Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Old May 21 2009, 05:12 PM   #31
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles
Re: Star Trek V: The Final Frontier enhanced effects reel

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Of course, that shot zooming in on Spocko through the window just further illustrates that the ports as seen from inside the room utterly don't match the ones on the model!
True. I think it was just a redress of the TNG Ten-Forward set.
It was a new set. Ten-Forward hadn't even been built at that point.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 05:44 PM   #32
Grant
Fleet Captain

Ten-forward HAD been built at that point.

It was built in the hiatus between season one & two in early summer '88.

It existed during the late fall shoot of Trek 5
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:14 AM   #33
trevanian
Rear Admiral

cardinal biggles wrote: View Post
DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Of course, that shot zooming in on Spocko through the window just further illustrates that the ports as seen from inside the room utterly don't match the ones on the model!
I think ten-forward was the last thing Zimmerman did for TNG before going on to TFF, and no, the sets are nothing alike (the TFF one is pretty good, the TNG set is boring as hell.)
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:26 AM   #34
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

Whether it had been built or not, trev is right — the two sets look nothing alike.
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:46 AM   #35
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

trevanian wrote: View Post

I think ten-forward was the last thing Zimmerman did for TNG before going on to TFF, and no, the sets are nothing alike (the TFF one is pretty good, the TNG set is boring as hell.)
I don't think there was much to it...the big windows, the Captain's Wheel...and the thing that popped up through the floor. Otherwise it was darkly lit, so who really knows what the set looked like?

I didn't think it was a bad set...but then I think Ten-Forward was an ok set too.
QuasarVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:49 AM   #36
trevanian
Rear Admiral

QuasarVM wrote: View Post
I don't think there was much to it...the big windows, the Captain's Wheel...and the thing that popped up through the floor. Otherwise it was darkly lit, so who really knows what the set looked like?
The ability to use the set AS the set plus as those limbo environments for Spock and McCoy without resorting to opticals is pretty tremendous to me. And I really like the RP starfield stuff ... I think if they had tried to go bluescreen the whole thing would have looked worse, not better, and it would have crippled the moving camera stuff that IS in there.
trevanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 01:11 AM   #37
Data Holmes
Admiral

The ability to use the set AS the set plus as those limbo environments for Spock and McCoy without resorting to opticals is pretty tremendous to me. And I really like the RP starfield stuff ... I think if they had tried to go bluescreen the whole thing would have looked worse, not better, and it would have crippled the moving camera stuff that IS in there.
Indeed.
Old May 22 2009, 04:01 AM   #38
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

Strangely, I DID think that worked well...probably the ONLY thing I liked about the visuals in that film.
Old May 22 2009, 04:47 AM   #39
GalaxyX
Rear Admiral

There's no way STV can compete unless the FX were massively overhauled, even more than was done on TMP. TMP only needed touch ups compared to the work needed on STV to get it up and running with today's films.
Old May 22 2009, 04:59 AM   #40
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Strangely, I DID think that worked well...probably the ONLY thing I liked about the visuals in that film.
whoops. for whatever reason i thought the windows looked like the TNG set. oh well!
Old May 22 2009, 07:55 AM   #41
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

GalaxyX wrote: View Post
There's no way STV can compete unless the FX were massively overhauled, even more than was done on TMP. TMP only needed touch ups compared to the work needed on STV to get it up and running with today's films.
I disagree. The only thing that would take some time and money would be the ending, and even that is still achievable without an enormous budget.

Yes, TFF needs more work than TMP needed, but its still possible to let Shatner do his cut of the film for a reasonable price.
Old May 22 2009, 08:29 AM   #42
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

^ I agree. I love this movie. I'm watching it right now and I can see where the effects reel would improve some of the overall quality, but they really do need to let the Shat get a refit. It's only right considering the hell they went through trying to get the movie made.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 11:40 AM   #43
FalTorPan
Vice Admiral

I don't see how upgrading the movie's effects would be profitable.
Old May 22 2009, 06:38 PM   #44
QuasarVM
Fleet Captain

FalTorPan wrote: View Post
I don't see how upgrading the movie's effects would be profitable.
Well, probably about as profitable as the ST:TMP Director's Cut or the Superman II: Richard Donner Version DVDs...or the Legend Director's Cut that was released a few years ago...

Anyway, I don't think Paramount has anything to lose...why not do it?
Old May 24 2009, 03:01 AM   #45
Maurice
Vice Admiral

View Maurice's Twitter Profile

Without knowing how the DVD sales for TFF compare to the other films it's really not safe to say Paramount has nothing to lose. That's mere speculation.
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote