Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old May 19 2009, 07:37 PM   #136
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701
Re: Fitness Checkin

Just got back from another hour run. My legs were dead today, though I did get in a pretty good distance (which, for being dead, means that i got in just about my normal distance ).

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 07:44 PM   #137
RoJoHen
Awesome

jamestyler wrote: View Post
RoJoHen wrote: View Post
TJinLOCA wrote: View Post

Gee, I was just saying that the other day.
Well, most of the weight I lost was muscle mass.
I hate that... especially when it just doesn't 'feel' like you staring back at you in the mirror. I don't know about you, but it really depresses the crap out of me.
It depresses me the most when I think of how hard I worked to put that muscle on in the first place.

But between my work schedule and my gym's crappy hours, I wasn't able to workout as much as I wanted, and I was too busy to eat as often as I needed to. Sucked.

But I'm finally getting back on track!
Old May 19 2009, 08:29 PM   #138
Jackson_Roykirk
Commodore

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Went for an hour long run today. Ran almost the entire way, which is only the first or second time I've been able to do that since starting back up. My right hip and foot and left knee were killing me though.
I used to run 10-K races relatively regularly -- but as Nero would say "that was another life" (about 25 years ago).

I look like I'm in decent shape now (at least with my clothes on), but I know I'm not...if I tried to run even one mile, I'd be calling 911. However, my brain and my mid-life crisis are calling me to get back into racing shape and get back to running regularly.

My brain knows I should get back into shape because it's good for my heart, and my mid-life crises wants me to get back into shape so I look good again with my shirt off.

My goal is to be able to compete in 5-K races this year, and 10-K races next year.

...With shoes that cut, and eyes that burn like cigarettes
With fingernails that shine like justice and a voice that is dark like tinted glass...
Jackson_Roykirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 11:35 PM   #139
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Jackson_Roykirk wrote: View Post
archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Went for an hour long run today. Ran almost the entire way, which is only the first or second time I've been able to do that since starting back up. My right hip and foot and left knee were killing me though.
I used to run 10-K races relatively regularly -- but as Nero would say "that was another life" (about 25 years ago).

I look like I'm in decent shape now (at least with my clothes on), but I know I'm not...if I tried to run even one mile, I'd be calling 911. However, my brain and my mid-life crisis are calling me to get back into racing shape and get back to running regularly.

My brain knows I should get back into shape because it's good for my heart, and my mid-life crises wants me to get back into shape so I look good again with my shirt off.

My goal is to be able to compete in 5-K races this year, and 10-K races next year.
I can understand that. Back when I was in HS running track and cross country, I was able to do 5ks and 10ks at a decent pace. Nothing impressive, but I would be able to hold my own against casual runners. However, in recent years my focus has been more on being able to go forever and my speed work has been non-existant, so I honestly don't even try 5ks and 10ks anymore.

Good luck with getting back into it and I hope it treats you well!

Old May 20 2009, 01:08 AM   #140
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

I feel as if I peaked last year when I ran a half-marathon. Since then I've developed arthritis in my hip & have had various injuries that have kept me from doing any serious distances. I'm happy now to run 5K (which is my normal weekday jog) at a speed that's only slightly faster than a walk. But hey, I'm moving. It's all part of getting old!
Old May 20 2009, 10:00 PM   #141
RoJoHen
Awesome

What's this? I had another day off with gorgeous weather? I hope this is the start of a trend. Too bad I don't have another day off for 7 days.

Anyway, I biked again today for about 45 minutes. I think next time I am going to reverse my route so that I START biking into in the wind. Then when I turn around, the return journey will make me feel less like I want to die.

I can't believe how out of shape my legs are.
Old May 21 2009, 05:56 PM   #142
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
I think next time I am going to reverse my route so that I START biking into in the wind. Then when I turn around, the return journey will make me feel less like I want to die.
That sounds like a good plan! I like to arrange my runs so that I finish with the downhill part, as well ... it's much more motivating.

I ran my usual 3.25 mile route yesterday. Today it's weights at the gym.
Old May 26 2009, 06:48 PM   #143
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

Day 4 of nasty cold. Eeehhhhhggg. No exercise for me.
Old May 26 2009, 06:56 PM   #144
Angry Angel
Vice Admiral

^I hate that! It screwed up my last effort to start running again.
Beyond a critical point in a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -Pardot Kynes
Angry Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26 2009, 09:17 PM   #145
RoJoHen
Awesome

I have today and tomorrow off (after working 6 days in a row), and of course, it's raining! Booooooo!
Old May 29 2009, 10:25 AM   #146
RoJoHen
Awesome

I had a couple drinks tonight, which prevented me from going to the gym. It's probably a good thing. I had some really good workouts the last 3 days, and it's probably best that I take tonight off and rest.
Old May 29 2009, 12:51 PM   #147
RAMA
Vice Admiral

My elbow is hurting again. I guess I must drag myself to the doc after all...
Old May 29 2009, 04:15 PM   #148
TJinLOCA
Rear Admiral

I'm on my third day of antibiotics for the respiratory & ear infection I picked up. Still sniffly.

I can't wait to be recovered and get back to exercising.
Old May 30 2009, 09:25 PM   #149
Angry Angel
Vice Admiral

Started running again yesterday, and the weather was so brilliant that I took another lap this morning. Gonna take a day off tomorrow and continue on Monday again.
Beyond a critical point in a finite space, freedom diminishes as numbers increase. The human question is not how many can possibly survive within the system, but what kind of existence is possible for those who do survive. -Pardot Kynes
Angry Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31 2009, 08:36 PM   #150
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Yesterday, I went for my first run in nearly two weeks, and in classic, moronic archeryguy form, I decide to run a 25km race. The Pilot Hill 25k is a trail race that is an out and back course that climbs and then descends 1500ft, most of it coming in a short stretch. I ended up putting in 4 hours and 15 minutes, and was in pretty rough shape yesterday afternoon.