RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,083
Posts: 5,398,265
Members: 24,735
Currently online: 608
Newest member: extremedalek

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Retro Watches
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

New DS9 eBook To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12 2009, 02:30 PM   #1546
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
warrior34 wrote:
The movie isn't chapter 11 of an ongoing story; it's chapter 1 of a new story, and that's probably a good thing.

Unfortunately, the story isn't particularly good thus far.
(emphasis mine)

You've pretty much summed up exactly how I feel in those two sentences. Excited for the future, despite being unimpressed with the present.
Should we be looking to Transformers 2 for indications of where Star Trek 2 might go?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:31 PM   #1547
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

"Star Trek 2: THINGS FLY INTO BUILDINGS QUITE A LOT

A MICHAEL BAY FILLAM"

Should we be looking to Transformers 2 for indications of where Star Trek 2 might go?
I dunno, I guess Abrams might feature some fucked masonry.

You know what, screw everyone on the internet. I fucking loved Transformers!
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:35 PM   #1548
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
"Star Trek 2: THINGS FLY INTO BUILDINGS QUITE A LOT

A MICHAEL BAY FILLAM"

Should we be looking to Transformers 2 for indications of where Star Trek 2 might go?
I dunno, I guess Abrams might feature some fucked masonry.

You know what, screw everyone on the internet. I fucking loved Transformers!
I really enjoyed Transformers too, I was just saying it is half the writing team responsible for both Transformers 1 and 2, as well as Star Trek 1 and 2.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:37 PM   #1549
Jim Steele
Vice Admiral
 
Jim Steele's Avatar
 
Location: Croydon
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Screw you the most Bob.

You know why.

I really enjoyed Transformers too, I was just saying it is half the writing team responsible for both Transformers 1 and 2, as well as Star Trek 1 and 2.
Ah.

I didn't know that. That explains... a lot. Transplanting an old 80s cartoon into an excuse for Michael Bay to blow shit up is a piece of piss compared to writing a compelling Star Trek flick.

Get tae fuck, as Scotty (nearly) said.
__________________
Ghost of TrekBBS past.
Jim Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:40 PM   #1550
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jim Steele wrote: View Post
Screw you the most Bob.

You know why.
It's because I said I found ZR sexy isn't it? Don't worry Jim, he means nothing to me.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:06 PM   #1551
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Nimthim wrote: View Post
Just catching up on all the discussion from last night.............

Why do some insist on not seeing the real story in this movie - the real philosophical thrust is the coming-of-age journey. These characters are digging down to their toes looking for who they are and what they want to become. Each situation is helping at least one of this pretty much untested group define another part of who they are. Along the way they also discover that they like the people around them - these will be their truest, closest friends in life.
Trying to insist that this is not Star Trek, or is really bad Trek, because you can't see some huge overlying morality tale beyond that, is actually giving more credit to some of what before rather than just accepting this movie on its own terms. And they are good terms, and a good origin story.
And I really don't understand comparing this movie to ID4 or Armegeddon. This movie is more like compressing Ep.1-3 of Star Wars into one movie, and Star Trek is far superior to that.
Maybe I'll find some time to also go on a rant about Nero - I think he is very credible villain.
yep, it's a great, rollicking, joyous bildungsroman of a movie. the fact that so many Trekkies have a problem with it is very, very telling.

we need to let go. seriously. Trek is now out there. thataway. it's out of our hands. let it go, people.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:10 PM   #1552
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
Nimthim wrote: View Post
Just catching up on all the discussion from last night.............

