Saldana In The Book of Life
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Beltran Introduces Shakespeare To Theater Group

Burton To Be Honored at Facets Boo! Bash

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old June 4 2009, 03:48 AM   #1
Silversmok3
Commander

Romulus in Prime timeline [spoilers]

What happens back in the 24th century,now that the Romulans have no home planet?IIRC they still had some political issues to sort out before the Hobus Nova blew away the Romulan (and Reman,by extension) HQ.

BTW,I'm excluding any events in 'Countdown' from my quiry and am focusing exclusively on what's seen on film,although its safe to assume what destroys Romulus will probably hurt Remus badly given the worlds' proximity to each other.
Old June 4 2009, 03:55 AM   #2
BriGuy
Rear Admiral

Re: Now that Romulus is history...

The Romulans in the prime timeline are in the same boat as the Vulcans in the alternate timeline, I'd think. Although there's no info on how many survivors there were from Romulus, whereas we were told the survivor count from Vulcan was in the range of 10,000 - substantially less than the survivor count from the new BSG.
BriGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 03:59 AM   #3
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Re: Romulus in Prime timeline [spoilers]

Thread title amended to remove spoilers.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:18 AM   #4
Peter the Younger
Commodore

Well they do have an empire to fall back on, although the loss of life, culture, and production would be crippling. I expect various colonial governors and military officials would try to seize control, and a big ol' civil war would break out. Also, The Klingons would no doubt be tempted to take advantage of the situation, too.

Come to think of it, that might tie nicely into the Star Trek MMO timeline: if the Klingons did try to make a grab for Romulan space, the Federation would no doubt oppose it, and the khitomer Accords would collapse (again.) This would fit the situation that is supposedly going to exist at the outset of the game.

Peter the Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:18 AM   #5
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Of course, it's always possible that the future Romulus might NOT be destroyed since the *prime* timeline has been altered as a result of Nero's actions.
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:20 AM   #6
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

butlerd wrote: View Post
the *prime* timeline has been altered as a result of Nero's actions.
No, it hasn't.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:37 AM   #7
Silversmok3
Commander

Of course, it's always possible that the future Romulus might NOT be destroyed since the *prime* timeline has been altered as a result of Nero's actions.
Even in the alternate timeline,the Hobus star is *still* gonna bust a Nova.If Romulus doesn't get its act together ..again... Its still gonna get wasted in the alternate 24th century...again.

Unless Nero spent some of those 25 years trying to move the Hobus star with the Narada..
Old June 4 2009, 04:45 AM   #8
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

who knows romulans may ask for peace after what happened to vulcan.
it may be a shock to the system at just how dangerous their unbridled passions can be.

as for romulan empire prime..
evidently it took a lot of time and war, conflict to keep it together.
they evidently had been dealing with internal wars just before balance of terror.

there already were signs things were coming apart ,, that draconian measures were not working as well.
now the homeworld and possible the entire solar system of the home world is gone.

it depends just how spread out was the romulan military infrastructure.
it could be civil war or a rebellion.
Old June 4 2009, 04:46 AM   #9
startrekwatcher
Rear Admiral

I have no objection to the destruction of Romulus. My problem was that it was treated simply as a means to an end. I guess Abrams point of view is that the film isn't about the prime universe but this new rebooted one so very little focus should be given it--so most non-fans would care less.

But as a long time fan I was disappointed that the last we see of the 24th century, of the prime universe and of Romulus is a 30 second at most quick flash of it being destroyed. I didn't like being left hanging like that. In fact, the more I think about it the more I'm interested in the late 24th century, the prime universe and the destruction of Romulus than I am in the 23rd century and Vulcan's destruction.

Frankly, if the Romulan civilization was going to be annihilated I would have much preferred it to have received a better treatment. I've always found the rumored idea by Maurice Hurley of having the Federation discover it was destroyed/assimilated by the Borg to have been a better sendoff than this.
startrekwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 04:47 AM   #10
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

Babaganoosh wrote: View Post
No, it hasn't.
Ummmmm.......Vulcan no longer exists?

And who knows how that (or any number of other things) might affect Romulus' existence and/or the ability of the Federation to prevent the catastrophe that befell it?
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 05:13 AM   #11
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

startrekwatcher wrote: View Post
I have no objection to the destruction of Romulus. My problem was that it was treated simply as a means to an end. I guess Abrams point of view is that the film isn't about the prime universe but this new rebooted one so very little focus should be given it--so most non-fans would care less.
After their great re-introduction in TNG's "The Neutral Zone," helped in large part by Andrew Probert's incredibly cool Warbird ship design, the Romulans quickly devolved into generic, black hat-wearing, bad-for-badness sake villains. Few species of the 1.0 universe's 24th century interested me less than the Romulans did.
Old June 4 2009, 05:15 AM   #12
xman
Commander

No, it hasn't.
Has too!
Old June 4 2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
After their great re-introduction in TNG's "The Neutral Zone," helped in large part by Andrew Probert's incredibly cool Warbird ship design, the Romulans quickly devolved into generic, black hat-wearing, bad-for-badness sake villains. Few species of the 1.0 universe's 24th century interested me less than the Romulans did.
Indeed... The Romulans as a story race had an ongoing identity crisis, as the Klingons filled the role of the 'warrior' race. For a while, the Romulans tended to be masters of spycraft, subterfuge, and indirect warfare... then the Cardassians came along and did it FAR better, leaving them with little to no niche left to inhabit, except as the Alpha Quadrant's resident contrarian race... which, frankly, made them predictable and boring...
Bonzo the Fifth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 05:29 AM   #14
George Steinbrenner
Fleet Admiral

View George Steinbrenner's Twitter Profile

No, it hasn't.
Ummmmm.......Vulcan no longer exists?
That's in *this* timeline. The timeline of the 2009 film. This does not overwrite (or change in any way) the original, i.e. 'prime' timeline.
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
George Steinbrenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4 2009, 05:31 AM   #15
clint g
Admiral

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I actually felt the opposite way. Out of the big three powers (the klingons, romulans, and federation) i found the romulans to be the most interesting, simply because of their sneaky ways