The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 17 2009, 07:47 AM   #1
IlogicalOne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Embarrassed by Voyager?

Hi All,
I am new to this forum and am a fan of Star Trek TOS and Voyager as well and was glad that I had a chance to finally get to watch Voyager some years after the series ended. When it first aired I was working nights and never had the chance to watch it and it took forever for it to come to cable like TOS,TNG and DSN did.
That being the case, I was pleased when Spike TV started airing Voyager and
I had my first look at the series I had waited to see for such a long time. My only problem with this Trek series though was the way they had Seven of Nine looking like some sort of sex goddess with her tight fitting custom. Now I don't mean to offend anyone here by sounding sexist or like a prude, I'm not. I like looking at woman same as any man does, respectfully of course and not in a vulgar demeaning way. But I have to admit, I felt some what uncomfortable if anyone came in while I was watching Voyager and Seven of nine was on the screen flaunting her stuff. I admire actress Jeri Ryan and think she was terrific in her part but could they not of made her look so, I don't know, over sexed? I mean she did distract from most episodes she was in. Nice looking though, but took away from the story.
Would love to see her reprise her role again if she ever has the chance. Maybe in something a little less sexy though.

Thanks.
IlogicalOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 07:56 AM   #2
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Re: Embarrassed by Voyager?

Embarrassed for Voyager? - never!

Embarrased because of a catsuit? - No. Personally I did not pay any attention to it after couple of episodes.

In addition, I really don't care if some teenager boys lose their marbles because of a catsuit. For them it might to do trick to sell the character, but for me the catsuit was more or less irrelevant. Couple of times it was laughable mostly, but not embarrassing. I would have liked to see the Borg implate stripping taking longer than it did, though. Maybe the catsuit could have premiered in the end of the season 4 instead.
Old May 17 2009, 07:58 AM   #3
teacock
Admiral

7 doesn't think about such things, her uniform choice is based purely on comfort. Having fabric flapping around and loose distresses her after years of borg plating, she likes to feel contained.

So, next time you feel embarrassed about 7 just remember what she's been through and stop thinking about yourself.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 08:13 AM   #4
IlogicalOne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

teacake wrote: View Post
7 doesn't think about such things, her uniform choice is based purely on comfort. Having fabric flapping around and loose distresses her after years of borg plating, she likes to feel contained.

So, next time you feel embarrassed about 7 just remember what she's been through and stop thinking about yourself.
You are right. I had not thought of it that way before. Also I think her character added to the show. TOS had Spock, TNG had Data and Voyager had it's SOV. All beloved members of the Trek family.
Old May 17 2009, 08:15 AM   #5
IlogicalOne
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Tachyon wrote: View Post
Embarrassed for Voyager? - never!

Embarrased because of a catsuit? - No. Personally I did not pay any attention to it after couple of episodes.

In addition, I really don't care if some teenager boys lose their marbles because of a catsuit. For them it might to do trick to sell the character, but for me the catsuit was more or less irrelevant. Couple of times it was laughable mostly, but not embarrassing. I would have liked to see the Borg implate stripping taking longer than it did, though. Maybe the catsuit could have premiered in the end of the season 4 instead.
Maybe embarrassed was too strong a word. Still love the character of Seven and what she did for the show.
Old May 17 2009, 08:23 AM   #6
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

She was a good character. A little over-used to say the least, but a good one.
Old May 17 2009, 08:48 AM   #7
Vykan12
Lieutenant Commander

The borg physically enhanced their drones with all those artificial body parts, it's only natural that 7 was that voluptuous. Would you expect someone who was genetically modified by a sophisticated race to be a fat slob?
Vykan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 12:26 PM   #8
Praetorian
Captain

That's not really the point...

And yeah, if someone were to catch me watching a Voyager scene/episode with Seven in it, they would probably give me the "you're a pervert" look and embarassement would follow. So I fully understand what you mean IlogicalOne.

That makes no sense, we're talking about real life here...
Old May 17 2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Eh, the scantily clad sexy female has been a part of sci-fi for so long that there's little point in being a prude just because Trek did it too. In fact that was hardly the first time Trek did it.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 02:08 PM   #10
Praetorian
Captain

Something being done countless times before is no excuse to keep doing it...

Specially because I didn't like it before too!
Old May 17 2009, 02:32 PM   #11
Adm_Hawthorne
Admiral

View Adm_Hawthorne's Twitter Profile

You know, I've never understood the anti-catsuit thing around here with the argument that it was 'too distracting' or 'too sexy'. There has always been at least one sexpot on Trek. In TOS it was Uhura followed by Nurse Chapel. In TNG it was Troi followed by Beverly. In DS9, it was Kira followed by Dax. In Voyager it was Kes then Seven followed by Torres. (Alas, even I realize Janeway is toward the bottom of the lineup. *sigh* ) In Ent, it was T'Pol followed by Hoshi.

There's nothing really off on Seven's attire other than the fact that her chest was more pronounced than Kes's was. (No offense to those of you who loved Kes.)

Were you distracted by Troi's catsuit? How about the miniskirt, almost-a-shirt uniform Uhura wore? Were your attentions taken from the storyline when Kira walked through in her catsuit like uniform? *shakes head* That issue just never made any sense to me.

At the very least, there is a logical reason why Seven's suit looks like it does, which is more than I can say for the rest of the ladies. There's no reason for a uniform to be sexy... thinking Uhura and Kira here.

Sorry, this just perplexes me.
Adm_Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 02:47 PM   #12
Tachyon
Fleet Captain

Not to mention that the Starfleet uniforms in DS9's later seasons were almost as tight as Seven's catsuit. Just look at Dax. Seven was a little more "curvlicious" because of the corset Jeri had to wear.
Old May 17 2009, 03:07 PM   #13
Praetorian
Captain

Were you distracted by Troi's catsuit? How about the miniskirt, almost-a-shirt uniform Uhura wore? Were your attentions taken from the storyline when Kira walked through in her catsuit like uniform?
Yes, I didn't like those things either. Hell I couldn't take Troi seriously until she started wearing a standard uniform... And I would rather have female Starfleet Officers in TOS wearing the trousers version...
Kira wearing a catsuit was lame... While I think that Nana Visitor is an atractive woman, I though her original look was much better. As Nana herself said, "Kira was an ex-terrorist, she didn't care about her looks..." hence Nana requesting a new hair cut after "Emissary". However that was replaced by catsuit, more stylish hair cut and high heels... Lame, very lame.

No one mentioned "my attention taken from the storyline" so why bring that up?
Despite the cat suit, Seven became of my favourite characters... However I didn't like the cat suit. It was a cheap (can it not be cheap? =P) attempt at T&A that I would have prefered to not have happened.

Not to mention that the Starfleet uniforms in DS9's later seasons were almost as tight as Seven's catsuit. Just look at Dax. Seven was a little more "curvlicious" because of the corset Jeri had to wear.
Again...this is not relevant. I didn't like those things as well! Don't use this as some sort of argument...

It would be like me saying I didn't like the plotholes in Voyager and someone answering that other Star Trek series also have plotholes...
And that it's not an uncommon situation in sci-fi in general!

Why? Does that makes plotholes any less bad? No....
Old May 17 2009, 04:10 PM   #14
m.lp.ql.m
Lieutenant

Praetorian wrote: View Post
And yeah, if someone were to catch me watching a Voyager scene/episode with Seven in it, they would probably give me the "you're a pervert" look and embarassement would follow.
I think that's more telling of them than you.
m.lp.ql.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17 2009, 04:57 PM   #15
Praetorian
Captain

Last edited by Praetorian; May 17 2009 at 06:23 PM.
Praetorian is offline   Reply With Quote