Why do some insist on not seeing the real story in this movie - the real philosophical thrust is the coming-of-age journey. These characters are digging down to their toes looking for who they are and what they want to become. Each situation is helping at least one of this pretty much untested group define another part of who they are. Along the way they also discover that they like the people around them - these will be their truest, closest friends in life.
Trying to insist that this is not Star Trek, or is really bad Trek, because you can't see some huge overlying morality tale beyond that, is actually giving more credit to some of what before rather than just accepting this movie on its own terms. And they are good terms, and a good origin story.
And I really don't understand comparing this movie to ID4 or Armegeddon. This movie is more like compressing Ep.1-3 of Star Wars into one movie, and Star Trek is far superior to that.
Maybe I'll find some time to also go on a rant about Nero - I think he is very credible villain.
yep, it's a great, rollicking, joyous bildungsroman of a movie. the fact that so many Trekkies have a problem with it is very, very telling.

we need to let go. seriously. Trek is now out there. thataway. it's out of our hands. let it go, people.
If we let it go, and it comes back to us then it was meant to be. If it doesn't it wasn't right in the first place... Is that what you're trying to say?
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:13 PM   #1553
lawman
Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

An interesting little debate has popped up late in the thread! Let's consolidate...

indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
^simple. it's Trek.
But that has no rational basis
of course it does.

Trek brings with it 40 years of philosophical (granted, pseudo-arty) depth. neither ID4, nor Armageddon do that.

Trek is Trek. by itself, it promises something more than wham bam thank you ma'am. neither of those movies do that.

what dkehler wants to know is what makes Trek better than those movies. nothing makes it better. everything makes it better to US.
indranee wrote: View Post
you and I are here, aren't we? not on some board for ID4 or Armageddon? I know I'm here. been here a while now.

seriously, are you that dense that you don't get what I am (by now) hollerin' atcha?

do I need to get a megaphone?
Indranee, what I hear you hollerin' here is that you're not even trying to be objective. You have a soft spot for it because it's labeled "Star Trek," and are therefore willing to credit the film with the attributes of the best of past Trek even when it doesn't actually demonstrate them. You're admitting to a double-standard.

Of course, it's probably safe to say all of us posting here have a soft spot for Trek. That's what got me into the theater. But that's as much of a benefit of the doubt as I was willing to extend. After that, the movie had to prove itself on its own merits... just like any past movie (or episode, or series) has had to do. More so, in fact, since it took such pains to set itself apart from any Trek that has gone before.

And without the benefit of any holdover affection for past versions of these characters and concepts, taken on its own and assessed critically, it just doesn't hold up.

In all fairness, though, I will admit that some of us, myself included, may have been not extra generous but instead extra critical precisely because it was Trek, and we can't completely avoid comparing it to affectionate memories of what had come before. ID4 and Armageddon are merely bad (but fun!) movies that stand on their own. This, however, is a bad movie that's also bad Star Trek. It's hard to avoid a greater sense of disappointment there.

indranee wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
Star Trek the series does everything you suggested. Star Trek this latest movie does not and that is the problem that many of us have with it.
oh, so you're telling me Man Trap did the same thing as Amok Time? that Spock's Brain did the same thing as COTEOF? that ATCSL did the same thing as Balance of Terror?
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
Trek as a whole brings the philosophical depth, but not the movie. That is what I am referring to. Your love of this movie has an irrational basis in the sense that you are not viewing it in an objective way that fits into the spirit you stated (which was spot-on, btw), but in which the good foundation of Trek excuses the failings of the movie. That is not rational and is a lapse in logic.

Premise: John is a good man. He is good because he is caring and insightful. I like John because he is caring and insightful

John becomes abusive and ignorant

Conclusion: I like John because John is a good man?

See the lapse? The predicate good is contingent upon the predicates caring and insightful. Without the predicates caring and insightful we loose good, and the conclusion must be you DO NOT like John because he is NOT a good man. To attribute characteristics that an object was previously endowed with which it does not currently possess is illogical.
Dkehler and Feofilakt, I'm with you here (notwithstanding whatever credentials Ovation may possess, BTW). It seems clear to me that people are attributing to this film positive qualities that they associate with Trek in general, despite little evidence of those qualities in this film itself. Your analogy here, Feo, is particularly apt.

And no, it's not logical. But sadly, one of the (few) thematic messages in this film (coming from Spock, yet!) seems to be "go with what feels good, not what makes logical sense." That seems to me to undermine a lot of what Trek at its best always stood for... but it's an attitude a lot of fans have cheerfully adopted about this movie.

