Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 82 79.61%
Above Average 15 14.56%
Average 3 2.91%
Below Average 2 1.94%
Poor 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2009, 08:38 PM   #196
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

Gertch wrote: View Post
NumberSix wrote: View Post
For those of you who want a few insights as to what season 6 may hold... (possible spoilers regarding next season's characters who return) see below:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00024255.html

and scroll down to the "Lost Season 6 Spoilers" section for more (i.e. status of Juliet in season 6):

http://www.lostseason6.com/

Ugh, to look or not to look. This is gonna be a tough wait.
Not terribly revealing. Between the flashbacks and fake people walking the island, it doesn't really tell you much when they say you'll see such and such person again.
Old May 17 2009, 10:43 PM   #197
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
I'm starting to wonder who exactly wanted that runway built in season three? Was it Jacob or Esau? It seems to fit with Esau's plans of bringing the Oceanic 6 back on the Ajira flight. Could Esau have been posing as Jacob and tricking Richard with his own instructions?\
Whoa. I never made that connection. That is, the Others built the runway in season 3 so the Ajira could have a proper landing. I thought that whole thing was something that was completely forgotten about but in fact proves the writers have been planning this out for a long time.

I LOVE this show.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old May 17 2009, 11:14 PM   #198
Alidar Jarok
Everything in moderation but moderation

Yeah, when they landed on the Hydra island, I realized that the runway was the one that was dug. I wouldn't go so far as to say they planned that out from season 3, but I think someone realized at some point that it was a great idea to use it (solves a mini-mystery that I just assumed was going to be left as only something to bring Kate and Sawyer together).
Old May 17 2009, 11:43 PM   #199
Gertch
Admiral

Emh wrote: View Post
Whoa. I never made that connection. That is, the Others built the runway in season 3 so the Ajira could have a proper landing.
See what you get for being away from us? Yeah, Ben had the runway built so that he could have a fairly safe landing in the future.

Yeah, they probably didn't plan it that far back but they made great use of an existing story point.
Old May 18 2009, 12:04 AM   #200
Emh
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to Emh Send a message via AIM to Emh Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Emh Send a message via Yahoo to Emh

See what you get for being away from us?
So true.

Alidar Jarok wrote: View Post
YI wouldn't go so far as to say they planned that out from season 3, but I think someone realized at some point that it was a great idea to use it .
Whoa. I never made that connection. That is, the Others built the runway in season 3 so the Ajira could have a proper landing.
Yeah, they probably didn't plan it that far back but they made great use of an existing story point.
Stop bursting my bubble!

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
Old May 18 2009, 03:05 AM   #201
Gertch
Admiral

Stop bursting my bubble!
Either way it's still wonderful. Just as when Robert tried to shoot Rousseau but she had taken the pin out. That was set up in season 1. They've built in some things (some call it fluff) that they can take advantage of later on. For a show that is constantly evolving and this complex I think that's awesome!
Old May 18 2009, 03:38 PM   #202
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I'm thinking that maybe the nuke going off will just transport them back to the present, and the rest of the final season will be Losties + Others vs. Jacob's rival in the present.

I mean, I could be wrong. Maybe they did change the timeline. But that doesn't fit with how TV shows, including Lost, normally handle such things. The nuke going off is one of those classic cliffhanger mysteries that usually ends with nothing of consequence changing. I think Juliet is probably dead, and the nuke may have somehow transported them back to the present, but other than that I don't think anything will change.
It could be that but that would be a bit anti-climatic. And, on other shows, there might be the tendency to play it safe. With Lost, I'm not so sure.

I think we can be confident of a couple of the things, not all of those characters are dead. And, Jacob probably isn't dead. Jacob not being dead would be significant. And, I think would require time alteration. Maybe not, but other methods of survival might be a bit cheesey. Oh, he didn't actually bleed to death . . .

I bet we'll see an alternative history. It will have been changed yet will be recognizable. How? Jacob has manipulated events in time before to produce an outcome. He's been busy since. He brought those characters back in time for a reason!

Mr Awe
Old May 18 2009, 04:45 PM   #203
exodus
Fleet Admiral

Why aren't the Others we see in the future not also in the past?

Where's Zeke?
Old May 18 2009, 06:20 PM   #204
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Excellent episode. It's interesting to see how Jacob fits into all of this. The first time the box was opened I was looking for insulating foam material and noticed there wasn't any. The second time the box was opened it dawned on me what it would be, and my son and I had a 3-second argument over who it was.

I won

Thingol wrote: View Post
Why has nobody mentioned Sayid wearing Horace's jumpsuit? They seemed to make a big point of it?

Wasn't "Horace" the skeleton guy Hurley found in the van? Or am I misremembering that?
Crap, I didn't think of that. Locke found "Horace" in the pit with all of the Dharma bodies. He needed the map in the front breast pocket.

Last edited by John Picard; May 18 2009 at 06:31 PM.
Old May 18 2009, 06:36 PM   #205
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Yeah, when they landed on the Hydra island, I realized that the runway was the one that was dug. I wouldn't go so far as to say they planned that out from season 3, but I think someone realized at some point that it was a great idea to use it (solves a mini-mystery that I just assumed was going to be left as only something to bring Kate and Sawyer together).
Even if they hadn't planned on the Ajira landing in season five, the runway was definitely meant to be an important plot point to be set up for the future. On the DVD commentary, Damon Lindlof jokes with the cast about how they kept putting in a line about how they were building a runway, but the line kept getting cut in post-production, so they kept rewriting the line into every episode, confusing the cast who found themselves saying the same lines over and over again and reacting to the runway plan being revealed to them again and again. I think if it were that important to them to set up the runway they must have known it was going to be important down the road.
Old May 18 2009, 06:38 PM   #206
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

That being said, I'd imagine Sayid has problems, since Jacob is dead now and can't heal him.
Maybe the magnetic anomoly pulled the bullet out of his stomach.
Old May 19 2009, 04:21 AM   #207
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

NumberSix wrote: View Post
For those of you who want a few insights as to what season 6 may hold... (possible spoilers regarding next season's characters who return) see below:

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00024255.html

and scroll down to the "Lost Season 6 Spoilers" section for more (i.e. status of Juliet in season 6):

http://www.lostseason6.com/

I generally only follow producer's comments. I try to avoid everything else. Where are these spoilers coming from?
The second link details are from Lindelof and Cuse.
Old May 19 2009, 06:19 AM   #208
chrisspringob
Commodore

Mr Awe wrote: View Post
chrisspringob wrote: View Post
I'm thinking that maybe the nuke going off will just transport them back to the present, and the rest of the final season will be Losties + Others vs. Jacob's rival in the present.

I mean, I could be wrong. Maybe they did change the timeline. But that doesn't fit with how TV shows, including Lost, normally handle such things. The nuke going off is one of those classic cliffhanger mysteries that usually ends with nothing of consequence changing. I think Juliet is probably dead, and the nuke may have somehow transported them back to the present, but other than that I don't think anything will change.
It could be that but that would be a bit anti-climatic. And, on other shows, there might be the tendency to play it safe. With Lost, I'm not so sure.

I think we can be confident of a couple of the things, not all of those characters are dead. And, Jacob probably isn't dead. Jacob not being dead would be significant. And, I think would require time alteration. Maybe not, but other methods of survival might be a bit cheesey. Oh, he didn't actually bleed to death . . .

I bet we'll see an alternative history. It will have been changed yet will be recognizable. How? Jacob has manipulated events in time before to produce an outcome. He's been busy since. He brought those characters back in time for a reason!
I guess I have a different opinion with regard to what would count as anti-climactic. For me, anti-climactic would be if they used time travel to undo various events in the show. It would be like a giant reset button. I want Jacob to be dead, and stay dead. I want Locke to be dead, and stay dead. I feel like it would undermine the drama of what we've seen so far for them to undo that. For me, undoing those things is what I would consider "playing it safe". "Playing it safe" to me is when shows erase existing events to preserve the previous status quo.

Now, true, doing it that way could kind of be considered a cheat in the sense that the nuke going off wouldn't have any larger consequences....but I'm OK with that. I find that to be less of a cheat than undoing things like Jacob's death.
Old May 19 2009, 02:05 PM   #209
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

^^^ I can see that point too. Given the track record for Lost, I think they'll do that well. But, you're right, that would be a concern.

Mr Awe
Old May 20 2009, 04:36 PM   #210
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

One has to wonder if the smoke monster was released with Juliet detonating the bomb. Thinking about the temple, the crack in the base where Smokey come in and out and the French people when down thru was probably caused by the explosion. In thinking about the incident, maybe the bomb and the electromagnetism negated each other. However the impact of the incident sent seismic events thru the island.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.