RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 401
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 16 2009, 04:25 AM   #1321
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

^ Well TNG was supposed to be about exploration, but they spent little time actually doing it. I say that as someone who loves TNG.
Old May 16 2009, 05:28 AM   #1322
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Raven

An ok episode, I like that Tuvok was the person sent in to rescue her instead of it always being Janeway.

With regards to the catsuit, I have to say I didn't really think about it too much when I first watched the series. Maybe I was used to them from watching Troi in TNG and Kira in DS9 but as I got older and re-watched them, I began to hate Seven's costume. Troi's was just stupid and they eventually put her in a uniform and Kira's didn't really bother me (except for those shoulder pads which they later got rid of - thank god), but Seven's was just ridiculous. I felt sorry for Jeri Ryan - she must not have eaten for 4 years and to be constantly worrying about looking perfect would have been stressful. But it was what it was, they needed ratings and they got them. It would have been nice for her to get some real clothes later on in the series though, at least once she'd established her character and popularity.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 05:28 AM   #1323
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Oops, double posted.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 05:44 AM   #1324
m.lp.ql.m
Lieutenant

Jaespol wrote: View Post
I just think tight fitting clothing always looks best and would rather have the rest of the crew switching over to tight one pieces...
Including Neelix? :P
m.lp.ql.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 06:43 AM   #1325
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Adm_Hawthorne wrote: View Post
Well, speaking as a woman, I can say that having hair that long and pulling it back is actually much easier to to do than having short hair. Short hair cannot be pulled out of your face without a lot of fuss and muss, short hair is actually harder to style, and short hair is difficult to do anything with if you've got a causal cut and want to go for something dressy. It's a fine line, really. All I'm saying is the long yet pulled back look is more practical/functional than you might think.
Huh. I have very little experience with long hair, so I didn't know. Of course, Seven isn't exactly the kind to go for styling or dressy - Sometimes I wonder why Seven never commented on how 'inefficient' hair is in the first place - You don't see the average drone with hair, after all.

Adm_Hawthorne wrote: View Post
Also, count me in the number that never wanted Seven to be commissioned. Her character would not have worked in the guise of a Starfleet officer. She and Janeway clashed heads enough just trying to get her to be human.
I was mainly going for a way to get her out of those catsuits - we'd seen her in the Starfleet uniform, so that was my first choice. But something other than the catsuits.
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 04:00 PM   #1326
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

DGCatAniSiri wrote: View Post

I was mainly going for a way to get her out of those catsuits - we'd seen her in the Starfleet uniform, so that was my first choice. But something other than the catsuits.
I am right there with you. I would like to have seen her out of the catsuit as well. It would have been a prime opportunity for the costume department to come up with some fabulous outfits. I mean, she's not in Starfleet, and she's trying to find ways to express herself. What better way than her clothing?
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 05:24 PM   #1327
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Raven is one of my least favs from Season 4. Snoozefest.
Old May 16 2009, 06:06 PM   #1328
Frazzled
Commander

Jaespol wrote: View Post

I just think tight fitting clothing always looks best and would rather have the rest of the crew switching over to tight one pieces than Seven switch into the awful Voyager uniform - which I found to be one the worst ST uniforms of all.

I like the Voyager uniform best. I like the way it's all black apart from the bright colour at the top, it suits most of the crew, and it tends to be fairly fitted if not completely 'tight'. Unlike the horrible shapeless thick fabric uniforms they switched to immediately after it in DS9, still black but chunky and the ribbed dull blue at the top is bluurrrgghhh.
Frazzled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 12:17 PM   #1329
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

GodBen wrote: View Post
The sad truth of the matter is that Seven looked so much better in a regular uniform with her hair down, yet the producers thought we all preferred her in the cat-suit when that wasn't the case (certain posters excluded ). She's an attractive woman, they should have let her be that rather than make her into a joke.

At least the silver one was very short-lived. I do agree with you, it was very adolescent and demeaning to the audience as well as the character.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:04 PM   #1330
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

The only thing I didn't like about The Raven were the unnecessary aliens that came with it. Actually, it's one of my qualms with the series in that they focused on action way too much and this was an episode that didn't need to. It could have been a great character study episode and for the most part it was, but the aliens were not needed.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:31 PM   #1331
TedShatner10
Commodore

Didn't these aliens of the week (TM) have weird 1980s themed costumes and make up?
TedShatner10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 08:24 PM   #1332
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

I think they had strange metal headgear - like they had lost a fight with a toast rack.
Old May 17 2009, 10:31 PM   #1333
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Scientific Method (*)

This episode is a bizarre mess of an ensemble show. I like it when Voyager makes use of many characters rather than just one or two, but this episode is not the way to do it because there is no core to it, the show morphs from one form to another and the pieces don't fit.

The first 15 minutes of the show is focused on Tom and B'Elanna's relationship, but then they almost fall off the face of the episode as the story shifts to Chakotay and Neelix who have strange medical ailments. Then they completely disappear as the episode decides to follow Ken Shmully and Seven, but then that gets dropped in favour of Janeway and her reckless driving. Then the episode comes full circle with a scene about Tom and B'Elanna, which fails as a bookend because I don't think either one of them was involved in final 20 minutes of the show.

And lets not forget Janeway's solution to the problem; fly the ship between 2 pulsars with a 95% probability of complete destruction. Of course all that happens is that the hull turns a little red and there is no casualties because this is Voyager, a show where you can do the stupidest fucking thing possible and still end up on top.

The scenes about Tom and B'Elanna at the beginning are interesting, the rest of the episode is a disjointed mess. The first below average episode of the season, and I'm using this as an excuse to remove that shame from my signature.
Old May 17 2009, 10:37 PM   #1334
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

Ha! I remember liking this one. It was fun seeing all the bizarre experiments performed on the crew, and Janeway going slowly insane amused me no end. But you're right, it's totally stupid.
Old May 17 2009, 11:11 PM   #1335
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

I loved Janeway flipping out and pushing that alien chick up against the wall. I do always love seeing Janeway go badass on us.

I do understand what you're saying about it being disjointed, however. I enjoyed the episode for it's dramatic appeal rather than its plausibility rating.
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote