Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

Old May 16 2009, 05:31 AM   #16
T J
Commodore

Re: Clearing Up the Timelines

ROFLMAO!!!

These are great!
Old May 16 2009, 11:09 AM   #17
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
I think this covers it.

I hate you.
Old May 16 2009, 11:12 AM   #18
CommanderRaytas
Rear Admiral

Kelso wrote: View Post
The Abrams-verse is about to crash into the time-traveling Borg.

The Abrams-verse is clearly going to win.
CommanderRaytas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 11:16 AM   #19
Wally
Lieutenant Commander

I think this covers it.

. Perhaps it IS high time for a reboot.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 11:32 AM   #20
Cdr MacDuff
Lieutenant Commander

I think this covers it.

In reality, Abramsverse could easily be ditched by another TV/movie producers for the original timeline or a new timeline.
Cdr MacDuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 12:02 PM   #21
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

Ugh.
Old May 16 2009, 12:08 PM   #22
FrankR
Lieutenant Commander

you DS9 to TOS
FrankR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 12:31 PM   #23
skep155
Lieutenant Commander

I believe Abramsverse also changes ENT, the events taking place in ENT require events in the 29th century/temporal cold war or whatever to stay the same. If Future Guy no longer exists or the Temporal Cold war no longer happens then the events in Enterprise must also have been altered.
skep155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 12:31 PM   #24
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

skep155 wrote: View Post
I believe Abramsverse also changes ENT, the events taking place in ENT require events in the 29th century/temporal cold war or whatever to stay the same. If Future Guy no longer exists or the Temporal Cold war no longer happens then the events in Enterprise must also have been altered.
DIFFERENT. TIMELINES.
Old May 16 2009, 12:48 PM   #25
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

Thanks for visualizing what I had But like I said, all them "other" events were ultimately corrected or were so tiny to begin with, they had no huge impact on the timeline (other than the FC Borg Debris).

Everything else was a Freak Wave. First Contact was like a Storm Surge. Nero was an asteroid created Tsunami. Thats the best analogy I can put it in in relation to its effect on time.
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:10 PM   #26
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

skep155 wrote: View Post
No, as we have seen, once a time traveler changes the past, it stays changed.

Picard and the Borg still interfered with Cochrane's first warp flight before "Enterprise." FutureGuy and Daniels and the Sphere Builders still interfered with history during "Enterprise." And Nero and Spock interfered with history after "Enterprise."

In "Yesterday's Enterprise," when Lt. Yar went back in time on the Enterpirse-C, she and her daughter, Sela, still continued to exist in this new timeline, even if we never see their original timeline with the Klingon war again. Likewise, even if Nero erases the future existence of Daniels and FutureGuy, their visits to the past have already happened, and always will have happened. Like Yar and Sela, they may come from futures that will never happen in this timeline, but they were real when they came back to this timeline, and their actions are still a part of history.

As to the above chart, it is missing the 17 temporal incursions involving the U.S.S. Voyager, most notably the creation of Timeline 14-G by Captain Chakotay in "Timeless," and the creation of Timeline 29-A by Admiral Janeway in "Endgame."

(This Timeline 29-A is the one depicted in "Star Trek: Nemesis," as evidenced by Admiral Janeway's existence at Starfleet Command in that timeline, and Timeline 29-A is also known as the Prime Timeline, from which Nero and Spock came in "Star Trek XI," which ended up in Timeline 29-B, where Vulcan was destroyed.)

The last episode of "Enterprise" took place in Timeline 11-R, which was identical to Timeline 29-B up to Stardate 2233.04, when Nero arrived in the past.

And let's not forget all the alternate timelines created by the Vorgons in "Captain's Holiday."

We're going to need a bigger chart ...
TrekGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:24 PM   #27
TrekGuide.com
Fleet Captain

Dac wrote: View Post
Thanks for visualizing what I had But like I said, all them "other" events were ultimately corrected or were so tiny to begin with, they had no huge impact on the timeline (other than the FC Borg Debris).

Everything else was a Freak Wave. First Contact was like a Storm Surge. Nero was an asteroid created Tsunami. Thats the best analogy I can put it in in relation to its effect on time.
No, whether you go back and step on a single butterfly, or blow up an entire planet, it's still a new timeline. The magnitude of the changes has nothing to do with the fact that the timeline is changed merely by the act of time travel.

While many timelines are nearly identical (where the only difference in the entire Universe is that Worf's birthday cake is yellow instead of chocolate, as seen in "Parallels"), they are still different timelines.

Using your water analogy, whether it's a single drop of rain or a tidal wave, an act of time travel is creating an alternate timeline. The size of the splash merely determines how different (or similar) it will be to the time traveler's home timeline.
TrekGuide.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 03:42 PM   #28
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

TrekGuide.com wrote: View Post
No, whether you go back and step on a single butterfly...
Now THAT was a horrible movie.
Old May 16 2009, 04:11 PM   #29
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

TrekGuide.com wrote: View Post
Dac wrote: View Post

No, whether you go back and step on a single butterfly, or blow up an entire planet, it's still a new timeline. The magnitude of the changes has nothing to do with the fact that the timeline is changed merely by the act of time travel.

While many timelines are nearly identical (where the only difference in the entire Universe is that Worf's birthday cake is yellow instead of chocolate, as seen in "Parallels"), they are still different timelines.

Using your water analogy, whether it's a single drop of rain or a tidal wave, an act of time travel is creating an alternate timeline. The size of the splash merely determines how different (or similar) it will be to the time traveler's home timeline.
Except everything prior to Nero created timelines which were very very very similar to the original, minus the timeline where the borg debris was discovered (which is the same timeline that First Contact created).

Between FC and Nero, there was no known time travel incursions between 2163(when I think Regeneration Took place) and 2233 (the temporal cold war does not count, because it eventually didnt even happen).

Now, the first minute or so of the new movie takes place in the First Contact timeline which is the timeline Enterprise took place in, and the past of the future characters of Picard and Co had observed (Schrodinger's Cat and all that, if it is seen, it sticks) thus this is the closest timeline to the universe it had originated from - The Moment Nero comes out of the singularity, then we are in the new timeline which is vastly different. Hence, First Contact is a storm surge (a larger than usual shift in the timeline, but still fairly normal) and Nero is a Tsunami (A Giant, Universe changing shift).
Dac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16 2009, 04:14 PM   #30
HellRaiser
Lieutenant

I prefer the alternate quantum reality theory (seen here), for that permits the future exploration of the 24th and 25th centuries. Not only has this theory been incorporated to permit ST:Online, but statements from the ST11 screenwriters indicate that this was their intent -- they point to "Parallels" for inspiration for the time travel.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but I wouldn't want you guys parading your Prime Timeline disrupting theory without a counterargument logged.
HellRaiser is offline   Reply With Quote