Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media > Lost

Lost We're not the only forum on this board, and we all know it!

View Poll Results: Grade the episode...
Excellent 82 79.61%
Above Average 15 14.56%
Average 3 2.91%
Below Average 2 1.94%
Poor 1 0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 14 2009, 03:36 PM   #91
Mr Awe
Rear Admiral

Re: Lost Fifth Season Finale: "The Incident"

Arrghman wrote: View Post
That was my interpretation as well... that Jacob saved Sayid's life but couldn't save them both (for some reason?)
Clearly, this was to get Sayid to return to the island. Just like his visit with Hurley. If she is still alive, Sayid stays on the mainland, isn't messing around with Alana, etc. He wanted that group to return to the island so that those characters (Jack, Kate, Sayid, and Hurley) can go back in time and change the past. If those characters aren't there, Daniel's plan dies with him. Jacob is doing this to save himself.

Mr Awe
Old May 14 2009, 04:27 PM   #92
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Ok correction on the Latin speak, that Richard said to Ilana to answer her question of What lies in the shadow of the statue? He actually says: "That which watched over all of us"
Old May 14 2009, 05:37 PM   #93
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I wonder how all of this will relate to backgammon come season 6.
Old May 14 2009, 05:43 PM   #94
Gertch
Admiral

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
Not really digging this turn of events with "not Locke."
Right now I'm not happy with it either. Or finding our our Losties are merely pawns in a battle of good vs evil.

Maybe even smaller than that. Jacob setting up a chess move to change history so he wont actually be killed. By hand picking some people and setting them on a path to change the timeline then Locke is not around for his foe to use.

But I'm sure they'll come up with something to make me love the idea.
Old May 14 2009, 05:47 PM   #95
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

First of all, I thought it was excellent and I can't wait to see next season!

But sometimes I wonder if I am watching a different show than you folks.

- Juliet. I am very much hoping she's dead because she is my least favorite character. But even if she weren't and even if I thought she was hot, why do you guys like her so much? First she just followed Jack around with that annoying look on her face and now she just follows Sawyer around. She serves no purpose, is just "there" and getting in the way. Even if I didn't hate her I wouldn't be upset at her possible death because she doesn't add anything to the show anyway.

- Jacob. He seems like a huge prick to me. His enemy is as well. They both seem like heartless bitches. "What about you?" Man that was so mean! The worst possible thing you could say to Ben. I felt really bad for Ben in that moment. All his life he has been craving male parental attention, craving acceptance and for someone to be proud of him. And all the male figures in his life who he looks up to totally ignore him and treat him like shit. So either Jacob is an egotistical idiot or he wanted Ben to kill him.

- Locke. I saw that some of you were upset about the real Locke being dead all this time because you liked the way he acted as leader this season. I have to really disagree there. I hated Locke this season, he was such an arrogant jerk! Sometimes he would be okay, seeming confident and sure of his purpose, but then he would say or do something that made him seem really heartless and evil. The new Locke was not a nice guy and I'm happy to find out that it wasn't actually Locke.

- The bomb. I didn't think Jack's reasoning was all that crazy. I don't think he explained it well to Sawyer, but it seems to me like the attitude that he and the rest of them have (after they changed their minds) is that they basically have nothing to lose. Things have gone seriously wrong and either they are going to be involved in some crazy Incident or they are likely going to be killed by the Dharma folks. They could run away and live with Rose and Bernard but it looks like none of them would be satisfied with that. So their choices are be killed/live miserably, or drop the bomb and possibly die but also have a chance that things actually work out and all this misery would be undone. I would have done it! Their reasoning could be explained well by the phrase "fuck it."

I yelled out with joy when I saw Vincent! I have been wondering all season where he was. Now we know about him and Rose and Bernard and I felt happy for them. I'd like to be in their position.

A little too much love triangle stuff this episode, but it was okay because it seemed like they were wrapping it up for the most part. Jack and Kate belong together and Juliet and Sawyer belonged together, that seemed clear by the end of the episode and after the little talk that Jack and Sawyer had. So hopefully there will be little to no focus on this next season.

I don't know what will end up happening with the time travel. Where or when they get transported, if they die, if that was the actual Incident or if they changed time, I have no idea. I'm not even going to try and make any guesses on that front. Just wait until next season.

I think that's all I have to say for now!

