Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Voyager

Voyager There's coffee in this forum!

Old May 14 2009, 10:14 PM   #1291
DGCatAniSiri
Captain

Re: A Hater Revisits Voyager

At least ratings-wise, I would suggest including both the pre-deduction and post-deduction scores in the actual review. I'm not so sure about how to handle the graphs and charts with that idea, though...
DGCatAniSiri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:17 PM   #1292
JustKate
Rear Admiral

GodBen wrote: View Post
JustKate wrote: View Post
Golly, GB, that's so...reasonable! You're getting dangerously rational for a Trek board, you know...
I wish I could take all the credit, but I only realised the truth after being visited by three ghosts during the night. They took me on a crazy journey through time and showed me the negative consequences of my policy, and it would have taken a heart of stone to ignore their pleas.

So I told them to GTFO and let me get back to sleep, but the ghost from the future threw me against the wall and held a knife to my throat. I'm not a smart man but I know when I'm bested, so I backed down in the face of imminent death.

True story.
I figured it was something like that.
JustKate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14 2009, 10:43 PM   #1293
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

The fact that so many people have asked me to hold back on the point deductions for torpedoes and shuttles is beginning to make me question that policy, so I have come to an important decision; I'm going to set you all to ignore for the duration of my reviews. I can't have people influencing me, I'm sure you all understand and thank you for your cooperation.

Wouldn't it be fun if I was really like that?

I'm shelving that policy for now and I'll try to find a way to incorporate point deductions without affecting the episode scores, so consider Nemesis as being promoted to three and a half stars. I'm keeping the point deductions for TNG-style episodes as I do feel that this is a valid complaint against individual episodes as opposed to the show in general.
To be honest, I don't think it's a big issue. Shuttle crashes are an obvious cliché, so maybe you should only deduct points if it is completely arbitrary and unnecessary? Rick Sternbach has said manufacturing new shuttles shouldn't be a massive problem anyway, so neither should torpedoes.

Besides, Bernd Schneider already counted them up. (link)
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 01:33 AM   #1294
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Revulsion (**½)

I'm going to single out the first scene of this episode because I found it very enjoyable to watch. The bit where Tom and Kim tell a story about a prank they pulled on Tuvok wasn't as funny as it wanted to be, but I liked the energy after that moment as multiple plot and character threads are addressed. That scene made Voyager feel like a community with each person having their own story, and this is a feeling which I feel hasn't been there through much of the show so far.

The plot where Doctor Kennith H. Shmully and B'Elanna go to help that hologram guy was drawn out far too long, it is clear to the audience that something is wrong with him right away but the episode takes a long time to get anywhere with it. My other big problem with this episode is that B'Elanna is the one who kills the guy when I feel that it needed to be Dr Shmully who performed this act. It takes what could have been an interesting story where Shmully is forced to kill one of his own kind into a boring survival story for B'Elanna.

The b-story about Kim's crush on Seven was at least fun and gave Harry something to do. I'm not fond of Tom warning Harry off Seven because she's a Borg as only two episodes ago Tom gave Seven a speech about how he wants to help her and doesn't judge her. It made things feel disjointed.

A shuttle appeared in this episode and since I can't take points away from it I'm just going to grumble about it. *grumbles*
Old May 15 2009, 01:47 AM   #1295
NumberSix
Lieutenant

Location: wonderland or neverland, whether i'm with alice or peter

Revulsion

First up, I thought the first scene was very un-Star Trek. I actually screwed up my nose when I saw all the blood, thinking wtf? I did like this episode despite its predictable-ness, probably because I like Leland Orser who played the crazy-hologram. I also agree with GodBen that the Doctor should have been the one to kill crazy-hologram-guy to make for a more interesting plot twist. Overall I thought it was interesting to see an episode that was more "i know what you did last summer" than normal trek.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 02:24 AM   #1296
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Revulsion (**½)
Agreed. Generally, had the dilemma with the hologram been handled better and more tense, I think it would have made for a better episode. But I do like it.

I'm not fond of Tom warning Harry off Seven because she's a Borg as only two episodes ago Tom gave Seven a speech about how he wants to help her and doesn't judge her. It made things feel disjointed.
Obviously, Tom is lying and wants her for himself.

Wouldn't it be awful if he were really like that?

A shuttle appeared in this episode and since I can't take points away from it I'm just going to grumble about it. *grumbles*
Next you'll be shouting for those damn kids to stay off your lawn.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 04:34 AM   #1297
Jaespol
Captain

Yeah I found this episode boring me and did feel it was drawn out too long.

As for the torpedo/shuttle count rating, I think deductions should be taken from the series as a whole not single episodes otherwise we won't know by the ratings what you think of the actual quality of the episode, deducting for shuttles would be too technical.
Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 04:42 AM   #1298
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Seems that GodBen missed the "Voyager-Shuttle-O-Matic" seen in the background of several episodes. Just push the big red button and a shiny new shuttle pops out!

Sometimes my art skills amaze me.

Old May 15 2009, 04:50 AM   #1299
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Bravo, good sir. I'm glad there's a red button.

GodBen should post that image whenever a theoretically new shuttle is lost from here on out, in exchange for not deducting points anymore.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old May 15 2009, 04:53 AM   #1300
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

Praetor wrote: View Post
Bravo, good sir. I'm glad there's a red button.

GodBen should post that image whenever a theoretically new shuttle is lost from here on out, in exchange for not deducting points anymore.
I 'shuttle' to think what might happen if he didn't!

/runs screaming into the night/
Old May 15 2009, 05:08 AM   #1301
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ouch...
Old May 15 2009, 05:12 AM   #1302
The Grim Ghost
Fleet Captain

^ I'm in a weird mood tonight, what can I say?

I liked Revulsion, an average but entertaining episode. Sometimes I get a little tired of the Doctor flipping out with glee everytime he meets another hologram, but I guess it is understandable.
Old May 15 2009, 07:03 AM   #1303
Vykan12
Lieutenant Commander

I'm keeping the point deductions for TNG-style episodes as I do feel that this is a valid complaint against individual episodes as opposed to the show in general.
If TNG didn't exist, or someone (such as myself) say VOY before TNG, then those criticisms don't apply at all. Then again, there is something to be said for over-exploring the same topic. I'm not sure where I stand on this issue.
Vykan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 07:28 AM   #1304
Jaespol
Captain

What you call "TNG-esque" episodes, I call "Star Trek" episodes.
Jaespol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 10:55 AM   #1305
Tomalak
Vice Admiral

View Tomalak's Twitter Profile

Another one of those Hologram episodes that doesn't pause to think about the ramifications. Seriously, holotechnology should be more closely regulated if you can effectively create a new, sentient being at the touch of a button. It started with Moriarty on TNG, continued with the Doctor on Voyager, and then DS9 created Vic Fontaine. They can even suffer mental traumas and go on a rampage of murder. The only episode that really touches on it is "Author, Author", which is just a pale imitation of "The Measure of a Man" with added comedy in the first half. The scene at the end where it is revealed that the Mark I EMHs are being used as slaves is shocking really.

The scene where Evil Hologram grabs B'Elanna's heart is pretty cool though.
Tomalak is offline   Reply With Quote