Pegg Star Wars Rumor
By: T'Bonz on Jul 30

Borg Cube Fridge
By: T'Bonz on Jul 29

Free Enterprise Kickstarter

Siddig To Join Game Of Thrones

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old May 20 2009, 08:56 PM   #1
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Batman/Superman Enemies and Allies Kevin J. Anderson

I saw this in Chapters this morning after coming out of my doctor's appointment and flipped through it and it looks interesting. This takes place during the mid 1950's and focuses on Batman and Superman's first meeting as they track down a plot involving Lex Luthor. I read through the first two or three pages and I'm actually intrigued enough that I requested it at my local library so hopefully it will be good. It has a New Frontier vibe since it takes place during the 50's. I hope that it's better than the garbage and disapointment that was Last Days of Krypton that came out two years ago. On the acknowledgments page Anderson credits Jeph Loeb, Tim Sale, and Frank Miller for influencing the book. I'm assuming that he's referenced Superman: For All Seasons, The Long Halloween and Dark Victory along with The Dark Knight Returns since those are those creators most famous works with these characters. Has anyone checked it out yet? It was just released so maybe not...I'd be interested to read a review.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 01:10 AM   #2
RandyS
Vice Admiral

View RandyS's Twitter Profile
Re: Batman/Superman Enemies and Allies Kevin J. Anderson

I was planning on reading Last Days of Krypton after the series I'm reading now. What's so bad about it?
RandyS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 03:10 AM   #3
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

I didn't realize that book was out yet. I am totally going to pick it up this summer.

As someone who loved LDoK, I was eagerly awaiting this.

Edit: I just went to check Amazon (US), and it only has a listing for it as a Kindle download. Is/Will there be a hard copy in the US?
Old May 21 2009, 05:16 AM   #4
blockaderunner
Rear Admiral

I've never been to keen on the idea of the novelization of superheroes. It's not that they're crap, but superheroes have always worked, at least to me, best in the visual medium of comics. When Superman's cape flutters in the breeze, you don't want to read two or three sentences describing it. You want to see a top notch artist illustrate it.

My point is that I have enough chapter books on my plate. Get someone like Ethan Van Sciver to add pictures to Kevin J. Anderson's words, and then I'll be interested.
If God is willing but not able to prevent evil, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing, then he is malevolent. If he is willing and able, then whence come evil? If he is neither willing nor able, then why call him God?
blockaderunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 04:46 PM   #5
Mistral
Vice Admiral

blockaderunner wrote: View Post
I've never been to keen on the idea of the novelization of superheroes. It's not that they're crap, but superheroes have always worked, at least to me, best in the visual medium of comics. When Superman's cape flutters in the breeze, you don't want to read two or three sentences describing it. You want to see a top notch artist illustrate it.

My point is that I have enough chapter books on my plate. Get someone like Ethan Van Sciver to add pictures to Kevin J. Anderson's words, and then I'll be interested.
I've never been too keen on Kevin J. Anderson(you use your middle initial? How pretentious!). I met him, I've read some of his stuff and the guy is a hack who's all about the money and nothing else. I watched him blow off a fan at a fan appreciation event sponsored by SFWA so he could discuss a paid appearance at some convention with one of the convention organizers. The poor kid just wanted an autograph but ole Kev couldn't be bothered-he was negotiating hotel allowances. I have no interest in this Batman thing-KJA never showed an ounce of originality in anything else he wrote that I read and I would not expect a sudden revelation now.

Mistral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 08:52 PM   #6
RandyS
Vice Admiral

I've never been to keen on the idea of the novelization of superheroes.
I don't know, I though that Roger Stern's 1993 novel adaption of the death of Superman was better than the comic version.

And the audio book version.

AND the 2007 animated movie version.

In short, I liked the novel better than any other adaption of that particular story.

Of course, that's just one example.
Old May 21 2009, 09:06 PM   #7
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

^ The Knightfall adaptation wasn't bad either.
Old May 21 2009, 09:28 PM   #8
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
Though they needed to have a different actor from Batman - he sounded pretty much the same as Batman as he did for Bruce Wayne.

I have both Knightfall and Death and Life of Superman in the novels and guess I'm sacreligious because I prefer them in the novel that I buy in one hit. Novels can allow the story to be fleshed out more and for me anyway, are easier to read because of the large font size.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 21 2009, 11:05 PM   #9
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

That is a fair point...I guess it just depends on the story.
Old May 21 2009, 11:57 PM   #10
Maestro
Vice Admiral

I saw it at Borders last night, but passed on it as I already had two books to purchase.
Old May 22 2009, 12:09 AM   #11
Smiley
Rear Admiral

I did enjoy The Last Days of Krypton, but I just don't feel a need to pick up Enemies and Allies. The first meeting of Superman and Batman in John Byrne's Man of Steel comic series was well done, and I'm not nostalgic for 1950's sci-fi.
Smiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:54 AM   #12
Snaploud
Admiral

I really enjoyed this Batman novelization. I also enjoyed Batman No Man's Land.
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:56 AM   #13
Snaploud
Admiral

Broccoli wrote: View Post
I didn't realize that book was out yet. I am totally going to pick it up this summer.

As someone who loved LDoK, I was eagerly awaiting this.

Edit: I just went to check Amazon (US), and it only has a listing for it as a Kindle download. Is/Will there be a hard copy in the US?
http://www.amazon.com/Enemies-Allies...2950127&sr=8-7
Snaploud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 12:59 AM   #14
RandyS
Vice Admiral

Snaploud wrote: View Post
I really enjoyed this Batman novelization. I also enjoyed Batman No Man's Land.
Yeah, No Man's Land was a good read. I'm still sorry they didn't novelize the first half of the story with Cataclysm though.
Old May 22 2009, 03:49 AM   #15
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

That's always the challenge, but you can try to compensate by emphasizing the other senses, the ones that comic books can't convey. What does it feel like to flame on? Can Superman feel that breeze against his face? What does Darkseid's voice sound like? What does Gotham City smell like? Does heat-vision burn when it hits you?

Prose also gives you the opportunity to try to get into the characters' heads more. In theory, at least.