Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old May 17 2009, 01:39 AM   #16
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

Re: Great Cinematography Moments

GSchnitzer wrote: View Post
I think this is my favorite shot. (At least today it is; tomorrow it might be something different.)

At the end of "Balance of Terror" as Angela Martine stands alone and crying in the ship's chapel, it's a close-up of her looking up towads the altar.

The doors then slide open to reveal Captain Kirk:

Shatner isn't seen approaching the doors or moving in anyway. He's just standing there motionless as the door opens to reveal him. (I think this shot probably reflects Shatner's old theater roots--where the curtain would open and would reveal him already onstage, rather then having him entering from the wings.)
It's nice that the woman is in focus, it seems like a lot of times TOS is going for the soft focus on the gentler sex.
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 02:23 AM   #17
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

plynch wrote: View Post
I've always like that Shore Leave sequence. The music is good then too.

If cinematography includes lighting, I will add two things that seem paradoxical. The red hue and shadows of the bridge lighting in season one; and the later splashes of pastels across the walls of sets.

Hey - how about the dolly shots from the point of view of Nomad, the Changeling?
Shore Leave is a good episode all around.

And that has nothing to do with Yeoman Barrows.
Old May 17 2009, 02:24 AM   #18
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Neopeius wrote: View Post
I could have done without the ubiquitous "Morticia Addams" light bars on Kirk's eyes...
Ha! That is great. I actually like that effect. I wonder why.
Actually, this small band of light across the eyes isn't just a Kirk/Shatner technique. We see the technique other times, too. For example, we see the same technique used on Charlie Evans/Robert Walker Jr. in "Charlie X." Actually, it's a tense scene between Kirk and Charlie--a battle of wills--and as the camera cuts back and forth between the two of them, you can see that they both have bands of light across their eyes--so that the audience will focus on the intense eyes of the two actors as they stare each other down.

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:49 AM   #19
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

SHATNER.

Let's just face it, the man oozed machismo back then. No wonder I looked up to him as a kid.

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 08:59 AM   #20
Penhall99
Lieutenant Commander

I've always liked the "light on the eyes" trick.

TOS is filled with excellent camera angles and cinematography. Nowadays everything is edited in flash-cuts and shaky-cam crap....

Last edited by Penhall99; May 17 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Penhall99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 12:23 PM   #21
Sky
Captain

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
It's nice that the woman is in focus, it seems like a lot of times TOS is going for the soft focus on the gentler sex.
Yep. I rewatched CotEoF last week and for some reason the soft focus effect on Joan Collins' face was a bit disturbing this time. Maybe it's because there are such fast changes from a closeup of Kirk or McCoy (completely in focus) to a closeup of Keeler (veeeery soft).
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 12:39 PM   #22
alchemist
Commander

Penhall99 wrote: View Post
I've always liked the "light on the eyes" trick...

This is classic film noir employing low key lighting. Film noir techniques were/are often used to convey alienation.

For more details, this article isn't too bad: http://www.videomaker.com/article/13548/

Last edited by alchemist; May 17 2009 at 01:44 PM.
alchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 09:04 PM   #23
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Neopeius wrote: View Post
I could have done without the ubiquitous "Morticia Addams" light bars on Kirk's eyes...
Actually, this small band of light across the eyes isn't just a Kirk/Shatner technique. We see the technique other times, too. For example, we see the same technique used on Charlie Evans/Robert Walker Jr. in "Charlie X." Actually, it's a tense scene between Kirk and Charlie--a battle of wills--and as the camera cuts back and forth between the two of them, you can see that they both have bands of light across their eyes--so that the audience will focus on the intense eyes of the two actors as they stare each other down.

Beautiful. Both shots look like paintings. Rather than just putting some actors on a set with enough lights and yelling action.
plynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 11:11 PM   #24
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Beautiful. Both shots look like paintings. Rather than just putting some actors on a set with enough lights and yelling action.
Agreed. That is very nicely done.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Lethe
Lieutenant

This is the coolest thread ever! I agree with a comment made earlier, that TOS is full of amazing camerawork. Just the other night I was watching an episode where the camera started overhead above the bridge... but it was centered and static for a little longer than you'd think it should have been. Kind of reminded me of something Stanley Kubrick might have done. I'm going to try and figure out which episode it was.
Lethe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 12:21 AM   #26
Kirk1980
Fleet Captain

Send a message via AIM to Kirk1980 Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kirk1980 Send a message via Yahoo to Kirk1980

Yeah, I think it was Bob Justman who told their new cameraman (Jerry Finnerman)...'go nuts'.

And he did, there's tons of innovation, bright colors, dramatic setups. For reference, I remember reading about how they busted ass to make that scene in Naked Time flow smooth. You know, where Spock has his little breakdown. That was done all in one take at the end of the day. (Source: Star Trek Memories by The Shat)

Let's see what's out there...
Kirk1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 01:14 AM   #27
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Lethe wrote: View Post
This is the coolest thread ever! I agree with a comment made earlier, that TOS is full of amazing camerawork. Just the other night I was watching an episode where the camera started overhead above the bridge... but it was centered and static for a little longer than you'd think it should have been. Kind of reminded me of something Stanley Kubrick might have done. I'm going to try and figure out which episode it was.
Yes it is! A statue of me in the center of town, courageously pointing to the heavens, is payment enough.

Kirk1980 wrote: View Post
Yeah, I think it was Bob Justman who told their new cameraman (Jerry Finnerman)...'go nuts'.

And he did, there's tons of innovation, bright colors, dramatic setups. For reference, I remember reading about how they busted ass to make that scene in Naked Time flow smooth. You know, where Spock has his little breakdown. That was done all in one take at the end of the day. (Source: Star Trek Memories by The Shat)
Oh, yes indeed. Some great moments in "Amok Time".

J.
Old May 18 2009, 02:39 AM   #28
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

I have another favorite shot. This one, too, is from "Balance of Terror."

Spock reports that among the debris from the Romulan ship is a metal-encased object. Kirk correctly determines it to be a warhead and quickly orders phasers to blow it up--but it's really, really close to the ship. It blows up, the ship shakes, the camera tilts and everyone falls out of their chairs. But in this case, all the power and lights go out on the bridge. No overhead work lights, no monitors, no colored blinky lights on the consoles. Nothing. The bridge is in complete darkness for a shot that last five seconds--complete darkness except for two lights on the bridge:

http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18 2009, 03:33 AM   #29
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

^ I loved the whole atmosphere of that episode.

J.