RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 442
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 24 2009, 02:39 AM   #76
Quest_techie
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Re: Your definition of a real 'Trekkie'?

Someone who cares about trek as a whole, but doesn't just accept something as trek because they are told it is

just because paramount tells me that ST-XI is canon, does not mean I will accept it as canon.

same for enterprise.
Quest_techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 03:04 AM   #77
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

Quest_techie wrote: View Post
Someone who cares about trek as a whole, but doesn't just accept something as trek because they are told it is

just because paramount tells me that ST-XI is canon, does not mean I will accept it as canon.

same for enterprise.
So. A trekkie is Comic Book Guy. Gotcha.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24 2009, 03:34 AM   #78
M
Vice Admiral

Quest_techie wrote: View Post
I'm not sure if you understand what canon means.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 10:19 PM   #79
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile

A Trekkie is somebody who never gets any.

Oh come guys, one of us had to say it!
RandyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 10:40 PM   #80
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

I think it's counter-productive to drive a wedge between "true Trekkies" and other people. So what if jocks and cheerleaders, uninformed co-workers, and your clueless sister-in-law think they like STAR TREK now? Cool. It was never meant to be an exclusive club.

None of us enjoyed being persecuted in high school, but claiming our persecution as a badge of honor, to the extent that we resent outsiders for sharing our interests isn't helping any. We need to reach out to the whole wide world, not drive them away by claiming they're not Trekkie enough . . . .

Nobody "deserves" to like STAR TREK more than anyone else.

And, on a slight differently issue, claiming that anyone who doesn't agree with you regarding the new movie isn't a real Trekkie is just silly. I mean, there are Trekkies out there who like THE FINAL FRONTIER. That boggles my mind, but I would never question their fannish credentials. There is no official "party line" where STAR TREK is concerned.
Old May 27 2009, 01:20 AM   #81
Strider
Fleet Captain

Tentacle wrote: View Post
Well if trek became trendy on its own merits, then I would be alot more accepting of the new people. But this new trek is a dumbed down version, for me to be associated with the people that love the dumb trek, is like me going along with what is cool and conforming to what's trendy.

But if you average "jock" or your prom queen wants to come aboard, I'm all for it, but I reserve the right too look down my noses at them. Until they prove to me that they have the capacity to change and grow.
it's just a tv show you really need to get a life
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 07:53 AM   #82
TrekNut87
Captain

View TrekNut87's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to TrekNut87

Greg Cox wrote: View Post
I think it's counter-productive to drive a wedge between "true Trekkies" and other people. So what if jocks and cheerleaders, uninformed co-workers, and your clueless sister-in-law think they like STAR TREK now? Cool. It was never meant to be an exclusive club.

None of us enjoyed being persecuted in high school, but claiming our persecution as a badge of honor, to the extent that we resent outsiders for sharing our interests isn't helping any. We need to reach out to the whole wide world, not drive them away by claiming they're not Trekkie enough . . . .

And, on a slight differently issue, claiming that anyone who doesn't agree with you regarding the new movie isn't a real Trekkie is just silly. I mean, there are Trekkies out there who like THE FINAL FRONTIER. That boggles my mind, but I would never question their fannish credentials. There is no official "party line" where STAR TREK is concerned.
I agree with all of this. To me, it makes no difference whatsoever. Whether you want to call yourself a Trekkie/Trekker or refuse to have any label attatched to your interest in the franchise, it doesn't matter one bit. We're ALL Star Trek fans in the end, regardless of the degree.
TrekNut87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 08:35 AM   #83
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

TrekNut87 wrote: View Post

I agree with all of this. To me, it makes no difference whatsoever. Whether you want to call yourself a Trekkie/Trekker or refuse to have any label attatched to your interest in the franchise, it doesn't matter one bit. We're ALL Star Trek fans in the end, regardless of the degree.

I LUB YOU ALL!!!!

::

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27 2009, 03:28 PM   #84
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

Strider wrote: View Post
it's just a tv show you really need to get a life
Leave the personal comments out of the thread, please. It's just an internet bulletin board...
Old May 27 2009, 04:26 PM   #85
AdmiralSteven
Lieutenant Commander

I know I'm coming into this discussion kind of late, and I haven't read the entire thread, so I'm probably just regurjitating what's already been said, but I believe a trekkie is someone who likes Star Trek. I like Star Trek, alot actually, but I couldn't tell you what the episode names are or sit down and tell you details about canon, but I consider myseslf a trekkie.
Old May 27 2009, 04:47 PM   #86
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

I could keep track of episode titles, etc. just fine when there were just 79 - but with the advent of TNG, DS9, VOY and ENT, there's no way I can do that now. I'm content just to enjoy the shows, movies and occasional book. I'm a Trekkie.
Old May 27 2009, 09:32 PM   #87
Trekarama
Lieutenant

TrekNut87 wrote: View Post

Amen to that!
Old June 26 2009, 11:23 PM   #88
CailinBlair
Ensign

Well, being that I'm new to the fandom...It's good to get new fans...but at the same time, when you just like something because it's popular at that moment, that's annoying to the original fans. The movie is nothing like the Original series, and I don't think a lot of people who just saw the movie and nothing else understand that.
CailinBlair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28 2009, 08:25 AM   #89
I am not Spock
Commodore

There's a difference between 'fan' and 'Trekkie'. I casually watch, say, Medium, and Law And Order, but that's where it begins and ends. I don't go on their message boards, buy the DVDs or anything. I don't know the episode names or the writer's names.
Old June 28 2009, 08:30 AM   #90
Herkimer Jitty
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Herkimer Jitty

A Trekkie is someone who likes Star Trek.

A Trekker is someone who likes Star Trek, but wears cool sunglasses, turtlenecks and berets and insists on not being called a Trekkie.

Fan is a general term, wheras something like Ringer or Browncoat or Trekkie is more specific.