   #30
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral
 
GalaxyX's Avatar
 
Location: Canada
Re: TNG DVD Transfers

Who cares about Region 2 packaging? Real people live in Region 1.
LMAO!!!! Too awesome!!!

Anyway, I never bothered to buy the DVD's because TNG was overplayed for like a decade on a ton of Networks. I got to see every single episode just watching TV

The crazy prices they were asking for the DVD sets (over $100 when they came out) was just ridiculous.

Now they are trying to sell them again with another repackaging. Paramount, why don't you just REMASTER the series like you did with TOS???

You dumped some good cash into Star Trek IX but it payed off for you, TNG would be the same.
__________________
Top Gear America: Jay Leno, Adam Carolla, Tim Allen. DONE!
GalaxyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
dvd, remastered, season one, star trek

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:24 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.