RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,408
Members: 24,629
Currently online: 538
Newest member: Karzak

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 12 2009, 04:29 PM   #1576
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
So you're saying I should let go of my grip on reality?
I suppose it would be easier.
The message is clear.

Remove all kittens from your underwear. No good can come of it.
Oh no, are we going back to the pussy discussion?
I'm sorry, do we ever leave the pussy discussion?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 04:40 PM   #1577
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

Dennis wrote: View Post
ITL wrote: View Post
The message is clear.

Remove all kittens from your underwear. No good can come of it.
Good point, well made.
Old May 12 2009, 04:42 PM   #1578
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Good point, well made.
Common ground! Yes!
Old May 12 2009, 04:43 PM   #1579
CaptainJon
Captain

Borgminister wrote: View Post
CaptainJon wrote: View Post

My one issue with the script is how neatly everyone falls into place by the end of the movie. While it strains credibility, the nature of the movie and just how fun a ride it is makes it easy to forgive this minor nitpick.
I agree, but still loved to see the fully realized crew on deck ready for their first mission.

Which looks more and more likely to be upcoming...

Star Trek is back!
Indeed....

Great review, by the way...
Thanks!
CaptainJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 04:54 PM   #1580
thumbtack
Commodore

The haters appear to be holding at 5-6% (only 2.5% at BoxOfficeMojo). Certainly acceptable losses from Paramount's perspective. Although none of them seem to have actually left yet. Curious.
Old May 12 2009, 04:55 PM   #1581
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

thumbtack wrote: View Post
The haters appear to be holding at 5-6% (only 2.5% at BoxOfficeMojo).
Well, BoxOfficeMojo ain't a Trek board.
Old May 12 2009, 05:06 PM   #1582
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

JJ Abrams' Star Trek reboot has topped the UK box office charts with almost £6 million grossed in its first weekend on release.
Not bad going in the UK. I remember not too long ago the chart toppers would be bringing in less than £1m.
Old May 12 2009, 05:23 PM   #1583
Serial thread killer
Rear Admiral

View Serial thread killer's Twitter Profile

I just got back this second from seeing it have to say its in my top 3 of fav trek films.
Loved the references to st 2 and 4 only thing i not sure about is that Enterpise is the only cannon show.
I think the actor who played MCcoy really nailed his part.
And love Scotty's little green friend.
Malcolm on Star Wars: "The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin. His father's a robot and he's fucking fucked his sister. Lego. They're all made of fucking lego."
Serial thread killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 05:35 PM   #1584
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Serial thread killer wrote: View Post
And love Scotty's little green friend.
I don't know why exactly, but one of my favorite moments is that shot at the very end, up-angled at Scotty to frame him in that heroic way as he says "Dilithium chambers at MAX-imum, Captain!" - and then he does that take on Neener.

Also, Pegg's "you can eat, like, a bean" speech earlier.
Old May 12 2009, 05:38 PM   #1585
Jax
Admiral

Just seen it and dam that is what STAR TREK needs to be in the 21st century and a fantastic start for the movie with that epic battle scene it kick it all off. I loved it the energy, pace, feel and sound of the mvie was just breathtaking, it was STAR TREK and something different all at once. I took 3 non TREK fans with me and they all liked it, one who is a massive Star Wars fan (hardest to please), two others also a big Star Wars fans to a lesser extent and seem to enjoy it the most out of the 3. One friend even said this is how a prequel should be and all said they would see sequels. This TREK movie does not need to create new fans for Trek as a whole but Movie TREK fans and it will succeed in that which will help the future sequels.

I was not brought up in the 60's, infact I was born in 1987 on May 11th so I don't have TOS in my childhood so my vision on this movie is not swayed like some. I was born the same year STAR TREK was reborned on TV with The Next Generation and that was my TOS and from then on I have seen every episode of every TREK from 1987 onwards and could never really turn back to TOS bar a few episodes though I did enjoy 5 of the 6 TOS cast movies and before this had (6 & 2 as my favourite movies). Today only 24 hours after my 22nd birthday I was lucky enough to be witness the rebirth of STAR TREK once again.

