RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,371
Posts: 5,446,634
Members: 24,971
Currently online: 610
Newest member: JoeCabby

TrekToday headlines

Crowded Coop Trek-Themed Bags and Wallets
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Original Series Hoodies
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Star Trek-Planet Of The Apes Comic Preview
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

November-December 2014 Trek Conventions And Appearances
By: T'Bonz on Oct 31

Kruge Bobble Head
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Two Trek Actors In Green Room
By: T'Bonz on Oct 30

Trek UglyDolls First Look
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

New Star Trek Select Action Figure
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

Trek Actors In Elsa & Fred
By: T'Bonz on Oct 29

The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Khan in the sequel?
YES 16 13.91%
NO 99 86.09%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12 2009, 02:05 AM   #1
srombomb
Lieutenant
 
A Khan Sequel ?

I think some people are afraid to retread similar characters, but the producers of the Dark Knight didn't shy away from bringing the Joker character back as a lead villain, and I think the writers of Trek would be doing themselves a disservice to not bring back and update such a multi-layered character in Trek lore.

Only this time, instead of being hampered by a 12 million dollar budget like Harve Bennett and co. was, they will have ample money to spend to create locations and situations that we never got to see in the original Wrath of Kahn. Namely, a proper fight scene between Kirk and Kahn. I always thought that was just ridiculous the Shat and Ricardo Montalban never got screen time together in WOK. Your telling me they couldn't have at least had the two fight inside a corridor? Anyway, the point is with a bigtime budget, you could truly make Kahn and his followers that much more menacing. I also think another element needs to be in play. Double the danger. Maybe Kahn aligns himself with the Klingons? Maybe Kahn steals the Enterprise altogether? So many possibilities.

But seriously, people would come to the theatre in droves to see a sequel with Kahn as a headliner. Even those who are saying right now they don't like the idea of bringing him back, would indeed be first in line.

Oddly enough, a week ago, I told my brother the only actor I could see even holding a candle to Ricardo Montalbans performance would be Javier Bardem. Glad to see the writers see it the same way. He has the menacing look one would need to pull it off, as well as the acting chops. Bardem could play Kahn more like what Montalban did in Space Seed, very serious with less focus on one liners.

Anyone agree Kahn should be in a sequel?
srombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:07 AM   #2
Dead Possum
An Ex-Awesome Possum
 
Dead Possum's Avatar
 
Location: Your Nightmares
View Dead Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Dead Possum Send a message via AIM to Dead Possum
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I want to see him at some point.
__________________
"We're not rotting, we're fermenting!"
Dead Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:13 AM   #3
srombomb
Lieutenant
 
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

And that's my point, who wouldn't wanna see Kahn again on the big screen? The key would be making him evil enough so that the audience doesn't lose sight of the characters their supposed to love: Kirk and co.

I do think they should tighten up the next movie and make it much more serious, much more Dark Knight in the sense the characters truly look like they don't know what there dealing with if Kahn is to be the lead antagonist.

Maybe Kahn and his followers have on board something like a disease that could wipe out everything in existence from their time period. There are so many possibilities in terms of what you could make Kahn and co. all about this time out.
srombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:15 AM   #4
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I'm all for it. Especially if Wilmer Valderama plays him.
"We have some questions--"
"I grow fatigued."
"But Khan--"
"I said good day!"
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I wouldn't mind seeing "Kahn" at all--it would be neat to explore an entirely new villain--as long as they stay away from "Khan", he's old hat. (sorry, couldn't resist).

To be honest, I'd put that way down on my list of things to do with sequels. I am happy to shed "canon" precisely because it opens up NEW possibilities. I don't want to rehash old ones.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:22 AM   #6
Aragorn
Admiral
 
Aragorn's Avatar
 
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

What about dual villains -- one old, one new? Khan can be the minor bad guy who turns out to be the bigger problem at the end.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:23 AM   #7
jamestyler
Commodore
 
jamestyler's Avatar
 
Location: jamestyler
View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Ovation wrote: View Post
To be honest, I'd put that way down on my list of things to do with sequels. I am happy to shed "canon" precisely because it opens up NEW possibilities. I don't want to rehash old ones.
Exactly how I feel. Besides, the Khan everyone remembers is a revenge film. Space Seed v2.0 wouldn't be as intriguing on the big screen, nor would it make a good starting point unless they really went to Dark Knight levels of writing. Which wouldn't work.
__________________
+ The Picard Maneuver | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.
jamestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:24 AM   #8
T'Paul
Commander
 
Location: Parents' basement
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I think that the filmmakers are pretending that Star Trek is in the same universe we live in, and it would be tough to explain why we haven't been through the Eugenics Wars.
T'Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:26 AM   #9
srombomb
Lieutenant
 
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Yeh I agree, you need more than just Kahn. A third element has to be in play to keep it from seeming like a total remake of Wrath of Kahn.

I say have Kahn be the reason an interstellar war gets set off. And maybe reveal Kahn not until the midway point of the movie as being the cause.
srombomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:30 AM   #10
Garibaldi O'brien
Rear Admiral
 
Garibaldi O'brien's Avatar
 
Location: FL, USA
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I'm all for it. Especially if Wilmer Valderama plays him.
"We have some questions--"
"I grow fatigued."
"But Khan--"
"I said good day!"
Wilmer Valderama!

Oh that's not a Khan choice to me. I like the guy, but watching Fez play Khan would take a lot more performance power than I think he has.

Now Antonio Bandares or John Leguizamo maybe...
Garibaldi O'brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:31 AM   #11
Captain_Rogers
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I disagree.

I want to see something completely different and new, I don't want retreads of religious canon.

I would much prefer to see something where going in I have absolutely no clue about anyone. I want it all to be a surprise and new.

A new alien species maybe, anything but that which has already been.
Captain_Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:33 AM   #12
T'Paul
Commander
 
Location: Parents' basement
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Captain_Rogers wrote: View Post
I disagree.

I want to see something completely different and new, I don't want retreads of religious canon.

I would much prefer to see something where going in I have absolutely no clue about anyone. I want it all to be a surprise and new.

A new alien species maybe, anything but that which has already been.
How could a new alien species show up without time travel. The area of space within the Federation's range in the movie time period has already been well explored by the TNG era.
T'Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:34 AM   #13
Garibaldi O'brien
Rear Admiral
 
Garibaldi O'brien's Avatar
 
Location: FL, USA
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

The movie I want next is an "Arena" movie. It's one of the episodes that I would love to see get a JJ movie treatment. Then, some sort of Space Ameoba / Doomsday Machine for the third film. Although, as I type it I can't help but think that Nero's red-matter mining rig is already a very pointy Doomday machine without the gaping maw fatal flaw...
Garibaldi O'brien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:36 AM   #14
Brutal Strudel
Rear Admiral
 
Brutal Strudel's Avatar
 
Location: Here, frozen between time and place, not even the brightest lights escape...
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

Garibaldi O'brien wrote: View Post
Brutal Strudel wrote: View Post
I'm all for it. Especially if Wilmer Valderama plays him.
"We have some questions--"
"I grow fatigued."
"But Khan--"
"I said good day!"
Wilmer Valderama!

Oh that's not a Khan choice to me. I like the guy, but watching Fez play Khan would take a lot more performance power than I think he has.

Now Antonio Bandares or John Leguizamo maybe...
I was kidding, you know.
__________________
Once every lifetime, we're swallowed by the whale.
Brutal Strudel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:38 AM   #15
T'Paul
Commander
 
Location: Parents' basement
Re: My argument for a Kahn sequel...

I think Richard Simmons would make a great Khan.
T'Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
khan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.