Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science and Technology

Science and Technology "Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known." - Carl Sagan.

Old May 12 2009, 02:58 AM   #16
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

View Squiggy's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Squiggy
Re: Obama orders a review of NASA's plan to return to the Moon

Johnny Rico wrote: View Post
Note that it was Bush who wanted to go back to the Moon. Just like JFK did in 1961.
Note that Bush didn't fund NASA to do so. JFK did.
Old May 12 2009, 05:46 AM   #17
msbae
Commodore

Well, this just prove my theory all along that it is the Left who, in all their ultimate wisdom, can't see the benefits the NASA program has achieved over the years.

Note that it was Bush who wanted to go back to the Moon. Just like JFK did in 1961.

Fuck the current budgetary problems. That's a temporary thing. We'll get back on our feet one day....when Obama is long and gone...not before...and if NASA is indeed cut, then we'll wonder what the fuck we did back in the early 2010s.

But all this goes back to the liberal montra..."Don't spend all that money [where-ever]....Let's spend it here." Well, we see where all that "spending here" is going, now don't we....BIG LABOR. Yeah...that creates jobs....what a frakkin' joke.
Squiggyfm wrote: View Post
Note that Bush didn't fund NASA to do so. JFK did.
And also note that it was Eisenhower who created NASA in 1958 as a counter to the Soviet space effort & Sputnik. Party affiliation doesn't really mean shit. Virtually ALL politicians are equally worthless.

Last edited by msbae; May 12 2009 at 08:26 PM.
msbae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 07:57 PM   #18
BolianAuthor
Writer, Battlestar Urantia

Send a message via AIM to BolianAuthor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BolianAuthor

Yeah... of course, if Bush had done this, you'd all be jumping on him, and calling for his to stop, and help NASA... but now that Obama's President, you're all mellow about it. Figures.
BolianAuthor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 08:28 PM   #19
msbae
Commodore

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Yeah... of course, if Bush had done this, you'd all be jumping on him, and calling for his to stop, and help NASA... but now that Obama's President, you're all mellow about it. Figures.
Are you talking to me? I think NASA deserves to have it's budget tripled, regardless of who's in office.
Old May 12 2009, 08:45 PM   #20
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

BolianAdmiral wrote: View Post
Um...no?
Old May 12 2009, 09:45 PM   #21
John Picard
Vice Admiral

I love politically charged knee-jerk reactions to a President's decision. It's so mature and a well thought out means of expressing one's opinions. It's also good to armchair quarterback how *you* (the person with the knee-jerk reaction) knows all and has it on the utmost authority that the person who is ordering a course of action you disagree with is a complete imbecile.
Old May 13 2009, 12:52 AM   #22
Falcor5
Fleet Captain

Norrin Radd wrote: View Post
Spend it on Mars, not the moon.
The article posted in the original post said they planned on going to the moon to build a base for future trips to Mars. Here is the quote:

In January 2004, President George W. Bush announced plans for the United States to return to the moon by 2020 and build a way station there for flights to Mars. NASA's last human flight to the moon was in 1972.
Falcor5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 01:41 AM   #23
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

Yup. That's the plan. Get back to the moon and THAT would be our launch pad for Martain missions.

But you gotta give NASA the money to do it. You can't just say "Go to Mars" and then "Go to everything else we tell you to do without any more money". So, the current Administration has ordered NASA to go over it's books and see what can be scrapped in order to fund the Ares/Constellation buildups. As it stands now, NASA must pick and choose what gets the appropriate resources and money.
Old May 13 2009, 01:49 AM   #24
John Picard
Vice Admiral

Yup. That's the plan. Get back to the moon and THAT would be our launch pad for Martain missions.

But you gotta give NASA the money to do it. You can't just say "Go to Mars" and then "Go to everything else we tell you to do without any more money". So, the current Administration has ordered NASA to go over it's books and see what can be scrapped in order to fund the Ares/Constellation buildups. As it stands now, NASA must pick and choose what gets the appropriate resources and money.

You know what would be a real bitch (and also very hilarious)? If a mission to Mars gets to the Moon and finds a bunch of supplies missing, and a note written in some alien language, as well as binary, that says, "This is an IOU for some parts we had to borrow to fix our hyperdrive. Sorry, but we were behind schedule and had to get home quickly. Thank you, ADFHHFJS, FHUUVNW, and FHJFHUES".
Old May 13 2009, 02:07 AM   #25
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

I'd blame JJ.
Old May 13 2009, 08:28 PM   #26
msbae
Commodore

That makes sense. And since we're dealing with the Government here, I somehow doubt that's the reason. Poor NASA... They get so much shit...
Old May 13 2009, 09:12 PM   #27
MIB
Rear Admiral

USS KG5 wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Iraq and Afganistan alone are getting 170 Billion, and they're both substantially more hospitable than outer space is. They actually have atmospheres.
To be fair, as a rule, no-one shoots at you in outer space, and roadside bombs are pretty much impossible.
Except for God with his gamma ray lasers and micro meteorite machine guns. =/
Old May 13 2009, 09:29 PM   #28
USS KG5
Vice Admiral

MIB wrote: View Post
hyzmarca wrote: View Post
Iraq and Afganistan alone are getting 170 Billion, and they're both substantially more hospitable than outer space is. They actually have atmospheres.
To be fair, as a rule, no-one shoots at you in outer space, and roadside bombs are pretty much impossible.
Well if God is against you you are pretty screwed anyway, unless you are Lyra Belaqua of course.
Old May 13 2009, 10:29 PM   #29
Squiggy
LORD SHIT SUPREME

MIB wrote: View Post

Well if God is against you you are pretty screwed anyway, unless you are Lyra Belaqua of course.
Or Robau.
Old May 14 2009, 03:24 AM   #30
Shawnster
Fleet Captain

John Picard wrote: View Post

You know what would be a real bitch (and also very hilarious)? If a mission to Mars gets to the Moon and finds a bunch of supplies missing, and a note written in some alien language, as well as binary, that says, "This is an IOU for some parts we had to borrow to fix our hyperdrive. Sorry, but we were behind schedule and had to get home quickly. Thank you, ADFHHFJS, FHUUVNW, and FHJFHUES".
There was a short story I read years ago that detailed a memo conversation between upper management and lower management of an alien species in concern of some human artifacts taken from the moon. The aliens weren't supposed to take anything because humans might come back some day and everything needed to be as it was. After much squabbling the lower management finally returned everything - so they thought. Turns out the aliens didn't return all the space suits - they either left one too many or one too few (can't remember).
Shawnster is offline   Reply With Quote