Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Doctor Who

Doctor Who "Bigger on the inside..."

Old May 12 2009, 12:19 AM   #16
Cyke101
Rear Admiral

Re: The Doctor Who Photoshop Thread

Babbletechy wrote: View Post
I love mucking around in Photoshop too, though still nowhere near as proficient as I'd like to be. It can be a lot of fun, but it's bloody frustrating when things don't work out how I want them to. I'm not posting from home at the moment, so haven't got access to most of my stuff but here's the bigger version of my avatar which I did for a compo on OG not so very long ago.

Huh, this image serves a dual purpose. It:

-places the Doctor among legends
-erases my least favorite Beatle
Old May 12 2009, 12:24 AM   #17
NCC-1701-B
Fleet Captain

The wrote: View Post
NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
This is trying to recreate the opening from the 7th doctor titles
My god, that's awesome!!

I understand you got a set background, and nebula. But, your spherization and the clarity of the Police Box just blows me away! How did you get the cubed-flash on top like that?
Thanks, i dont use photoshop though, i use the free Paint.NET. The "bubble" is just a nebula like image i made using cloud effects, then i twisted it, and used a plugin that makes 3d shapes out of images. The flash was just a gradient, but set on a new layer with about 75% Transparency!

Hellooo...
NCC-1701-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:38 PM   #18
Count Zero
Decidedly something

John Picard wrote: View Post

This one, to me, looks best.
I agree. In the others, Ten looks out of place because of his different texture, but not in this one.

Yeah, I saved the Victorian Tennant the last time you posted it! It's a flawless piece...
Me, too. It was even my wall paper for a time.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 11:25 PM   #19
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

NCC-1701-B wrote: View Post
This is trying to recreate the opening from the 7th doctor titles
My god, that's awesome!!
The took the words right out of my mouth! Or, uh, keyboard. Whatever.

Very nicely done!
"This boy is Ignorance. This girl is Want. Beware them both,and all of their degree, but most of all beware this boy, for on his brow I see that written which is Doom, unless the writing be erased." -Dickens.
auntiehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 05:00 PM   #20
Timby
GIVE ME YOUR FACE

You're relying far too much on the blending options to create your effects. You're using effects like Multiply or Screen to blend your elements, and it's not working -- there's a lot more to putting separate elements into a single collage than that. Like that first one with Eccleston and Hartnell -- they both seem slightly transparent, probably because of the blending effect you used.

Also, lens flare is not your friend, it has never been your friend and it never will be your friend. (I swear to God, if lens flare and Copperplate Gothic Bold were somehow erased from Photoshop forever, I'd die a happy man.)

Good starts, though.
Timby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 06:55 PM   #21
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Here is the same shot finished in four different ways. I can't quite decide what I want to do with it...
It's awesome! Is that 9 sitting on K9? I bloody love it. Its "rough and ready" darkness just contributes to it. Great job, The.

WillsBabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 02:28 AM   #22
The
Rear Admiral

View The's Twitter Profile

JKTim wrote: View Post
You're relying far too much on the blending options to create your effects. You're using effects like Multiply or Screen to blend your elements, and it's not working -- there's a lot more to putting separate elements into a single collage than that. Like that first one with Eccleston and Hartnell -- they both seem slightly transparent, probably because of the blending effect you used.

Also, lens flare is not your friend, it has never been your friend and it never will be your friend. (I swear to God, if lens flare and Copperplate Gothic Bold were somehow erased from Photoshop forever, I'd die a happy man.)

Good starts, though.
Thanks man! I really appreciate the honest feedback! Could you be more specific, though, concerning the blending problems. I agree the Eccles/Hartnell pic is rough, especially considering it was one of the first times I tried to blend two pics. Besides that one, which pic are you seeing the flaw in how I use the blending technique? If it's the multi-Doc one, I am very curious as to how I can improve said blending, concerning that particular picture.

Also, when you say lens flare, are speaking about the backlight on the multi-Doc pic, or do you mean the version of it with the swath of light across the front?

I've been trying to work on the lighting and saturation functions as tools for blending, but I am always wanting to understand superior methods. Any advice you may have is very welcome!

WillsBabe wrote: View Post
It's awesome! Is that 9 sitting on K9? I bloody love it. Its "rough and ready" darkness just contributes to it. Great job, The.
Thanks dear! And you are the first person to catch K-9's presence. The 9th Doctor using K-9 as a momentary seat is something I can completely see Eccles doing, so I had to include it, just like I made sure Five and Ten are sitting together, Eight is next to his fashion influence, One, and the 4th Doctor is situated a little apart from the group (much like real life).

Thanks again for the compliment. And considering you're always throwing out those awesome avatars of yours, I'm assuming you have some mad Photoshop skills yourself. I'd appreciate any advice you may have, as well. Also, if you have any works of your own, I'd love to see them...
The is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 06:42 AM   #23
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Here are a selection of Who avatars I've made. Looking through them all I realise I have loads. Here are a few.

The, my Photoshop skills are okay, but I'm not sure I know enough to teach anybody anything! Still, if you have an specific questions, I'll try to answer them. For myself, I just go with what seems to work!

Old May 19 2009, 08:46 AM   #24
ITElf
Vice Admiral

The:

Do you use layer masks for blending? If not, you really should. 90% of my 'shopping is layer mask work.

WillBabe:

I love your avatars - you have an individual style that works very well. Great stuff!

Old May 19 2009, 09:20 AM   #25
Andy S
Captain

These are fantastic. Each one is a mini work of art - very simple but very effective. Wish I had your imagination!

ETA: Was going to say I loved your one of Five the most, but then I think I noticed a (deliberate?) mistake on it. Still love it though.
Andy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19 2009, 04:12 PM   #26
The
Rear Admiral

ITL wrote: View Post
The:

Do you use layer masks for blending? If not, you really should. 90% of my 'shopping is layer mask work.
I use them, but very badly.

That link rocks, though! Thank you very much for it! Since I'm just teaching myself this software in my spare time, and I have zero artistic talent in any other medium, I need all the help and advice I can get. Thanks man!
Old May 19 2009, 04:12 PM   #27
The
Rear Admiral

Here are a selection of Who avatars I've made. Looking through them all I realise I have loads. Here are a few.

The, my Photoshop skills are okay, but I'm not sure I know enough to teach anybody anything! Still, if you have an specific questions, I'll try to answer them. For myself, I just go with what seems to work!

"Okay"?? Those are freakin' gorgeous, Babe! Just like Babbletechy said, each is a miniature masterpiece. Brigadier, Temp, and Fivey-5 are probably my favorites, if just because of the unconventional use of the photos. Temp is probably your most informed one as a digital artist. The composition and attention to detail of subject matter is especially apparent and appreciated. Lovely stuff!
Old May 19 2009, 07:52 PM   #28
WillsBabe
Vice Admiral

Wow! Thanks, ITL, Babbletechy and The for the lovely comments! I'm all a-blush!

Babbletechy, of course it wasn't a deliberate mistake, it was a total fubar!

I might post some more avatars later, if I get some time. You've all cheered me up a great deal with your lovely comments.

Old May 20 2009, 12:51 AM   #29
Count Zero
Decidedly something

Oh yeah, post more! I've only ever seen your Riker ones.

I guess this qualifies for this thread, even though it was (amateurishly) made with GIMP:

Last edited by Count Zero; May 20 2009 at 01:49 AM.
Count Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20 2009, 02:50 AM   #30
Andy S
Captain

I might post some more avatars later, if I get some time.
Please do!
Andy S is offline   Reply With Quote