Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 82 79.61%
Above Average 15 14.56%
Average 3 2.91%
Below Average 2 1.94%
Poor 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 20 2009, 10:00 PM   #211
Mr Light
Admiral

Re: Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

Hmm, come to think of it, Cerebus' first chronological appearance is in 1988 with Rousseau.

Old May 21 2009, 01:51 AM   #212
Mallet
Fleet Captain

But if we assume that the sonic fence was built to keep Smokey out, then it has been around since Dharma got there (and built the fence). Also Richard said to Horace when he walked into the compound (earlier this season) that the fence may keep "other things out" but not him. I am sure he was implying the Smoke Monster when he said that.

So I think the smoke monster has been roaming the island for a long time and well before the incident.

And, not that it's been said or anything, but I think it is important to remember that "The Incident" isn't the end all major event that it sometimes feels like it is being made out to be. Life at Dharma does go back to normal afterwords. We've seen life on the Island and with Dharma years after the incident. Ben is a workman, and so is his dad, they still deliver beer and supplies to all the stations, etc... and there seems to be some sort of truce with the Hostiles for a while, at least until the purge. So whatever the fallout of the Incident and the events leading up to it, and with Ben being shot and all the other crazyness going on this season life does go back to "normal" for Dharma for at least a few years (Ben has to age a lot over that time) before the purge happens, the Swan has to be built (and a few other stations), etc... SO the Island can't go completely to hell after the nuke goes off... unless the future can be changed... In which case anything can happen.

Last edited by Mallet; May 21 2009 at 02:04 AM.
Old May 21 2009, 01:58 AM   #213
Gertch
Admiral

Yeah I would think "other things" would be Lostzilla and people that don't know about the tunnels.
Old May 22 2009, 06:41 AM   #214
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

Why does everyone assume that everytime Jacob appears in the past lives of the losties, that is actually is Jacob? All, half, or none (admittedly) of those could have been Esau masquerading as Jacob. What if Jacob, for example, saved Locke but Esau killed Sayid's wife?
Old May 22 2009, 01:05 PM   #215
Botany Bay
Commodore

Excellent episode - one of the very best.

Superb season - even though I have reached the point of complete, utter confusion that every Lost fan hits eventually

I am really going to miss this show. I think it will be remembered as one of the greatest TV shows ever (unless they stuff up the ending!)
Old May 22 2009, 03:47 PM   #216
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

apostle83 wrote: View Post
Why does everyone assume that everytime Jacob appears in the past lives of the losties, that is actually is Jacob? All, half, or none (admittedly) of those could have been Esau masquerading as Jacob. What if Jacob, for example, saved Locke but Esau killed Sayid's wife?
Ok, this is LOST, so anything goes and you might be correct. But in the "normal" way of looking at things, what purpose would it serve for "Esau" to disguise himself as Jacob when appearing to a young Kate, or Sayid?

EDIT TO ADD: Granted they mess with our minds a lot, but sometimes I think we just need to accept some things at face value. Sometime a cigar is just a cigar.
Old May 22 2009, 04:50 PM   #217
Joe Washington
Fleet Captain

Apostle83: Why would Esau appear as Jacob to Jack, Kate, Sayid, Sawyer, Hurley, or Locke if none of them had met him on the island?

No, I think it's Jacob himself. And I think Esau has been manipulating Ben all this time to be Jacob's killer since the moment he appeared to him as his mother. He put things into play and use other moments to his advantage to make Ben so bitter towards Jacob that he would be willing to kill Jacob when they finally meet. Jacob might have sense that Ben was a part of Esau's plan and that's why he didn't bother to meet him. When Jacob said "What about you?" to Ben, he meant that he saw Ben as nothing more than a pawn in a chess-game between him and Esau.
Old May 22 2009, 05:56 PM   #218
LitmusDragon
Commodore

The only thing we know for sure that Esau can do is take on the forms of the dead. My hunch is that all of the time travel stuff and all of the off-island stuff were things only Jacob can do. At the beginning of the episode Esau chides Jacob for bringing people to the island when it always ends badly. This sets Esau up as a xenophobic/isolationist force on the island, and Jacob as a force that brings people to the island. We then see this play out over the course of the episode; Jacob time travels to important points in the Lostaways life, to make sure that they come to the island. Why? "it only has to end once" He's trying to accomplish something by bringing these people here.
Old May 22 2009, 10:09 PM   #219
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
The only thing we know for sure that Esau can do is take on the forms of the dead.
Then who was it who took the form of an older Walt and appeared to Locke in "Man Behind the Curtain?"

I don't think Esau would take the form of Jacob and appear to the Oceanic muppet babies. For one thing it would serve no purpose. They never met Jacob before, so why imitate him? He may as well have appeared as the guy from the beginning of the season finale, or indeed anyone else. The effect would have been the same.
Old May 22 2009, 11:50 PM   #220
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

I think that was just Walt. I know it doesn't really make sense, but they've said since the second season that Walt has the ability to appear places he shouldn't.
Old May 27 2009, 08:01 PM   #221
apostle83
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to apostle83 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to apostle83 Send a message via Yahoo to apostle83

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
I think that was just Walt. I know it doesn't really make sense, but they've said since the second season that Walt has the ability to appear places he shouldn't.
Hmmm. Do you have anything specific upon which to base this, young Padawan?
Old May 27 2009, 08:10 PM   #222
Mallet
Fleet Captain

I believe it was Ms. Clue who was asking Michael after they captured him. She said "Walt was very special" and she was wondering if Michael had ever noticed anything strange about him. Like had he ever appeared in two places at once or appeared somewhere he shouldn't be, etc... She made it seem like it was something Walt should be able to do, and she just wanted to know if Michael had ever witnessed it.
Old May 27 2009, 11:27 PM   #223
Gertch
Admiral

Mallet wrote: View Post
I believe it was Ms. Clue who was asking Michael after they captured him. She said "Walt was very special" and she was wondering if Michael had ever noticed anything strange about him. Like had he ever appeared in two places at once or appeared somewhere he shouldn't be, etc... She made it seem like it was something Walt should be able to do, and she just wanted to know if Michael had ever witnessed it.
Maybe she saw the Adversary in the form of someone else before that was still alive and just thought it was a special ability of that person.
Old May 27 2009, 11:28 PM   #224
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, Miss Clue. I mean he has the power to call birds, no reason he can't have other powers.
Old May 29 2009, 04:31 AM   #225
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Mallet wrote: View Post
Which we actually saw happen in Michael's flashback where he got hit by the car.