Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old June 5 2009, 02:35 AM   #1
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
TNG DVD Transfers

Hey folks,

Today I was in a local Walmart and saw that they had Seasons One and Two of Star Trek: TNG on DVD. I was ecstatic and purchased Season One (I could only afford one season). The boxes look great, and you could tell they put a lot of work into the presentation of the set. So I brought them home and popped Disc One into the DVD player. Menus good, extras good, but the video quality was less than good. It's mediocre at best. Better than VHS but not as good as DVD. I mean, it just doesn't look like the video transferred very well at all. I can live with it, but it's the sound too. There are times when it's fuzzy, and I wonder if it's just me or if this is common.

Aside from that, I am happy to have Season One and hope to collect all 7 seasons, but this is a little troubling. If this is common for Season One, is it common for all seven seasons?

J.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 03:08 AM   #2
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Re: TNG DVD Transfers

I haven't watched my TNG discs in a while but I remember season 1 and 2 being particularily bad. If I remember correctly, there's a minor improvement from season 3 onwards, but it's still pretty bad and particularily fuzzy as DVDs go. As for the sound, I haven't noticed any fuzziness, it's not the best sound quality I've heard on a DVD but it's not noticably bad (though my hearing isn't exactly the best).

I'm not sure if the R1 and R2 discs use the same transfers, but I assume they do.

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Geckothan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 03:54 AM   #3
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I wonder why it looks like that. If I sit about 5 feet away from my 22" TV it looks good. Any closer and I can see the pixelation and fuzziness. It's not my TV because other DVDs I play look great. It's not my player for the same reason. And to think these were selling for $120 not too long ago. Hm.

J.
"If you'd come today you would've reached a whole nation. Israel in 4 B.C. had no mass communication. " - Judas, Jesus Christ Superstar
Old June 5 2009, 04:12 AM   #4
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

TNG seasons 1&2 were mastered to 1" analog videotape. It degrades over time like 15 year old VHS tapes.
see this thread for more details on TNG and DVD / remastering to HD details.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=91561
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:12 AM   #5
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

TNG just never looked particularily good. I guess they didn't have DVD in mind when they were making it, seeing as they did all of the post-production on NTSC video. When you watch it on VHS, you don't really notice how bad the picture is, but DVD really brings it out.

Edit: Beaten to it

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Old June 5 2009, 04:14 AM   #6
Captrek
Rear Admiral

I’ve also heard terrible things about the packaging of the full series box set. It sounds like Paramount just doesn’t care very much about these DVDs.

Which is a shame. I own all of TOS-R on DVD. The video, of course, is excellent, and the packaging is amazing.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:32 AM   #7
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

Region 2 TNG packaging used to be great (the new slimline packaging is so cheap and lazy), at least the attention to detail was, it was annoying unfolding the long Digipak book thing to get to the disc you wanted and the hubs would eat up discs though.

Also, there's the borg cube!

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Old June 5 2009, 04:35 AM   #8
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
TNG seasons 1&2 were mastered to 1" analog videotape. It degrades over time like 15 year old VHS tapes.
see this thread for more details on TNG and DVD / remastering to HD details.
http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=91561
Wow. That's a shame. I can watch TOS episodes in crystal clear high definition, the colors are sharp and bold, the lines crisp and detailed, yet TNG which was some 21 years later, looks old and outdated in quality. I guess they didn't think too far ahead on that one.

Geckothan wrote: View Post
TNG just never looked particularily good. I guess they didn't have DVD in mind when they were making it, seeing as they did all of the post-production on NTSC video. When you watch it on VHS, you don't really notice how bad the picture is, but DVD really brings it out.

It's alright. I still care.

J.
Old June 5 2009, 04:45 AM   #9
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Who cares about Region 2 packaging? Real people live in Region 1.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 04:48 AM   #10
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

^ Actually, that packaging looks awesome! All Region One has is cardboard.

J.
Old June 5 2009, 04:57 AM   #11
CaptainStoner
Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen

Geckothan wrote: View Post

Yeah. Its sub-DVD resolution to begin with.

As for the audio, I find I'm tweaking it a lot, trying to get the 5.1 track to sound decent though I'm using (4) 3-way speakers, so no center and no subwoofer hooked up.
It's great for music, but for tng it sometimes sounds better in 2.0
CaptainStoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5 2009, 05:02 AM   #12
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

captrek wrote: View Post
It sounds like Paramount just doesn’t care very much about these DVDs.
There's nothing Paramount can do about it. That's what TNG looks like. The only thing they can do is find all the original film and put all seven years of the series through post-production all over again, reediting every scene, redoing all the visual FX. They can keep the music and sound FX, though. It's still going to take time and cost a pretty penny. Paramount "caring more" isn't going to improve TNG's resolution.
Old June 5 2009, 05:06 AM   #13
Geckothan
Fleet Captain

captrek wrote: View Post
Who cares about Region 2 packaging? Real people live in Region 1.
Paramount clearly disagrees seeing as they cheap out on your packaging!

RIP Star Trek 1964-1999
Old June 5 2009, 08:14 AM   #14
J. Allen
I Only Want To Know

Here's an example of the resolution on my television:

I did not modify this in any way other than to reduce image size:

This is from 3 feet away.
It's what you'd expect from a VHS tape if you had recorded it off of the TV on EP mode.

J.
Old June 5 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
LitmusDragon
Commodore

Yes it really looks bad doesn't it? I don't know if you saw it but there's a thread already started about what it would take to remaster TNG here.
LitmusDragon is offline   Reply With Quote