ETA: Oh wait, I thought of more to add.

I feel confident that Jacob's enemy dude has been the smoke monster, and that he can take the form of the dead bodies on the island, which is why he was Christian for a while. I also think that he inhabited the bodies of Rouseau's pals, which is why they were acting different and weird. When they got sucked into that hole in the ground they died and came back out as the enemy dude. This could be why he killed others as well, like Eko, so he could take their bodies (but didn't end up using them).
—T.S. Eliot

Last edited by Spot's Ghost; May 14 2009 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 14 2009, 06:13 PM   #96
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

maybe Jacob represents life (white backgammon piece) and Esau represents death (black backgammon piece), although Jacob is a bit mean spirited and selfish, so he chooses who lives and who dies.
Old May 14 2009, 06:27 PM   #97
Gertch
Admiral

I didn't see Jacob as mean or selfish. He wasn't going to answer to Ben because he knows what was about the happen. And obviously wanted it to.
Old May 14 2009, 06:33 PM   #98
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Gertch wrote: View Post
By hand picking some people and setting them on a path to change the timeline then Locke is not around for his foe to use.
I wouldn't count John Locke out just yet.
Old May 14 2009, 06:37 PM   #99
Obiwanshinobi
Rear Admiral

Ok maybe mean spirited and selfish were the wrong choice of words to say, but thats actually not the part i meant. The part where he let Sayid's fiance get ran over, so that she dies, thus causing him to eventually come back to the island, basically using him and the others as tools to his survival, staying at least a couple steps in front of Esau, like this was one gigantic chess game like somebody mentioned above. But he had to sacrifice her in order for Sayid to come back. He could have saved her, but didn't because she didn't fit into his plans. That's what I meant. I'm aware he knew Ben was going to kill him, it even sounded like he provoked him to.
Old May 14 2009, 06:40 PM   #100
Spot's Meow
Vice Admiral

I believe he wanted Ben to kill him too, but that doesn't make sense with the other theory that people seem to be putting out, which is that Jacob has gone through all this trouble of getting everyone to the island and changing the timeline so that he isn't killed. Why go through all of that if you can just stop Ben from killing you in the first place?
—T.S. Eliot
Old May 14 2009, 06:53 PM   #101
Agent Richard07
Admiral

I slept on it and decided to vote "above average". I couldn't give it an excellent. It was quite an edge-of-your-seat ride, but there was too much tease and build-up, and not enough in the way of solid answers or things coming together.
Old May 14 2009, 07:58 PM   #102
exodus
Fleet Admiral

ObiWanShinobi wrote: View Post
Ok correction on the Latin speak, that Richard said to Ilana to answer her question of What lies in the shadow of the statue? He actually says: "That which watched over all of us"
Oooh, thanks for the translation.
Old May 14 2009, 08:35 PM   #103
Mr Light
Admiral

In retrospect, this makes me wonder if Christian isn't with Jacob but with the Adversary. When Ilana gets to Jacob's Cabin she freaks out because the circle of ash was broken and "someone else has been using it". I gotta go back to re-examine everything "Christian" has ever done and said now! It makes sense to associate Cerebus with the Adversary; Cerebus is a security system to keeps outsiders away from the Temple. The Adversary was upset with Jacob for bring the Black Rock to the Island (and by extension any other people as well). So the Adversary wants the Island to be left alone while Jacob wants to bring people here with his lists and his weaving threads through history. It sounds like their rivalry is over whether human nature is redemptive or inherently evil. Not to mention the fact that Cerebus told Ben to do whatever Locke/Adversary told him to do!

Old May 14 2009, 09:04 PM   #104
Caligula
Vice Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
What a cliffhanger! I think that cliffhanger is better than the "Riker: Fire" cliffhanger from TNG. Cause here, we are left hanging as to whether this resets the timeline or not.
I'm not sure which I like better, but I rank this cliffhanger right up there with "The Best of Both Worlds," and "The Incident" is now my favorite episode of Lost.
Old May 14 2009, 09:21 PM   #105
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

Every scene with the Smoke monster is now worth a second look. Maybe "Esau" (or Anti-Jacob, whatever we're calling him) is scanning them to see if he can use them as part of his 'loophole' plan (which I assume means manipulating someone else into killing Jacob, ie Ben in this case).

And once he realizes he can't use them... ffttt, you're dead.