Indranee, I think what we're "trying to tell you" here is that "Spock's Brain" and other low points were not emblematic of the positive qualities we associate with Trek, and neither is this film. That kind of material is not what built the fan base. There were bad episodes; this is a bad movie. It's perfectly fair to say so.

indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
oh okay. I'm eating, watching MSNBC/TNG/the WH Congressional stuff/talking on the phone and posting. figures I got confused.

yes, Trek is philosophical. yes, we agree.

my point is that you can't hold this movie to the standards of the best Trek eps just as you cannot hold the worst trek eps responsible for bringing down the overall quality of Trek. the fact that Trek brings a certain aura of undeniable depth cannot stipulate that ALL Trek be that way. just as Spock's Brain was part of All-Trek (and a guilty pleasure in itself, at least for me), so is this movie.

the best part of this movie is the fact that it promises newer Trek of quality that we BOTH want. and, hopefully, now that this movie has been deemed a general success, we shall get that which we both want.
Ok, I understand now.

whew.

Yeah, I do hope the next Trek movie has some depth to it, but I remain pessimistic. JJ Abrams' track record is not stellar in this regard, and we must all remain aware that he is neither an intellectual or an artist. He is, above all else, a businessman and possesses a certain cunning as a result, but the things he produces/directs/writes will always be surfacey and appeal to the lowest common denominator. I have less respect for this guy than I do blokes like Spielburg, who at least put some soul into their films.

Let's just hope the next movie is appealing visually -and- has more substance
I'm not sure you do get my point.

my point is that you cannot judge THIS movie via Trek that has gone before. it's a new incarnation and deserves to be judged on its own merits. the fact is that JJ -- artist or not -- has infused this particular incarnation of Trek with a verve and style that begs to be recognized (and much to my delight -- it has, at that). whether that fits with these "times" just as TOS fit with ITS times is possibly the main determinant in its longevity...

my point is all of you who are judging this movie based on your idea of what Trek should or should not be should take a deep breath and contemplate each and every one of those 79 episodes and the movies. Trek is by no means the yardstick of excellence.

but it is, to most of us, precious. let's not ignore that. none of are objective where Trek is concerned.
I don't see this movie promising future Trek of better quality. I agree that Abrams is about business first and foremost (never mind Paramount!), and at any rate his creative sensibilities were never a good match for Trek from the outset, by his own admission. What I foresee is more lowest-common-denominator stuff like this, with the "Star Trek" name on it but no "Star Trek" spirit in it.

(And I don't really think that's what "fits with the times." If it were, that would be a very depressing statement about our culture.)

Indranee, your statement here at the end seems at odds with where you started out... since your whole point was that you weren't judging this movie strictly on its own merits, because as a Trek fan you were predisposed to view it favorably. I think its critics have been assessing it on its own merits... and that seems to annoy a lot of its fans.

I'd love to be pleasantly surprised by future films, but I don't expect it. For the time being, I expect the only place to find new Trek material of the kind I actually value will be in the novels.

---
As for this...
Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
lawman wrote:
Blue_Trek wrote:
At the end of the movie, you really do want to see the next adventure this particular group will encounter as they go to warp. And that is what makes this movie the best success, you want to see the sequel.
I really don't. Honestly. My enthusiasm for seeing what these writers and director will do next is pretty much nonexistent.
Now that is what separates the fan base, either your living off the past for your fandom, or your looking at the present and the future.

We are the Neo-Trek fans, Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
Do you really want to be analogizing yourself to the Borg, and this film's critics to free-thinking human beings?... That doesn't exactly paint an appealing picture of the "future" you want.

BTW...
DarthPipes wrote: View Post
When it comes to Kirk's promotion, I say just embrace the mythos. Kirk's quick rise is the stuff of legend.
Not this quick. He always had several years of history ascending through the ranks. Leapfrogging all of that isn't the legend, it's a retcon. (IMHO a very implausible one.)
__________________
Blogging on pop culture and politics at SmartRemarks
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:14 PM   #1554
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Nimthim wrote: View Post
Just catching up on all the discussion from last night.............