Thank You J.J Abrams and everone else who worked on the movie.

A GRADE (Excellent).
Old May 12 2009, 05:40 PM   #1586
The Great Meech
Vice Admiral

lawman wrote: View Post
The Great Meech wrote: View Post
Yes, there were problems--Urban's McCoy is a little too similar to DeForest Kelley's...
That struck you as a problem? I thought it was one of the best things about the movie.
Urban crossed the line between acting and imitation--he didn't seem to be playing Bones as much as he seemed to be imagining how DeForest Kelley would have said the same lines. I didn't find this to be a big problem--there are far, far worse things in film than to see someone channel a classic character--but I found it distracting.
Old May 12 2009, 05:43 PM   #1587
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Urban crossed the line between acting and imitation...
I thought it was a close call, yeah, but I thought he did a good job. He won me over with his delivery of "I don't know, but I like 'im."
Old May 12 2009, 05:52 PM   #1588
Noname Given
Vice Admiral

Excellent

(And I'm an old time fan who saw season 3 of TOS first run on NBC and has been watching Star Trek ever since).

The filme was definitely a good change of pace from previous outing and was a nice breath of 'freash air' (imo). One of the things I really enjoyed about this film was that the plot points weren't just perfectly laid out and explained by lame techno-bable dialog like we probably would have gotten had Berman still been in charge.

I remained 100% spoiler free. So, when the Romulan ship first appears I was wondering "Okay, is this some Romulan military plot, or what?" It's not until Kirk finds Spock on Delta Vega that I got the backstory; which was presented in a quick, entyertaining way; and sorry, after hearing what happened - I saw no problem with Nero's and his crew's motivations (some folks have stated they made no sense) as the loss of their families and their world; and being thrown 154 years in the past; sent them ALL over the edege; and now, stuck in the past, they want the Vulcan who failed in his promise to suffer as they have; and further, to (in their eyes) help protect and preserve the Romulan Empire that exists where they are now.

Do I have some quibbles with the film? You bet; but no more than I have with Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan (which was ALSO an entertaining Star Trek film).

What are these quibbles:

1) 'Delta Vega (at least in te original timeline) was the planet a mere light days from the edge of the galaxy where Kirk hoped to maroon Gary Mitchell. THAT planet give Spock a clear, unobstructed view of Vulcan?! (As for Scotty being there; hey it had a Lithium cracking station in the original timeline - so it seems to still have it in this one; no harm no foul).

2) Montgomery Scott created a 'Transwap Beaming Formula'; that allows people to be beamed across the Galaxy in the 23rd century - and it works; yet we NEVER saw it used in the 24th?!

3) At the end of the film, 'Spock Prime' seems a bit too accepting of this alternate timeline. Is he getting senile; as the Spock I know would be working on a way to fix this and restore/return to his own time (and with Vulcan destroyed in this alternate timeline; I'd think he'd have ample motivation to try SOMETHING).

Still a very enjoyable film; and I do hope they continue with another wholly original story; and DON'T fall into a trap of trying to re-make a TOS episode. If there was one large issue with Berman; it was that he tried to write lackluster Star Trek TV episodes and pass them off as feature films.
Noname Given is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 05:54 PM   #1589
Gertch
Admiral

Urban crossed the line between acting and imitation...
I thought it was a close call, yeah, but I thought he did a good job. He won me over with his delivery of "I don't know, but I like 'im."
I agree!

And I just convinced some coworkers to go see it at imax later this week. For some it will be their 3rd time seeing the movie.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 05:54 PM   #1590
tauzo
Lieutenant

Urban crossed the line between acting and imitation--he didn't seem to be playing Bones as much as he seemed to be imagining how DeForest Kelley would have said the same lines. I didn't find this to be a big problem--there are far, far worse things in film than to see someone channel a classic character--but I found it distracting.
There were a couple lines that peeved me a little, that seemed imitative ... but I felt that he wasn't actually given enough material to really hit stride. I think if they give him a little more room the character will maybe get more natural. I liked the fact that when he was on screen, he was really and truly Bones. I love Quinto as Spock, but I kept on seeing Quinto.
tauzo is offline   Reply With Quote