New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old June 5 2009, 12:32 PM   #1591
TedShatner10
Commodore

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

Count me in as another supporter of "Living Witness" and the writer who done this also wrote the script for Heroes' "Company Man" and was a head writer/producer for the much missed Pushing Daisies.

Here is my ratings breakdown for Season Two, personally arguably the most uneven and weakest VOY season:

"The 37s" - 6/10
"Initiations" - 4/10
"Projections" - 9/10
"Elogium" - 3/10
"Non Sequitur" - 4/10
"Twisted" - 3/10
"Parturition" - 5/10
"Persistance of Vision" - 5/10
"Tatoo" - 3/10 (arguably patronising racist undertones)
"Cold Fire" - 5/10
"Maneuvers" - 6/10
"Resistance" - 7/10
"Prototype" - 6/10
"Alliances" - 5/10
"Threshold" - -1/10 (Braga divided by zero)
"Meld" - 7/10 (great guest star elevates proceedings)
"Dreadnought" - 4/10
"Death Wish" - 8/10
"Lifesigns" - 6/10
"Investigations" - 5/10
"Deadlock" - 7/10 (good episode but silly resolution)
"Innocence" - 2/10 (dumber reproduction cycle than the Ocompa's)
"The Thaw" - 8/10
"Tuvix" - 7/10
"Resolutions" - 4/10
"Basics Pt. 1" - 6/10
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:29 PM   #1592
Jaespol
Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
Well, it wasn't the "real" Doctor technically. Which could have almost been a whole episode topic unto itself...
It was the real doctor.

@Tedshatner10, you're accidentally scoring some episodes out of 5 instead of 10.
Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:22 PM   #1593
Praetor
Vice Admiral

It was a backup copy of the "original" Doctor. While it was the same in all other ways to the "real" Doctor that went home with Voyager, it wasn't quite the same. It was a little like a reverse of the Will/Tom Riker scenario. They were the same up to a point, but after that they diverged.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:37 PM   #1594
Jaespol
Captain

It was a backup copy of the "original" Doctor. While it was the same in all other ways to the "real" Doctor that went home with Voyager, it wasn't quite the same. It was a little like a reverse of the Will/Tom Riker scenario. They were the same up to a point, but after that they diverged.
So it was our doctor that we had seen up the that point, he still had all the memories and experiences of our doctor, he was the same program. And that made it sad.
Old June 5 2009, 06:16 PM   #1595
TedShatner10
Commodore

Jaespol wrote: View Post
@Tedshatner10, you're accidentally scoring some episodes out of 5 instead of 10.
Doh, so I was.

This how I rate Season Four (again):

"Scorpion Pt. 2" - 8/10
"The Gift" - 7/10
"Day of Honor" - 7/10
"Nemesis" - 6/10
"Revulsion" - 7/10
"The Raven" - 8/10
"Scientific Method" - 6/10
"Year of Hell Pt. 1" - 9/10
"Year of Hell Pt. 2" - 7/10
"Random Thoughts" - 6/10
"Concerning Flight" - 5/10
"Mortal Coil" - 8/10
"Waking Moments" - 6/10
"Message in a Bottle" - 9/10
"Hunters" - 8/10
"Prey" - 8/10
"Retrospect" - 7/10
"The Killing Game Pt. 1" - 6/10
"The Killing Game Pt. 2" - 4/10
"Vis a Vis" - 5/10
"The Omega Directive" - 6/10
"Unforgettable" - 4/10
"Living Witness" - 10/10
"Demon" - 3/10
"One" - 8/10
"Hope and Fear" - 7/10
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 06:30 PM   #1596
AdmiralSteven
Lieutenant Commander

Tachyon wrote: View Post
Caretaker is an excellent pilot. Compared to TNG's pilot, which was a little ridiculous even, Caretaker is simply superb. Emissary was okay for me, but it did not hook me to the show sameway as Caretaker did.

