Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Meyer: Revitalizing Star Trek
By: T'Bonz on Sep 26

Trek Costumes To Be Auctioned
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Hulu Snaps up Abrams-Produced Drama
By: T'Bonz on Sep 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 18 2009, 01:38 AM   #16
Jeyl
Commodore

Re: "Thrusters on full" ~Spock

elton wrote: View Post
Jesus Christ. It's one fucking line.
Darlin, the big ones got my badge. Would you get it for me?

It had one function: To show the passing of the torch from Spock's era to the new era. It functioned fine.
Didn't Spock already pass the torch when he had that scene with NuSpock? That was the passing of the torch, not this line. And what I'm about to say I mean simply because we'll never know, but chances are good that this could be Leonard Nimoy's very last appearance as Spock in any medium. So when his character of Spock gives us his last line spoken on film (not counting the ending narration), why not make it a little more memorable? I'm not saying what they went with was a disaster, but even I know the real line should go "One quarter impulse power".
Jeyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:41 AM   #17
perigee
Lieutenant Commander

Possibility;

Initially, there was supposed to be that Shatner voice over during that entire scene - the line may have been something other than it was: "Goodbye old friend..." Well, once Shat was out, they had to dub something there, and, since the film was already cut, echoing the next line on the bridge may have seemed like someone's good idea. It wasn't, of course - but it would explain some things.
perigee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:41 AM   #18
teacock
Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Was this a weird line for anyone else? At the very end of the movie, when Kirk is promoted to Captain, we see Old Spock up in the rafters and he mutters this line.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but really? Thrusters on full? You don't have anything better? Maybe something about warp?
I agree. I saw it for the third time last night and once again I was like, meh.. couldn't they come up with something better for Spock's LAST LINE in the film? Maybe Nimoy's last line ever playing Spock?

It has bugged me each time.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:43 AM   #19
MeanJoePhaser
Admiral

I wanted him to say "Pure Energy", not tell me what's on his mind.
MeanJoePhaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:44 AM   #20
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

Jeyl wrote: View Post
Didn't Spock already pass the torch when he had that scene with NuSpock? That was the passing of the torch, not this line.
Negative.

This line was old Spock's final bowing out, his final scene at the end of the film, followed directly by a dissolve to the rest of the casts' first unified presence on the bridge, moving into their new missions together.

One was finished, another one began.
Old May 18 2009, 01:45 AM   #21
RoJoHen
Awesome

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
It functioned fine.
Which doesn't mean that I have to like it.
Exactly. As I said, I was fine with the line's intention. I knew what it was trying to accomplish, and I even like the way Nimoy delivered it.

It was just the line itself that was, I dunno, just kind of "meh."
Old May 18 2009, 02:28 AM   #22
od0_ital
Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to od0_ital

teacake wrote: View Post
agree. I saw it for the third time last night and once again I was like, meh.. couldn't they come up with something better for Spock's LAST LINE in the film? Maybe Nimoy's last line ever playing Spock?

Yeah, if this is Nimoy's last line as Spock, it'll bug me, too. Especially since, "Go to Hell." was so much better.

But, Leonard Nimoy was asked if he would be in the Trek reboot sequel, and he said that if JJ Abrams calls, he'll answer the phone.

Old May 18 2009, 02:36 AM   #23
teacock
Admiral

od0_ital wrote: View Post
teacake wrote: View Post
agree. I saw it for the third time last night and once again I was like, meh.. couldn't they come up with something better for Spock's LAST LINE in the film? Maybe Nimoy's last line ever playing Spock?

Yeah, if this is Nimoy's last line as Spock, it'll bug me, too. Especially since, "Go to Hell." was so much better.

But, Leonard Nimoy was asked if he would be in the Trek reboot sequel, and he said that if JJ Abrams calls, he'll answer the phone.

I remember worrying that George Lucas was going to drop dead of a heart attack before he finished ROTS. Now I will worry about whether Nimoy will make it to 80 so he can do STXII.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 02:42 AM   #24
Peacemaker
Vice Admiral

I think the line was supposed to be a reference to the way Kirk tended to leave spacedock...a bit faster than regulations themselves. It's a nod to Trek VI when he tells Valeris to proceed at one quarter impulse and she turns to remind him that regulations specifically state that only maneuvering thrusters are recommended for spacedock. However, how many people in the general audience would "get," a line like "all ahead at one quarter impulse," so they kept the spirit of the words but changed the words themselves to "thrusters on full."
Peacemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 02:47 AM   #25
indranee
Vice Admiral

it was a great line, I thought. especially the way he said it -- almost wistfully, as if he was missing/remembering the old days and his old friend.

throughout the movie, even with Pine's wonderfully understated Shatneresque performance, this was the moment when I most felt the presence of Shatner and the... uhh... real (sorry!!) Kirk. sent a few shivers up my spine.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 01:58 AM   #26
Triton46
Captain

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Was this a weird line for anyone else? At the very end of the movie, when Kirk is promoted to Captain, we see Old Spock up in the rafters and he mutters this line.

I mean, I get what he's saying, but really? Thrusters on full? You don't have anything better? Maybe something about warp?
The flash back I had at that scene was to the final scene of the final episode of Enterprise. Deanna and Will in the rafters watching the formation of the federation...I almost expected Spock to say, "Computer, end program."
Triton46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:08 AM   #27
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

He should have said

"Computer, End Program"

Samurai8472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 22 2009, 02:15 AM   #28
Franklin
Rear Admiral

It was a strangely worded line. Maybe, "Ahead full thrusters," or something like that. Maybe even shouting, "Ahead FULL THRUSTERS!"

Or no words at all, just an approving nod.

As far as Kirk having any kind of line like "engage," goes, he did say, "Take us home, Sulu," in the film. That's a line I can remember him using variations of more than once in TOS and the movies.
Old May 22 2009, 02:18 AM   #29
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral

Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...

I got it: Spock should have said "I'll fuck anything that moves!"
Old May 22 2009, 02:53 AM   #30
Franklin
Rear Admiral

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I got it: Spock should have said "I'll fuck anything that moves!"
Um, in this movie, I think that line would've worked better if said by the younger Spock.