Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old June 4 2009, 08:36 PM   #16
nx1701g
Admiral

Re: What bridge design do you like?

The Enterprise-E is my personal favorite.
Old June 4 2009, 08:39 PM   #17
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
The Enterprise-A in TUC also looked really great - it looked real. The details were really nice, and I liked the mix of okudagrams with tacticle buttons (kind of a transitional phase from the 23rd century designs to the 24th century designs). I really liked the elements of realism that directory Nicholas Meyer injected into the films he directed. The ship's sets really looked believable.
And fire extinguishers, don't forget those!
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:14 AM   #18
trevanian
Rear Admiral

Klingon bridge from TMP.

After that, probably the TFF Ent bridge, and the subsequent rework fof that into the E-B bridge for GEN.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:18 AM   #19
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

My favorite's probably the TFF bridge. Sleek and simple. No gimmicky freestanding consoles facing in inneficient directions, no unecessary level changes. A very nice updating of the TOS bridge.
Old June 5 2009, 01:22 AM   #20
M
Vice Admiral

Technically it's not a bridge, but I love the design of the Ops on Deep Space Nine. That's one huge set (at least it appears to be huge).

But I guess my favorite will always be the bridge of the original Enterprise. I love the colors, the boxy computers and all the little buttons on the black consoles. I'm also fond of the moiré pattern on Spock's scanner and love Sulu's extendable tactical screen. I must also admit that I'm very much attached to the set for very sentimental reasons.

Honorable mentions also go to the bridge of the NX-01, which looks very functional, and the bridge of the Enterprise-D, because it introduced the wonderfully clean and sleek look of the Okudagrams.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:45 AM   #21
Anticitizen
Fleet Captain

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
But I guess my favorite will always be the bridge of the original Enterprise. I love the colors, the boxy computers and all the little buttons on the black consoles. I'm also fond of the moiré pattern on Spock's scanner and love Sulu's extendable tactical screen. I must also admit that I'm very much attached to the set for very sentimental reasons.
I'm with you. In my late teens, I got caught up with later implementations because I thought they were 'cooler'. Now that I'm older, I find I have a strong fondness for the TOS bridge, including the red and green mood lighting on the ceiling above the consoles
Anticitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 01:53 AM   #22
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Warp Coil wrote: View Post
I really disliked the Enterprise-D bridge from the TNG series, but I'm amazed at how nice it looked in GEN. The upgrades really went a long way at making a boring hotel lounge turn into something that resembled a functioning nerve center of a starship. The added consoles, new paint job, video monitors, etc. really made that set look nice.
I very much agree with this sentiment.

Oh, GEN bridge, you went too soon!
Old June 5 2009, 02:47 AM   #23
SFRabid
Commodore

NX-01 and Defiant. They were functional and realistic. Least favorite is TNG (Enterprise D?). It's obvious that it was laid out so that the entire crew could be seen in a single shot I never liked the home theater look with everyone facing a big screen. Why not face each other with individual screens?
SFRabid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 09:08 AM   #24
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

AdmiralSteven wrote: View Post
However, over all I like the layout of the bridge on Voyager better. I like how Voyager’s Ops and Tactical stations are in their own little cubby hole (for the lack of a better term) and therefore have a clear view to the main view screen. I also like how Voyager’s bridge is a bit roomier…people just don’t seem to be on top of each other.
I agree with you on this one, I like the fact that all the major stations had large amount of available consoles to use, yet all the stations could still see the main viewer without heavy restriction. The fact that Engineering and Science still got decent 'alcoves', even though they seemed a bit distant from the rest of the bridge, is an improvement over designs (as opposed to the single 'workstations' that they seemed to get on the E-D). The bridge seemed like you could pull off commanding a small fleet with the amount of available control surfaces, and even individual stations could reasonably look like they could control the entire ship if necessary.
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 09:11 AM   #25
kv1at3485
Commodore

I don't understand how people like Defiant's bridge. Having the helm/ops guys head obstructing the CO's view of the tiny main view screen is a good thing?
kv1at3485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 09:29 AM   #26
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

kv1at3485 wrote: View Post
I don't understand how people like Defiant's bridge. Having the helm/ops guys head obstructing the CO's view of the tiny main view screen is a good thing?
Well isn't the captain's chair somewhat raised over the helm's position? Albeit not by much...
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 12:54 PM   #27
AdmiralSteven
Lieutenant Commander

SilentP wrote: View Post
AdmiralSteven wrote: View Post
However, over all I like the layout of the bridge on Voyager better. I like how Voyager’s Ops and Tactical stations are in their own little cubby hole (for the lack of a better term) and therefore have a clear view to the main view screen. I also like how Voyager’s bridge is a bit roomier…people just don’t seem to be on top of each other.
I agree with you on this one, I like the fact that all the major stations had large amount of available consoles to use, yet all the stations could still see the main viewer without heavy restriction. The fact that Engineering and Science still got decent 'alcoves', even though they seemed a bit distant from the rest of the bridge, is an improvement over designs (as opposed to the single 'workstations' that they seemed to get on the E-D). The bridge seemed like you could pull off commanding a small fleet with the amount of available control surfaces, and even individual stations could reasonably look like they could control the entire ship if necessary.
I'd forgotten about Engineering and and Sciences alcoves, definately a plus.
Old June 5 2009, 07:46 PM   #28
sbk1234
Rear Admiral

Voyager, TWOK Enterrpise, and TUC Excelsior.

"It's a fucking TV show!" - Gary Lockwood
sbk1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 10:57 PM   #29
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

Herkimer Jitty wrote: View Post
My favorite's probably the TFF bridge. Sleek and simple. No gimmicky freestanding consoles facing in inneficient directions, no unecessary level changes. A very nice updating of the TOS bridge.
Mine too. As I've stated elsewhere, I was dissapointed we didn't see it again in STVI.
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6 2009, 12:18 AM   #30
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

We did, it just had the turbo alcoves relocated and everything "dressed up".

I did like the improved red alert lighting scheme and the red doors, but that's about it.