For me the concept of being alone in another side of the galaxy was simply fascinating. When that was added to interesting characters, there was no way for me to dislike it.
I agree with the bolded part. Being stranded in a distant part of the galaxy was fascinating to me and one of the main reasons I watched it...not to mention how they would solve having the Maquis crew on board Voyager.
Old June 5 2009, 09:08 PM   #1597
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Jaespol wrote: View Post
So it was our doctor that we had seen up the that point, he still had all the memories and experiences of our doctor, he was the same program. And that made it sad.
I agree. I felt bad for him, but at the same time I felt pretty confident that the "original" Doc had made it home with the crew by the time everything in "Living Witness" was going on, so it made me feel differently sad for this Doc. It's surprising this Doc didn't have more of an identity crisis.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old June 5 2009, 11:22 PM   #1598
Jaespol
Captain

AdmiralSteven wrote: View Post

I agree with the bolded part. Being stranded in a distant part of the galaxy was fascinating to me and one of the main reasons I watched it...not to mention how they would solve having the Maquis crew on board Voyager.
You must have been highly disappointed then.
Old June 6 2009, 12:02 AM   #1599
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Demon (*)

The ship has suddenly run out of power and the crew are forced to evacuate to only a small number of decks. When did this happen? It seems rather sudden considering the extreme measures being taken, but I guess we'll get an interesting story about the crew rationing things now, eh?

They land on a planet and get replicated by pools mercury, you say? Oh boy...

It is hard to pin just why this episode fails, it's a perfect storm of suckiness. The humour is bad, there is a group of scenes between Tom and Harry at the beginning where they say lame jokes to one another until you just wish they would suffocate. Then their air runs out and they suffocate, and the episode earns itself a point. While this is happening there is some "hilarious" scenes where Neelix moves into sickbay with three mutes and they annoy Dr Shmully, but sadly none of them suffocate.

Then there's a whole bunch of crap about silver blood trying to eat the ship, B'Elanna talked to Vorrik in engineering because he is now her deputy (poor Carey), and Tom and Harry manage to survive for around 8 hours without oxygen. To finish it off the whole crew replicate themselves and leave silver blood clones on the planet. I'm not even going to get into how stupid that is.
Old June 6 2009, 12:09 AM   #1600
Praetor
Vice Admiral

"Demon."

TAS already went the "two crewmembers altered by a planet" route in "The Ambergris Element," although "Demon" puts the twist of it not actually being them. The only good thing to come out of "Demon" is "Course: Oblivion."

I can't help but feel that a good version of "Demon" was the "repairs" episode we needed after "The Killing Game."
Old June 6 2009, 12:39 AM   #1601
Dane_Whitman
Fleet Captain

Demon is a mess, but it's also a visual treat.

- Bertrand Russell
Dane_Whitman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 12:39 AM   #1602
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

Demon was just boring. I didn't think it was bad but being uninteresting or a chore can be just as damning as being outright awful.

The mystery was boring. The jokes were tired. Harry, Paris, EMH, Tuvok, Neelix just looked bad.

I give it 2 stars.
The only good thing to come out of "Demon" is "Course: Oblivion."
I wouldn't call that good. I'd call it a "Demon" spawn. I thought it wasn't very good and it didn't help season five by being a part of its own crappy back-to-back run of episodes along with "The Fight" and "The Disease".
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 03:03 AM   #1603
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Demon

I agree that Demon was stupid, I mean, how did Tom and Harry survive for 8 hours without oxygen??

But I did like its follow-up episode later on in season 5 with "Course: Oblivion". That episode was sad .

The lame jokes between Tom and Harry were apparently one of the producers asking the writers to highlight the fact that some of the cast members were putting on weight and that they needed to start exercising. Heard it in a Garrett Wang interview. But still, is ridiculous. You're about to suffocate! Stop wasting oxygen by talking and hold your damn breath!
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 06:22 AM   #1604
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Demon, as silly as it is, is still somewhat enjoyable episode for me.
Old June 6 2009, 06:29 AM   #1605
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Urh, ANOTHER episode I couldn't watch more than ten minutes of before turning the TV off in disgust last time they played. Setting aside the stuff about how dueterium is an isotope of hydrogen, the most common element in the universe, you mean to tell me that Voyager let their reserves get so low before they started looking for refueling? That's like driving into the middle of a desert and not looking for the gas station until after you've hit 'E'! And that doesn't get into turning off the extra drains on the resources until that point as well...

Likewise, I hated the overbearing way Tuvok was portrayed - no books, standard issue blanket only... Come ON! Like any member of the crew, not just Neelix, bringing a handful of personal effects is going to be that problematic?
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote