RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,200
Posts: 5,404,354
Members: 24,758
Currently online: 547
Newest member: ashlynnbrooke80

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Time’s Orphan
By: Michelle on Aug 30

September-October Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Lee Passes
By: T'Bonz on Aug 29

Trek Merchandise Sale
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek #39 Villain Revealed
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Trek Big Bang Figures
By: T'Bonz on Aug 28

Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12 2009, 02:24 AM   #1501
Feofilakt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Feofilakt's Avatar
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
jamestyler wrote: View Post

I'm curious... does this cover more than the person you're quoting? It just seems to be quite the attempt to be patronising, with some lazy writing causing some major plot holes.

But the performance was spot on.
Reason for favoring Trek over other popcorn action movies stated by Indranee: Trek, and by extension, Abrams Trek has a philosophical core those movies do not possess
My contention: Trek possesses said qualities, but the new movie does not. To attribute previous qualities to a present form which lacks them is a lapse in logic.
that's where you're wrong. just because YOU don't see said quality does not mean I do not either (or that doesn't exist). and as I pointed out, that's exactly your (in the plural, not just YOU) problem: lack of objectivity when it comes to THIS movie.

oh, and, I could've gotten angry at your said patronizing 'tude, dude, but I've been on this board too damned long.
I believe the qualities of the movie are debatable, that was the point of my statement. In time, we should debate the qualities of the movie in earnest, but perhaps not yet. Emotions are running somewhat high at the moment...
Feofilakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:24 AM   #1502
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post

Trek as a whole brings the philosophical depth, but not the movie. That is what I am referring to. Your love of this movie has an irrational basis in the sense that you are not viewing it in an objective way that fits into the spirit you stated (which was spot-on, btw), but in which the good foundation of Trek excuses the failings of the movie. That is not rational and is a lapse in logic.

Premise: John is a good man. He is good because he is caring and insightful. I like John because he is caring and insightful

John becomes abusive and ignorant

Conclusion: I like John because John is a good man?

See the lapse? The predicate good is contingent upon the predicates caring and insightful. Without the predicates caring and insightful we loose good, and the conclusion must be you DO NOT like John because he is NOT a good man. To attribute characteristics that an object was previously endowed with which it does not currently possess is illogical.

I think the core of the argument is that the predicates of the subject have changed in the perception of an unknown percentage of the community and to like an object for traits previously possessed is a lapse of logic.
of course I am not objective! that's my freakin' point!

I submit, though, that you aren't, either.
Ah, what human is truly objective? We only work with what we are given, and the limitations of perception and thought are many. I do wish I could lose my desire to be as objective as humanly possible, however, it would make some aspects of life somewhat less bitter. But I digress...

You should let the good feeling this movie brings you sit for a while and really investigate it, however. All good movies are only good movies when given some degree of scrutiny.
sure, that last point is definitely a good suggestion.

will do and report back... in ten years and 11 movies.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:26 AM   #1503
Rebma Bowmani
Ensign
 
Location: Dublin,CA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
Originally Posted by Blue_Trek
At the end of the movie, you really do want to see the next adventure this particular group will encounter as they go to warp. And that is what makes this movie the best success, you want to see the sequel.
I really don't. Honestly. My enthusiasm for seeing what these writers and director will do next is pretty much nonexistent.
Now that is what separates the fan base, either your living off the past for your fandom, or your looking at the present and the future.

We are the Neo-Trek fans, Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated
Neo Trek fans ... I love it ... and will embrace it!
Rebma Bowmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:26 AM   #1504
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I saw the movie a second time in IMAX.

- Loved the intro even more. That part of the movie really captured the essense of TOS the way the Kelvin encounterd something strange out in deep space. THAT's pure Star Trek right there.

- I loved how they muted all the sound as the Kelvin was about to hit the Narada and played a musical piece over it. It created a very nice effect.

- I finally heard McCoy call out to Nurse Chapel.

- I found myself warming up to Bruce Greenwood's Captain Pike a lot more. Loved seeing him in that Motion Picture-style admiral's uniform too.

- I got a lot of other minor details I missed the first time.

- I started to entertain the possibility that the Vulcan we know wasn't the one that was destroyed in this movie and that the one we've always seen was actually the new planet they settled on. That idea kinda went away though.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:26 AM   #1505
dkehler
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

oh, so you're telling me Man Trap did the same thing as Amok Time? that Spock's Brain did the same thing as COTEOF? that ATCSL did the same thing as Balance of Terror?
No, that is not what I'm telling you. Please try again.
no, I think YOU need to try. again.

enlighten me.

please.

how is what I stated different from what you implied in your post, exactly?
Star Trek, this latest movie, has little/none of the things that you listed as reasons why you like Star Trek. Yet you seem to be judging the new movie much higher than you would have otherwise simply because it has the name Star Trek on it.

