RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,926
Posts: 5,478,729
Members: 25,054
Currently online: 410
Newest member: DRayTrekkie

TrekToday headlines

Trek Shirt And Hoodie
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

A Klingon Christmas Carol’s Last Season
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

Attack Wing Wave 10 Expansion Pack
By: T'Bonz on Nov 27

New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 12 2009, 12:56 AM   #1471
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]
 
J. Allen's Avatar
 
Location: The Countryside
Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.
Why would I? I like ID4 and Armageddon for what they are. I love this Star Trek movie for what it is, and am quite content with it (well, except for the desire to watch it again and again). I don't look down my nose at people for what movies they like. Hell, one of my favorite movies is Star Trek V, and it's lambasted on a regular basis. For me, though, this movie has been excellent, and I am so excited about Star Trek again!

J.
__________________
-----------------------
💗 Visit Brony Kingdom 💗
-----------------------
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 12:59 AM   #1472
dkehler
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

J. Allen wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.
Why would I? I like ID4 and Armageddon for what they are. I love this Star Trek movie for what it is, and am quite content with it (well, except for the desire to watch it again and again). I don't look down my nose at people for what movies they like. Hell, one of my favorite movies is Star Trek V, and it's lambasted on a regular basis. For me, though, this movie has been excellent, and I am so excited about Star Trek again!

J.
Okay, that's one ...
__________________
David
dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:03 AM   #1473
CaptainCanada
Admiral
 
CaptainCanada's Avatar
 
Location: Kingston, Ontario, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Top41 wrote: View Post
The casting was brilliant--the actors didn't ape the old performances, but they inhabited the characters in a way that really did them justice.
Well, I think Urban skates pretty close to this. He was good, mind you, but he could easily have gone wrong there.
__________________
"I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are!"

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:15 AM   #1474
Nimthim
Lieutenant
 
Location: Bradford Co., PA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.
I re-watch both of these movies on occasion - and still enjoy them. And I voted excellent.
Nimthim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:15 AM   #1475
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Top41 wrote: View Post
The casting was brilliant--the actors didn't ape the old performances, but they inhabited the characters in a way that really did them justice.
Well, I think Urban skates pretty close to this. He was good, mind you, but he could easily have gone wrong there.
yeah but Dr. McCoy always bordered a bit on self-parody.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:21 AM   #1476
dkehler
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Nimthim wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
I'll just say that all the people voting excellent and saying this is the best Star Trek film ever, I hope I don't see any of you looking down your noses at Independence Day and Armageddon, as has been quite common around these parts.
I re-watch both of these movies on occasion - and still enjoy them. And I voted excellent.
I'm happy for you. Now, let's hear from the many, many people on this BBS who have dumped on those movies in the past. I want to know what they thought of Star Trek.
__________________
David
dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:24 AM   #1477
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I love nuTrek, but hated Armageddon. ID4 is a guilty pleasure. I watch it furtively, alone, with microwaved popcorn. I even rewind the Brent Spiner death scene multiple times.

that satisfy you?
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:31 AM   #1478
lawman
Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

JoeD80 wrote: View Post
lawman wrote: View Post
So you're saying that you buy that the seven ships sent to Vulcan were the only ships near Earth, and they were all sent away? (I don't recall any dialogue to that effect, and it's risible either way.)
One of the Admirals says it (was it Komack? I don't remember specifically). He says "these are the only ships close enough to investigate" or something similar.

lawman wrote: View Post
And that individual starship captains (even without access to their computers) know codes that can not only get you past the Solar system's defensive sensors (that much I can swallow), but also turn off all Earth's defenses, beyond the possibility of override, including even (e.g.) independently piloted small fighters of the sort that could shoot down the drilling platform? All this poses no problem for you? Really?
Personally, I'm not sure how Starfleet's defense net should work. But it's what the movie was saying. Nero's right up in Captain Pike's face with the Ceti-type creature and says "I want all the codes for the defense net" or something similar. The implication is that he got them, since he's drilling Earth shortly after.
So, IOW, two things that should be serious plot points are dismissed with throwaway lines of dialogue that require viewers to swallow implausible premises... but you don't consider this lazy writing.

C'mon. The cast was talented, the money was there for good visuals... but the story just didn't hold up. It's got more holes than a fishnet. There are any number of Trek novelists—heck, I'd bet there are ordinary posters on these forums—who could dream up a much more coherent, compelling story than this was. (And still hit the key points the studio required by way of a "reboot," if it came to that.)

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
At the end of the movie, you really do want to see the next adventure this particular group will encounter as they go to warp. And that is what makes this movie the best success, you want to see the sequel.
I really don't. Honestly. My enthusiasm for seeing what these writers and director will do next is pretty much nonexistent.

I note a lot of people around here posting things like "well, the next one can be about exploration and thoughtful issues and logical storytelling"... but IMHO they're kidding themselves. A movie makes money like this, the only message Hollywood gets is "make another just like this one." IOW, another style-over-substance extravaganza.