Why do some insist on not seeing the real story in this movie - the real philosophical thrust is the coming-of-age journey. These characters are digging down to their toes looking for who they are and what they want to become. Each situation is helping at least one of this pretty much untested group define another part of who they are. Along the way they also discover that they like the people around them - these will be their truest, closest friends in life.
Trying to insist that this is not Star Trek, or is really bad Trek, because you can't see some huge overlying morality tale beyond that, is actually giving more credit to some of what before rather than just accepting this movie on its own terms. And they are good terms, and a good origin story.
And I really don't understand comparing this movie to ID4 or Armegeddon. This movie is more like compressing Ep.1-3 of Star Wars into one movie, and Star Trek is far superior to that.
Maybe I'll find some time to also go on a rant about Nero - I think he is very credible villain.
yep, it's a great, rollicking, joyous bildungsroman of a movie. the fact that so many Trekkies have a problem with it is very, very telling.

we need to let go. seriously. Trek is now out there. thataway. it's out of our hands. let it go, people.
If we let it go, and it comes back to us then it was meant to be. If it doesn't it wasn't right in the first place... Is that what you're trying to say?
cute

I'm saying enjoy the ride...
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:16 PM   #1555
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

lawman, I'm saying I had a soft spot for TOS, I've a soft spot for nuTrek.

I'm saying this is only the beginning, just as Man Trap was. not great, but full of promise.

I'm saying, stop overthinking it and enjoy the ride.

let go of the hate, it'll only eat you up and spit you out.

now, back to work.

ps. I disagree with you about JJ, but that's a whole other thread. I know... why don't you start one? we'll see how that goes.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:17 PM   #1556
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
If we let it go, and it comes back to us then it was meant to be. If it doesn't it wasn't right in the first place... Is that what you're trying to say?
There's that, and there's the fact that you can't actually hold onto it by gripping harder.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:21 PM   #1557
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid
 
Bob The Skutter's Avatar
 
Location: Bob The Skutter
View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Dennis wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
If we let it go, and it comes back to us then it was meant to be. If it doesn't it wasn't right in the first place... Is that what you're trying to say?
There's that, and there's the fact that you can't actually hold onto it by gripping harder.
Speak for yourself. My grip is fantastic.
__________________
And their call for war on poverty is a smokescreen we don't need, cos the only war worth fighting for is a war on their pure greed. : Acid Country - Paul Heaton
Bob The Skutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:25 PM   #1558
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
If we let it go, and it comes back to us then it was meant to be. If it doesn't it wasn't right in the first place... Is that what you're trying to say?
There's that, and there's the fact that you can't actually hold onto it by gripping harder.
Speak for yourself. My grip is fantastic.
Keep believing that.

Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:29 PM   #1559
lawman
Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
I'm saying, stop overthinking it and enjoy the ride.
No hate for the movie, just disappointment.

But this particular bit of advice? I get that a lot, and I do hate it.

There's a newspaper cartoon my girlfriend clipped out a few years back and pinned to our bulletin board. A couple's sitting in a movie theater, and the screen displays a big message: "Caution: Applying logic and plausibility to summer movies will only annoy you and those around you. Just let it go." The woman says to the man, "I think it's their way of telling you to shut up, dear."

It's a cute cartoon, but I can't do that. Whether or not anyone finds it annoying, or considers it "overthinking," logic and plausibility are standards I bring to pretty much any entertainment I approach. There's room for flexibility depending on the genre and style, of course (e.g., comedies play by different rules), but I can't set critical standards aside completely.

And one of the things I always loved about Star Trek—not always, but at its best—was that it didn't ask me to. It was a thinking person's show.
__________________
Blogging on pop culture and politics at SmartRemarks
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:32 PM   #1560
Borgminister
Moderator
 
Location: California
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

lawman wrote: View Post
It was a thinking person's show.
Were the Trek movies "thinking person's show"s?

Just curious on your take. I think all of them were action adventures, not overly heavy on message.

The television show is a different animal, and even that mix was uneven, if you take off your rose-colored glasses.
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.