That does not mean that I think that everything that ever made Star Trek good is in every Star Trek episode or movie.
__________________
David
dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:27 AM   #1506
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post

Reason for favoring Trek over other popcorn action movies stated by Indranee: Trek, and by extension, Abrams Trek has a philosophical core those movies do not possess
My contention: Trek possesses said qualities, but the new movie does not. To attribute previous qualities to a present form which lacks them is a lapse in logic.
that's where you're wrong. just because YOU don't see said quality does not mean I do not either (or that doesn't exist). and as I pointed out, that's exactly your (in the plural, not just YOU) problem: lack of objectivity when it comes to THIS movie.

oh, and, I could've gotten angry at your said patronizing 'tude, dude, but I've been on this board too damned long.
I believe the qualities of the movie are debatable, that was the point of my statement. In time, we should debate the qualities of the movie in earnest, but perhaps not yet. Emotions are running somewhat high at the moment...
uhh, the quality of those 79 episodes is rather debatable, as well, taken in concert.

y'know, art is rather subjective. perhaps you will remember that, hmm?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:29 AM   #1507
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
No, that is not what I'm telling you. Please try again.
no, I think YOU need to try. again.

enlighten me.

please.

how is what I stated different from what you implied in your post, exactly?
Star Trek, this latest movie, has little/none of the things that you listed as reasons why you like Star Trek. Yet you seem to be judging the new movie much higher than you would have otherwise simply because it has the name Star Trek on it.

That does not mean that I think that everything that ever made Star Trek good is in every Star Trek episode or movie.
exactly. I judge/rate TOS much higher (than it deserves) specifically because of those qualities as well. no reason why nuTrek does not deserve the same from me.

it's no Dr. Zhivago. then again, TOS is no Twilight Zone.

IMO.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:30 AM   #1508
Feofilakt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Feofilakt's Avatar
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

that's where you're wrong. just because YOU don't see said quality does not mean I do not either (or that doesn't exist). and as I pointed out, that's exactly your (in the plural, not just YOU) problem: lack of objectivity when it comes to THIS movie.

oh, and, I could've gotten angry at your said patronizing 'tude, dude, but I've been on this board too damned long.
I believe the qualities of the movie are debatable, that was the point of my statement. In time, we should debate the qualities of the movie in earnest, but perhaps not yet. Emotions are running somewhat high at the moment...
uhh, the quality of those 79 episodes is rather debatable, as well, taken in concert.

y'know, art is rather subjective. perhaps you will remember that, hmm?
Qualities, not quality. Attributes, not good/bad.

Feofilakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:32 AM   #1509
Rebma Bowmani
Ensign
 
Location: Dublin,CA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
I saw the movie a second time in IMAX.

- Loved the intro even more. That part of the movie really captured the essense of TOS the way the Kelvin encounterd something strange out in deep space. THAT's pure Star Trek right there.

- I loved how they muted all the sound as the Kelvin was about to hit the Narada and played a musical piece over it. It created a very nice effect.

- I finally heard McCoy call out to Nurse Chapel.

- I found myself warming up to Bruce Greenwood's Captain Pike a lot more. Loved seeing him in that Motion Picture-style admiral's uniform too.

- I got a lot of other minor details I missed the firs ttime.
I finally was able to see in IMAX today as well. I liked it even more than the first two times!
Rebma Bowmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:32 AM   #1510
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post

I believe the qualities of the movie are debatable, that was the point of my statement. In time, we should debate the qualities of the movie in earnest, but perhaps not yet. Emotions are running somewhat high at the moment...
uhh, the quality of those 79 episodes is rather debatable, as well, taken in concert.

y'know, art is rather subjective. perhaps you will remember that, hmm?
Qualities, not quality. Attributes, not good/bad.

huh?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:33 AM   #1511
Agent Richard07
Admiral
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

By the way, for those of you complaining about this thread being 70+ pages, you can go to your control panel and change your thread settings to display more posts per page. I only see 38 pages as of this posting.
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:36 AM   #1512
Feofilakt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Feofilakt's Avatar
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

uhh, the quality of those 79 episodes is rather debatable, as well, taken in concert.

y'know, art is rather subjective. perhaps you will remember that, hmm?
Qualities, not quality. Attributes, not good/bad.

huh?
We are going in circles.

You stated the qualities (read, attributes) of the original series was a more philosophical nature, yes?

I agreed. Trek has a philosophical tone to it, it possesses that attribute.

How is the attribute "Trek has a philosophical tone" now in debate when taken into concert? I am not following.
Feofilakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:38 AM   #1513
Rebma Bowmani
Ensign
 
Location: Dublin,CA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I believe that some people here have just been waiting to hate the new movie no matter what... I understand it is hard to watch new actors play such iconic characters... hugs to all of you who prefer to live in the past... I understand.
Rebma Bowmani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:01 AM   #1514
trampledamage
Clone
 
trampledamage's Avatar
 
Location: hitching a ride to Erebor
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
By the way, for those of you complaining about this thread being 70+ pages, you can go to your control panel and change your thread settings to display more posts per page. I only see 38 pages as of this posting.
Thanks for the tip! But it's not the 72 pages really, it's the 1503 posts contained within
__________________
Space is disease and danger wrapped in darkness and silence - Dr. McCoy

And he says that like it's a bad thing...
trampledamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 03:03 AM   #1515
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: United States
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

trampledamage wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
By the way, for those of you complaining about this thread being 70+ pages, you can go to your control panel and change your thread settings to display more posts per page. I only see 38 pages as of this posting.
Thanks for the tip! But it's not the 72 pages really, it's the 1503 posts contained within
Here's an easy tip:

Hit CTRL+F on your keyboard and type in the page search field "abomination" and "amazing". Then just click through and as it highlights each post, don't read it, just keep clicking through. Only stop when it jumps a post or two, because then someone is saying something different. You'll cut your required reading by about 1300.

J.
__________________
I don't like getting into arguments with people for two basic reasons:
1) I don't stay angry very long.
2) I'm usually quick to apologize if I feel I was wrong.
3) I never know when to quit.
4)
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:26 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.