For those that hated it, Star Trek has outgrown you, now. It's sad but true.
How do you figure? I think the general thesis from those who didn't like it is not that it's grown but that it's regressed, into something simpler and less thoughtful than the original.

This level of success equals more movies and a new and larger fan base.

How is that bad?
How is it good, unless the actual movies are? I could care less how much money Trek makes, or how many people watch it; what I'm concerned about is the stories it tells.
__________________
Blogging on pop culture and politics at SmartRemarks
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:31 AM   #1479
dkehler
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
I love nuTrek, but hated Armageddon. ID4 is a guilty pleasure. I watch it furtively, alone, with microwaved popcorn. I even rewind the Brent Spiner death scene multiple times.

that satisfy you?
Yes. So what makes Star Trek better than those other two movies other than featuring characters that we "know" much better? I suggest to you there is little to no difference. And that's too bad.
__________________
David
dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:41 AM   #1480
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

^simple. it's Trek.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:42 AM   #1481
Feofilakt
Lieutenant Commander
 
Feofilakt's Avatar
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

indranee wrote: View Post
^simple. it's Trek.
But that has no rational basis
Feofilakt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:43 AM   #1482
Ovation
Vice Admiral
 
Location: La Belle Province or The Green Mountain State (depends on the day of the week)
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
I love nuTrek, but hated Armageddon. ID4 is a guilty pleasure. I watch it furtively, alone, with microwaved popcorn. I even rewind the Brent Spiner death scene multiple times.

that satisfy you?
Yes. So what makes Star Trek better than those other two movies other than featuring characters that we "know" much better? I suggest to you there is little to no difference. And that's too bad.
The character development in Star Trek is much better than in either of the other two. Star Trek's plot is its weakest element, but that's hardly a new development for Trek movies (not an excuse, merely an observation). I enjoyed ID4 as a summer popcorn movie (much like I enjoyed Star Trek) but I found Star Trek a superior film (though certainly not perfect). As for Armageddon, I did not connect with any of the characters, so, consequently, I did not enjoy it all that much. I'd rewatch ID4 but it's unlikely I'd revisit Armageddon.
Ovation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:46 AM   #1483
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Feofilakt wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
^simple. it's Trek.
But that has no rational basis
of course it does.

Trek brings with it 40 years of philosophical (granted, pseudo-arty) depth. neither ID4, nor Armageddon do that.

Trek is Trek. by itself, it promises something more than wham bam thank you ma'am. neither of those movies do that.

what dkehler wants to know is what makes Trek better than those movies. nothing makes it better. everything makes it better to US.
indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:47 AM   #1484
dkehler
Fleet Captain
 
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Ovation wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post
I love nuTrek, but hated Armageddon. ID4 is a guilty pleasure. I watch it furtively, alone, with microwaved popcorn. I even rewind the Brent Spiner death scene multiple times.

that satisfy you?
Yes. So what makes Star Trek better than those other two movies other than featuring characters that we "know" much better? I suggest to you there is little to no difference. And that's too bad.
The character development in Star Trek is much better than in either of the other two. Star Trek's plot is its weakest element, but that's hardly a new development for Trek movies (not an excuse, merely an observation). I enjoyed ID4 as a summer popcorn movie (much like I enjoyed Star Trek) but I found Star Trek a superior film (though certainly not perfect). As for Armageddon, I did not connect with any of the characters, so, consequently, I did not enjoy it all that much. I'd rewatch ID4 but it's unlikely I'd revisit Armageddon.
I suggest to you that there was not any more character development in Star Trek than the other movies I mentioned. I suggest to you that you only think there was because the many, many hours of development that came before this movie, but don't really count because that was an alternative universe.
__________________
David
dkehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 01:49 AM   #1485
indranee
Vice Admiral
 
indranee's Avatar
 
Location: Warrrrrrrrrshington, DC
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

dkehler wrote: View Post
Ovation wrote: View Post
dkehler wrote: View Post
Yes. So what makes Star Trek better than those other two movies other than featuring characters that we "know" much better? I suggest to you there is little to no difference. And that's too bad.
The character development in Star Trek is much better than in either of the other two. Star Trek's plot is its weakest element, but that's hardly a new development for Trek movies (not an excuse, merely an observation). I enjoyed ID4 as a summer popcorn movie (much like I enjoyed Star Trek) but I found Star Trek a superior film (though certainly not perfect). As for Armageddon, I did not connect with any of the characters, so, consequently, I did not enjoy it all that much. I'd rewatch ID4 but it's unlikely I'd revisit Armageddon.
I suggest to you that there was not any more character development in Star Trek than the other movies I mentioned. I suggest to you that you only think there was because the many, many hours of development that came before this movie, but don't really count because that was an alternative universe.
duh. and that was the point of nuTrek anyway.

congratulations, you finally got it.

indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.