Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 15 2009, 11:56 AM   #16
Crewman47
Commodore

Re: Define Vulcan love. Sexual and Paternal.

Was the Vulcan Priestess, mother of Sybok, Sareks first wife, making Amanda 2nd and Perrin 3rd, or was she just a one night stand? How much of an age difference is there between Sybok than Spock anyway?
Crewman47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:58 AM   #17
Cave Canis
Ensign

I too think Vulcan's have deep, profound emotions and passion but have developed the ability to "control it lest it control them" (Sarek to Spock - Star Trek XI). And Spock must contend with his human side which has less ability to control those emotions. And too, in ST XI he is a young Vulcan not having gone through Kalinar yet so it might have been even more difficult for him.

It does raise a question for me.... how would Spock learn how to please a human woman? How did that relationship begin? Just curious...

Cave Canis
Cave Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 07:50 AM   #18
SilentP
Commodore

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to SilentP

Cave Canis wrote: View Post
It does raise a question for me.... how would Spock learn how to please a human woman?
I'm sure the 23rd Century still has, ahem, literature dealing with the subject
SilentP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:07 PM   #19
barnaclelapse
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to barnaclelapse

JustKate wrote: View Post
Mr. Scott wrote: View Post
I haven't seen Star Trek 11, (I live in the Zhong Guo Federation and haven't seen it yet, hopefully I can see it next week) but I want to know if they expain this backstory.

http://www.trekcore.com/specials/rare/Sarek_Family.jpg

This crazy family................................

Does the movie explain how Serek and his wife met in the first place? What did she see in the man? Serek was a humorless fellow. Very Vulcan, very unemotional

Explain Vulcan sexuality as it is expalined in the series? I know about "Ponn Farr" where Vulcans go into mating season once every seven years, and that they have to go back to the person that they were bonded to (arranged marriage) to meet. I have always thought this was a retarded plotline, but how else can the writers explain sexuality in an unemotional species of people? How can a human like her get that handsome Vulcan into bed?

How can someone relate to an unemotional person. How does the unemotional person care about anyone else? If you are unemotional, you do not care about anything. Your family, your life or yourself. Maybe a fatalist worldview.

Then Serek in TNG marries a second human! I think that was a dumb device, maybe Serek should have married a Vulcan woman, maybe the woman that he was originally bonded to.
In the first place, as others have pointed out, Vulcans do experience emotions. Their mission, if I can call it that, is to make sure those emotions don't cloud their judgment or cause them to do things that should not be done...or not do things that should be done. I don't see anything incompatable with that and loving your spouse and kids.

In the second place, there is no evidence that Vulcans can have sex only during pon farr - they are driven to mate then, but they can presumably have sex anytime they want to, just like us humans. There is canonical evidence, both overt and implied, that this is so.

Finally, it's obvious to many present-day human females exactly what Amanda and Sarek's second wife saw in Sarek. Really. He's a very attractive man. So's Spock. Lots and lots and lots of female Trek fans preferred them to Kirk back in the day - and I was (and am) one of them. I think the network was kind of surprised by Sarek's and Spock's sexual appeal, actually.
Exactly. It's just easier to try and put the whole thing under lock and key than it is to deal with the emotions on a moment-to-moment basis, though Spock seems to prove that it's certainly possible for a Vulcan to live like that.

As for Spock/Sarek, I actually had no idea Sarek had the sex symbol thing going as well.

Even in the new movie? Really?
barnaclelapse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 01:03 PM   #20
stoneagepunk
Lieutenant

I actually never understood, why Sarek and Amanda married. I can understand that Amanda was attracted to Sarek, but it seems illogical that a vulcan marries a human woman.
I am very upset with Sarek about the way he treated Spock. and I imagine Amanda must have been upset too.

Why would Sarek sulk, only because spock decided to join Star Fleet? That's an emotional reaction.
Old June 10 2009, 01:29 PM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

stoneagepunk wrote: View Post
I actually never understood, why Sarek and Amanda married. I can understand that Amanda was attracted to Sarek, but it seems illogical that a vulcan marries a human woman.
I am very upset with Sarek about the way he treated Spock. and I imagine Amanda must have been upset too.

Why would Sarek sulk, only because spock decided to join Star Fleet? That's an emotional reaction.
Sarek has always slightly disapproved of Spock's Starfleet career, but the new movie leads us to believe that this is because Spock chose against joining the Vulcan Science Academy. I don't think Sarek ever treated Spock badly, though. I'm not sure where you're getting that. He was always a very loving father, even if Spock's career choice may have initially disappointed him.

As for marriage, why is it illogical for Sarek to marry Amanda? Sarek loved her. She loved him. It also provided a way for him to learn more about humans for his work as Ambassador. I'm not seeing the problem.
Old June 10 2009, 02:10 PM   #22
JustKate
Rear Admiral

barnaclelapse wrote: View Post
As for Spock/Sarek, I actually had no idea Sarek had the sex symbol thing going as well.

Even in the new movie? Really?
The new Sarek, you mean? Hmmm, not sure. I can't say he did much for me (he was, for most of the movie, much more of a crusty old guy than Mark Lenard's Sarek ever was), but I would be pretty surprised if nobody found him attractive.

But the new Spock is a definite yes on the sex symbol thing, of course.

RoJoHen wrote:
Sarek has always slightly disapproved of Spock's Starfleet career, but the new movie leads us to believe that this is because Spock chose against joining the Vulcan Science Academy. I don't think Sarek ever treated Spock badly, though. I'm not sure where you're getting that. He was always a very loving father, even if Spock's career choice may have initially disappointed him.
That's my impression as well - in TOS, TNG and the new movie. Lots of human dads disapprove of some of the choices their children make, but that doesn't mean they don't love them.

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
As for marriage, why is it illogical for Sarek to marry Amanda? Sarek loved her. She loved him. It also provided a way for him to learn more about humans for his work as Ambassador. I'm not seeing the problem.
Me, either. If nobody got married until he found a person with whom he would never be in conflict...well, nobody would ever get married.

Last edited by JustKate; June 10 2009 at 09:07 PM.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10 2009, 08:54 PM   #23
KimMH
Rear Admiral

^^^^

QFT.

Last edited by KimMH; June 11 2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: who in the name of corn cant spell an acronym?*sheepishly raises hand*
KimMH is online now   Reply With Quote