Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old June 1 2009, 05:20 PM   #1
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Important/Popular Comic Stories Not in TPB

I was looking through the DC Comics wiki when I came across the entry for the Superman storyline "Fall of Metropolis". I read through the summary and, while I remember it when it came out, I never read story myself. Anyway, I was curious enough about it to see if I could get a trade for that storyline. Surprisingly, I couldn't find one, indicating that it was never "traded up."

This came as a surprise considering all the stuff that goes down in it, including the complete fall of Lex.

This got me thinking. What other storylines out there that have proven to be popular or important to the character that have never been collected together and you wish to see?
Old June 1 2009, 07:11 PM   #2
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Important/Popular Comic Stories Not in TPB

I might be wrong on this but I tried to find on Amazon the "Brainiac Y2K Virus Turns Metropolis Into A Sci-Fi City" story and couldn't find it. There's also that entire circa 2000 Superman run by Ed McGuinness I would love to get but it's out of print and they cost like $40 each.

Mr Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 08:54 PM   #3
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Not quite the same as never having been in trade, but Spider-Man: The Death of Jean DeWolff has been out of print for years. One of the most significant Spidey stories of the 1980s, and Peter David's first big splash in the comics world.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 09:19 PM   #4
Mr Light
Admiral

That's the Sin Eater storyline, right? I think I have that trade somewhere at home...

Old June 1 2009, 09:24 PM   #5
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
I might be wrong on this but I tried to find on Amazon the "Brainiac Y2K Virus Turns Metropolis Into A Sci-Fi City" story and couldn't find it. There's also that entire circa 2000 Superman run by Ed McGuinness I would love to get but it's out of print and they cost like $40 each.
It's called Superman: Endgame, you can find it here.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Miracleman. Most of Keith Giffen's Justice League run. Iirc his Legion run is also not collected, but I was never a big LoSH guy, so I haven't looked in a while.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 10:43 PM   #7
Mr Light
Admiral

Ah I was looking for a wrong title. Thanks. Still, $20-40 bucks, grumble!

Old June 1 2009, 11:47 PM   #8
shivkala
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Miracleman. Most of Keith Giffen's Justice League run. Iirc his Legion run is also not collected, but I was never a big LoSH guy, so I haven't looked in a while.
Are the legal battles over Miracleman settled now, where they could release TPBs?

As far as Justice League, the Giffen era is being collected in TPB, volume 4 came out in March in hardcover. So the issues through #30 have been collected.

I think only The Great Darkness Saga has been collected for Legion, but I am a fan of the "5 Years Later Legion" from the late 80's and early 90's and would love to see those collected. However, seeing as how DC is trying (again) to settle on one version of the Legion and Geoff Johns brought back the late 70's early 80's Legion, from a point before the 5YL Legion, I doubt DC would be willing to put out a TPB. It's a shame because they really were good stories and a unique take on the super-hero comic format.
"When I reach for the edge of the universe, I do it knowing that along some paths of cosmic discovery, there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
shivkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1 2009, 11:52 PM   #9
miraclefan
Commodore

shivkala wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Are the legal battles over Miracleman settled now, where they could release TPBs?
Sort a, [COLOR=#aabbcc]http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=21344[/COLOR] you have to scroll down till you see MARVELMAN/MIRACLEMAN. From what I understand Alan Moore can REMAKE his original work (sense he does OWN the work to the first 16 issues) but there will be new artist's working on this series so they can bypas all the ''rights'' issues with the original artists.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 12:47 AM   #10
DarKush
Rear Admiral

Spider-Man's Maximum Clonage? Perhaps not popular but important.

Batman's Knightfall: The Quest. I thought I saw it listed once, but I've never seen anything to confirm that. I would love to have all of that saga in TPB.
DarKush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 02:58 AM   #11
Mr Light
Admiral

That would be the Bruce Wayne in England part of the story, right? I'm reading the novelization right now and that story is extremely lame.

Old June 2 2009, 03:07 AM   #12
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Mr Light wrote: View Post
That would be the Bruce Wayne in England part of the story, right? I'm reading the novelization right now and that story is extremely lame.
Actually its that and what Valley was doing between defeating Bane and Bruce coming back.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 04:26 AM   #13
Mr Light
Admiral

I thought the Azrael part of the story was "Knightquest: The Crusade" and the Bruce part was "Knightquest: The Search"?

Old June 2 2009, 07:05 AM   #14
Hermiod
Admiral

Secret Wars II ?
Hermiod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2 2009, 01:13 PM   #15
Gojirob
Rear Admiral

JLA : Incarnations. Superman/Batman : Generations 3. The Marvel storyline that storied up the years between the 1950's and the present, I think with a relative of T'Challa's as a member. The odds and ends pieces made to clean up the mess of The Clone Saga, like 101 Ways To End It, The Osborn History, and the Jackal's true connections to the High Evolutionary. Has the Midnight Sons ever been attempted in a collection?