A Baby For Saldana
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Klingon Beer Arrives In The US
By: T'Bonz on Jul 22

Star Trek: Prelude To Axanar

Abrams Announces Star Wars: Force For Change Sweepstakes

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old May 22 2009, 11:12 PM   #31
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile
Re: Spock's full name

garamet wrote: View Post
And I for one love reading that kind of thing, in any universe. I've been known to laugh out loud and mutter "Oh, you clever s.o.b.!" when I come across something like that in anyone's work.
My other DC Fontana anecdote:

Her novel "Vulcan's Glory" (Feb 89) was in final revisions at about the same time as the "Spock will have a brother in ST V" rumours, and people in my club were anxious about whether she'd have had time to be able to address the issue in the novel, since the film was due in June of the same year. In media interviews at the time of Director Shatner's announcements for the movie, both Roddenberry and Fontana doubted that Spock ever had siblings (and in memos during the show in the 60s, Fontana would suggest that not having siblings made Spock more unique).

I was kinda, sorta, almost expecting a line in the book about Spock having no brothers, but one that left wiggle room for fanon interpretations that wouldn't be undermined by the still-to-come canonical movie, but DC actually went one further and had Amanda say to Spock, "You are the only child of Sarek."

DC wasn't breaking canon, since that movie wasn't out yet, but it was a sneaky little line that even ruled out half-brothers, and could have been so easily swept away by an editor's red pencil. Or had she written that line long before the news even broke?

When I asked her about it, she gave me a sly grin and said, "I'm thrilled that you noticed."
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 12:24 AM   #32
Trent Roman
Rear Admiral

T'Ressa Dax wrote: View Post
"There are 3 Sareks in Shikahr, which would you like to contact?" hehe
"The stodgy one."

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman
Old May 23 2009, 04:50 AM   #33
Firebird
Lieutenant

C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Personally, "Spock, Son of Sarek" was always good enough for me...
Works well enough for me. Some cultures, I believe, don't even have family names, correct? So, it's entirely possible that "Spock" is his only name, everything else could just be a Terran interpretation of the Vulcan language.
Old May 23 2009, 07:24 AM   #34
captcalhoun
Admiral

some Arab folks don't use family names like us in the West. their names translates as:

Mohammed son of Hussein, son of Omar, son of Tariq, son of Hussein, from Kirkuk

and that's a short one. check out Alexander Siddig's son's full name some time...
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:31 AM   #35
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

iguana_tonante wrote: View Post
Incorrect. It's Harold. His mom confirmed so.
Or Steve
Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23 2009, 07:31 AM   #36
Claudia
Fleet Captain

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
I was kinda, sorta, almost expecting a line in the book about Spock having no brothers, but one that left wiggle room for fanon interpretations that wouldn't be undermined by the still-to-come canonical movie, but DC actually went one further and had Amanda say to Spock, "You are the only child of Sarek."
But OTOH, since Sybok was ostracized by all Vulcans and therefore by his family, Amanda could be right in that statement strictly from a Vulcan (Sarek's) perspective, even taking STV into account.
Old May 23 2009, 08:43 AM   #37
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Claudia wrote: View Post
But OTOH, since Sybok was ostracized by all Vulcans and therefore by his family, Amanda could be right in that statement strictly from a Vulcan (Sarek's) perspective, even taking STV into account.
Yeah, but we didn't know those details until the film came out!
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 02:04 PM   #38
NathanielM
Captain

captcalhoun wrote: View Post
it's from a novel. it's also wrong. everyone knows Spock's first name is Carl.
ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!111

WOO HOO Gigalo Carl Spock Esq.

"Puff and pass Baby.. Puff and PAAASSS." - Gigalo Carl Spock, Esq.
NathanielM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 04:19 PM   #39
Newspaper Taxi
Captain

Has anyone ever seen the "Super Mario Brothers" movie? There's a scene where Mario and Luigi are arrested by a police officer who asks for their full names. Mario reveals his last name is Mario, and Luigi's last name is Mario, hence the "Mario Brothers."

I would be quite happy to have a Spock-Spock.
Old June 2 2009, 04:48 PM   #40
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Firebird wrote: View Post
C.E. Evans wrote: View Post
Personally, "Spock, Son of Sarek" was always good enough for me...
Works well enough for me. Some cultures, I believe, don't even have family names, correct? So, it's entirely possible that "Spock" is his only name, everything else could just be a Terran interpretation of the Vulcan language.
Ideally, all Sikhs are named Singh and Kaur. Surakism seems at least as radical a break with the Vulcan past.

I still like the idea that they have secret, complicated surnames, however.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 06:14 PM   #41
Christopher
Writer

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Firebird wrote: View Post
Ideally, all Sikhs are named Singh and Kaur. Surakism seems at least as radical a break with the Vulcan past.
Singh and Kaur are supposed to be the universal male and female surnames for Sikhs, not their only names. Sikhs always have first names, even when they don't use the Singh or Kaur surnames.

In a large society, especially a planetwide one with six billion individuals to distinguish, it would just be irrational to require everyone to go by only a single name, especially when most such names are only five letters long and begin with S and/or end in K. There's no possible way to get six billion distinct names out of that. Having family names is only logical -- especially given the evident importance Vulcans ascribe to their family ties.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 03:13 AM   #42
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I meant surnames. Sorry to be vague--I figured everyone knew I didn't mean given names.

And if everyone has the same surname, it's effectively the equivalent of no one having a surname...

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 01:25 PM   #43
Christopher
Writer

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I meant surnames. Sorry to be vague--I figured everyone knew I didn't mean given names.

And if everyone has the same surname, it's effectively the equivalent of no one having a surname...
Not necessarily. Sikhs aren't limited to only two names; they can have a third. And there are cultures that have no surnames in the Western sense but have long strings of given names, patronymics, and so forth. For instance, the man that Westerners called "Saddam Hussein" was actually Saddam Hussein 'abd al-Majid al-Tikriti. "Hussein" wasn't his surname, since he had none; it was just his second given name. By Arabic naming convention, he was properly referred to simply as "Saddam" (his ism or given name), but the rest of his name served to distinguish him from other Saddams. Hussein was his father's name, 'abd al Majid means "servant of the Glorious One" (one of the 99 names of God; most Muslim names have some form of "servant of God" in them), and al-Tikriti means "of Tikrit," his place of birth.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 03:02 PM   #44
The Laughing Vulcan
Admiral

Actually, all Sikhs have three names, just that not every Sikh uses the surname. Every Sikh male's second name is Singh, and Kaur for the women. The given name comes from the Guru Granth. A prayer is said, and the book allowed to fall open. The syllable to which the priest points will be the first syllable of the name. The third name, surname is the family name, but is actually a holdover from the caste system, indicating which caste you belong to, and subcaste.

I find the Icelandic (Scandinavian?) tradition appealing, where surnames are either father's son, or mother's daughter.

Anime @ MyReviewer
The Laughing Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3 2009, 09:01 PM   #45
captcalhoun
Admiral

i like Sir Terry Pratchett's spoof of that: Glod Glodssonssonssonsson
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote