Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 17 2009, 11:57 PM   #1891
Rainbow Dash
Rainbow Horse Man

Send a message via ICQ to Rainbow Dash Send a message via AIM to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Rainbow Dash Send a message via Yahoo to Rainbow Dash
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

^ Awesome!

Yeah, the second time through you'll pick up A LOT more.

J.
Spike: [writing] Correction; Rainbow Dash is very jealous.
Rainbow Dash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 02:56 AM   #1892
flcat
Fleet Captain

I think the green chick bought it on one of the ships that got blown up at Vulcan.
Old May 18 2009, 03:14 AM   #1893
Let the Good Times Roll!!

flcat wrote: View Post
I think the green chick bought it on one of the ships that got blown up at Vulcan.
That's what my wife said.

Bummer.

“There is a cult of ignorance in the United States...The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge'.” - Isaac Asimov
1001001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:16 AM   #1894
indranee
Vice Admiral

don't worry, she may have gotten away in one of the shuttles.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:23 AM   #1895
greenmystik
Captain

I like the movie a lot. They were able to rewrite the history of the original cast and not shoot the established canon(sp?) in the ass. I found it pretty inventive as it gives them more freedom with the sequel.

The only thing I had a problem with is that they stranded older Spock in the alternate universe. Not a big problem other than it messes with Trek Lit. And they destroyed Vulcan!!! Holy crap!!! I didn't think they would actually go through with it so that was a nice surprise.

Overall great movie in my opinion.

Sombreros are overrated.
greenmystik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:28 AM   #1896
Bobatiel
Commodore

greenmystik wrote: View Post
The only thing I had a problem with is that they stranded older Spock in the alternate universe.
Perhaps it's time to lay the older Spock to rest.
Bobatiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:46 AM   #1897
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Don't know what causes those SIZE tags - something about editors I think, if you're writing your post outside of the BBS then use Notepad or something like that.
Highlighting the entire text and hitting the button before posting will kill most alien formatting tags picked up along with text copied from elsewhere. Once posted, it's pretty much go through and delete them, one by one.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:49 AM   #1898
indranee
Vice Admiral

^canada violation
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 04:47 AM   #1899
Neopeius
Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post
don't worry, she may have gotten away in one of the shuttles.
Hahaha. True. Shuttles are invincible.

http://galacticjourney.org/
Neopeius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 05:10 AM   #1900
JediKnightButler
Fleet Captain

View JediKnightButler's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to JediKnightButler Send a message via AIM to JediKnightButler Send a message via Yahoo to JediKnightButler

I just saw the movie last night and am still "coming down" from it. I was totally sucked into the movie from the first second and the movie didn't lose my attention once until the end credits. Plus my wife and I saw it at the IMAX, which made it better- at moments during the film (i.e. the space battles), it felt like we were moving along with the ships, particularly during the opening battle scene with the Kelvin.
The fact that that movie was a "reboot" and totally unaffiliated with the established continuity of the original Star Trek series was kind of jarring and hard to get used to at first, particularly having Leonard Nimoy portray the older Spock in the same identical way that he portrayed Spock in TOS and TNG but after a while I got used to it and accepted it. There were tons of subtle nods and homages to TOS and all of the new actors and actresses did a great job IMHO of representing their characters, particularly Pine as Kirk, Quinto as Spock, and Urban as McCoy. They all totally nailed their roles for me.
Admittedly, there ARE a lot of things in the movie that require some pretty significant suspensions of belief, the most obvious being Kirk's metoric rise from being a Cadet to Captain (at age........?) by the end of the movie but then again, he DID save Earth and he IS James-Freaking-Kirk, so I guess that's got to count for something. How he wrested control of the Enterprise from Spock seemed a bit underhanded and scheming but Spock couldn't have been (and obviously wasn't) as stable as he needed to be in order to perform his duties as Captain "admirably" after the destruction of his homeworld and the death of his mother (played, incidentally, by a remarkably well disguised Winona Ryder). Although, such things have happened on TOS (i.e. "The Enterprise Incident") so I guess there is some precedent for such a situation.
Nero, while not a "Khan-caliber" villian was at least much improved from some of the more recent Trek villians and certainly better than the last villian, Shinzon. Nero's grievances seemed realistic and his actions in this movie at least made more sense than Shinzon's in "Nemesis".
The special effects were excellent as expected. I loved the more fluid movements of the ships when compared to TOS. The only similar comparison from the original Trek series I can think of offhand was the battle against the Borg at the beginning of "First Contact." Whenever there was a battle scene, it felt more like watching a space battle from, say, "Star Wars" rather than Star Trek (which is a GOOD thing, in my book).
Michael Giacchino composed an excellent score for the movie. During the scene where Kirk is stranded on Delta Vega, his score sounded highly reminiscent of the composers for TOS and he, of course, incorporated Alexander Courage's famous theme from TOS into the end credits weaving it together with the newer aggressive action score.
All in all, I LOVED the film and I'm very satisfied with how it turned out despite having had some initial reservations about the whole idea of a "reboot". It seems as though Abrams has successfully managed to breathe new life into the franchise and I sincerely hope the new Trek lives long and prospers!
JediKnightButler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 05:29 AM   #1901
Destructor
Commodore

butlerd wrote: View Post
The fact that that movie was a "reboot" and totally unaffiliated with the established continuity of the original Star Trek series was kind of jarring and hard to get used to at first, particularly having Leonard Nimoy portray the older Spock in the same identical way that he portrayed Spock in TOS and TNG
I don't thnik you fully understand- the universe was 'rebooted' by Nero's trip backward in time- the Spock that came back in time came from the 'original' Trek timeline. He was Spock we know and love from TNG/TOS.
Destructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 06:12 AM   #1902
Ovation
Vice Admiral

Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)

(I hate my laptop). Had a somewhat lengthy post inspired by my second viewing of the film (just got back) and I accidentally hit a key that sent me back several "pages" and wiped out my text. I'm not re-writing it again--it's late.

Short version: It's a fun movie--just as much fun the second time around. I picked up more visual nods to the original (hadn't noticed his cross-legged pose in "the chair" at the end before, for example).

A "dumb" movie? Perhaps--not every film can be Kirosawa, Bergman or Fellini. But the fact is, most movies are "dumb". If we were to nitpick every film the way Trek fans nitpick Trek movies and TV programmes (and speaking of nits to pick, why didn't Sulu and Kirk simply faint from lack of air on the platform above Vulcan?--not that I care one whit that they didn't, but it is a gripe I've yet to read or hear anywhere), an incredibly small number would survive unscathed. This movie is no more or less "dumb" than the rest of the Trek films and, really, why would I realistically expect any different?

Is it a flawless movie? Of course not. Nothing about Trek in all its incarnations is "flawless". But, and I know I'm repeating myself, it's fun. Oh, I went through a phase (late teens to late 20s) when I became rather demanding of my "entertainments". With a few exceptions borne of nostalgia (Trek being one of them), I only watched "serious" movies, only read "serious" literature and, essentially, demanded that all my entertainment also be intellectually challenging and rewarding (and being condescending to those who did not share my outlook). But along the way, I eventually discovered I wasn't having nearly as much fun as I should from my entertainment. I started to relax and be less critical of every single thing I came across. And I started having more fun.

I still appreciate "serious" films and literature, but I don't deny myself the pleasures of lighter fare. And Trek has always been "lighter fare". As such, I just sit back and enjoy the ride. (leaves me with enough energy to spend on actual "heavier fare") I know my approach isn't a universal one. But it is a fun one.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 07:04 AM   #1903
PadreHomer
Cadet

I think for various reasons people want to hate this movie, that is their right.

Anyway, I voted excellent and overall on a grading scale I would give it an A-. For me it got back to why I love Trek so much, and that is the characters. In fact, the only reason I give it an A- instead of an A+ is because I felt there should have been more of these classic character moments in the film, but the ones that were in there were excellent.

For me I can take or leave the action scenes, its not really my thing, but I understand why they were in the movie. They were done extremely well, I was on the edge of my seat most of the time. The drill platform scene especially is awesome.

As for continuity and plot holes, in my opinion any Trek fan complaining about this is highly hypocritical, as they are just about as much a Trek tradition as "redshirts" are. They did a good enough job of explaining things and in no way did it interfere with my enjoyment of the movie. In fact, the only real nitpick I would have is how its a little far-fetched that Kirk would be made a captain by the end of the movie, but again, it was not enough to ruin things for me.

In the end I immediately wanted to see more and I immediately wanted to see sequels with this cast/crew which to me is the best barometer of how well I liked a movie.
PadreHomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 08:29 AM   #1904
Minuialeth
Lieutenant Commander

I've finally voted after three viewings of the movie and I've voted "Excellent".
It's funny because if I had voted after the very first viewing, it would have been "Above average".

I went to see the movie somewhat unspoiled (save from the trailers but that's all) so I was persuaded that the movie was about the young members of the crew (Kirk, Spock, McKoy) meeting and having their first adventures. I had no idea about the alternate universe and I was awfully slow on the uptake. Uhura had to spell it for me, you know. And even knowing this, until very late in the movie, I was persuaded that there would be a reset at least for Vulcan and for Amanda so I didn't feel their loss as keenly as I should have. I had a very Vulcan emotional distance about all this. You see, Vulcan and Amanda were there in TOS so for me there WAS going to be a reset. Same for Sulu, I was sure he wasn't going to be killed on the plateform because he was part of the crew in TOS! Boy, any member of the crew could have been killed! (and isn't that interesting for the next movie?)

So when I got out of the theater, I was mulling over all this, trying to decide if I liked the idea of rebooting the series that way or not. I guess I was mourning over the original canon and time line, until I realised that they still existed somewhere and that this was about giving ST a second chance.
Then I was struck by the audacity of doing something like this knowing it was going to piss off a good deal of long-time ST fans.

Sure the movie is flawed, I still have things that annoy me after 3 viewings but then which movie isn't flawed? What counts is my overall impression: I love that movie in spite of its flaws and shortcomings because this IS Star Trek. What was there at the beginning is still there, albeit a little different.

I'm watching TOS again after 20 years (bought the remastered DVDs) and I realise how much this is the same spirit. I have these strange flashes where I picture Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto or Karl Urban in some scenes instead of the original actors. This is how spot on the cast of the movie is for me.
Some changes have been made for Kirk and Spock's characters and it's all the more obvious when you re-watch the original show but it only make things more interesting for me. I can't wait to see how they are going to interact in the next movie now that they are past their "I hate your guts" phase.

The changes in Spock are the more interesting for me because he has always been my fav character. In TOS he was ashamed of his human origins ("Naked Time") and it took him decades to accept this heritage and live with it. NuSpock* isn't ashamed of his human side and it's obvious even as a kid. There's a "I love my human mother" factor that didn't seem to be enough in TOS for Prime Spock to be more acknowledging of his human side when he was young. You can see that again with the Vulcan council "fuck off" scene.
It becomes even more interesting when Sarek's attitude, which was previously close to Prime Sarek's, changes after Vulcan's destruction and Amanda's death. I would have never dreamed to hear him say to Spock that he's glad he's got him (widly paraphrasing here, bad memory and movie dubbed in French) and that he married Amanda because he loved her (that scene is wonderful). He even encourages Spock to use his emotions! That is going to change Spock a great deal and it can already be seen in the transporter room with Uhura (it took me 3 viewings to understand and accept that scene).

What I can't understand are the nitpiks about nuSpock being too emotional. IMO if Prime Spock had lost both his planet and his mother in TOS, even being ashamed of his human emotions, he would have reacted the same way. I've not re-watched half of the first TOS season and already I've noted that Prime Spock shows more emotion than I remembered.

I've been a fan for almost 20 years and I love the new cast, I love what they've done with the characters while still loving TOS.
I can't wait for the next movie!

*You know "nu" means "naked" in French? So each time I read "nuSpock" here...
Minuialeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:26 PM   #1905
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

Destructor wrote: View Post
butlerd wrote: View Post
The fact that that movie was a "reboot" and totally unaffiliated with the established continuity of the original Star Trek series was kind of jarring and hard to get used to at first, particularly having Leonard Nimoy portray the older Spock in the same identical way that he portrayed Spock in TOS and TNG
I don't thnik you fully understand- the universe was 'rebooted' by Nero's trip backward in time- the Spock that came back in time came from the 'original' Trek timeline. He was Spock we know and love from TNG/TOS.
The best way to look at it - it's a spin off in an alternate reality. For some reason spin off doesn't sound as terrifying as reboot to some people. And it's a little more accurate