Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Cho: More On Selfie
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old May 11 2009, 06:54 AM   #16
hellsgate
Commodore

Re: Self-Portrait as a Cardassian

Interesting. I'd love to see Setal as a First Officer in the TNG Relaunch era.

She looks like the kind of commander that would work well in an idealistic Kathrine Janeway-meets-Emelia Earhart type fashion. Assigned to a Federation ship, opposite a Starfleet Officer of your choice.

Trying to protect Cardassia from the bluegill parasites from TNG's "Conspiracy" that have decided to try to resurrect their plans against The U.F.P. by stoking bubbling hot-zones of old TMP/Lost Years-era animosities.

They're trying to quietly set-off multiple smaller emotional / psychological / financial strikes from Bajor to the Klingon Empire to the Cardassian Union to the Tholian Assembly and even by manipulating Ferenginar's adjustment period toward gender equality.

The purpose: to keep everyone running / guessing where the next riot or blood oath will decide a sector or planet's fate, until its too little too late to do anything about the bluegill parasites' officially intended death-strike.
hellsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 07:48 AM   #17
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Sounds noble, and I can see where you're trying to make the character more glorious by human standards...but to a Cardassian view (and my own), what she really does is noble in its own right.

Children are Cardassia's future, after all--and those who teach them are entrusted with a HUGE responsibility, and are honored for it.
Old May 11 2009, 03:04 PM   #18
Thor Damar
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Thor Damar

Nerys Ghemor wrote: View Post
Sounds noble, and I can see where you're trying to make the character more glorious by human standards...but to a Cardassian view (and my own), what she really does is noble in its own right.

Children are Cardassia's future, after all--and those who teach them are entrusted with a HUGE responsibility, and are honored for it.
That's what I love about the Cardassians, public service is seen as a great good and is honored as such. In the West if it isn't turning a profit then it isn't worthwhile. (this Point of View is probably less in favour now).

Indeed, I think that the whole nature of the State is treated a lot more positively by Cardassians of all strips even the dissident movement. The Cardassian people will willingly serve the state if the state serves them, I envision it as more of a symbiotic relationship.

Thor Damar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:52 PM   #19
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to Cardassians and the state! I think that if you strip away the abuses and cruelties, what would be left is very worthwhile.
Old May 12 2009, 05:59 AM   #20
hellsgate
Commodore

I was thinking of Rachel Garrett of the Enterprise-C when I was thinking of your Setal Teron character earlier. That's who I was trying to compare her against.
hellsgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 02:22 PM   #21
Kaiser
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Kaiser Send a message via Yahoo to Kaiser

Very Nice Self Portrait
Old May 12 2009, 06:09 PM   #22
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Nerys, what medium did you use here? Charcoal? Because I was staring at it, and the blending has an almost charcoal quality.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12 2009, 06:18 PM   #23
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Nerys, what medium did you use here? Charcoal? Because I was staring at it, and the blending has an almost charcoal quality.
I actually used pencils, from HB all the way through to 6 or 9B, if I recall correctly. I used a blending stump to do the blending work--not exactly realistic in the style I used, I know, but I love the way Cardassian aesthetics work with an Art Deco approach.
Old May 13 2009, 12:21 AM   #24
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Ooh, interesting. I think the results came out very nicely. I too have a soft spot for art deco.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Old May 13 2009, 06:35 AM   #25
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Thanks.

The "sunburst" effect in the undershirt was very much a Deco effect--kinda like this photo of the lobby of the Empire State Building, for instance. The overshirt, though, I took more from canon examples, but I rendered it without bothering with every little wrinkle...which is something I notice in Deco drawings.

If you don't mind my asking, what are some of your favorite Art Deco examples?
Old May 13 2009, 11:41 AM   #26
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Art Deco examples I love off-hand:
The top of the Chrysler Building
The Chanin Building
The Oakland Paramount
The Golden Gate Bridge towers
The Nebraska State Capitol
Etc!

It should be pointed out to those with only casual interest who might be reading this a lot of what people claim is Art Deco isn't. Some people mistakenly lump various styles from the 20's into the space age together, like thinking Googie architecture is deco. It ain't. Streamline Moderne is a related but parellel style inspired by steamlined aircraft and automobiles, typically long and low and lacks much of the deco "gingerbread", though elements from both tended to cross into each other.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13 2009, 09:43 PM   #27
Praetor
Vice Admiral

DS9Sega wrote: View Post
Art Deco examples I love off-hand:
The top of the Chrysler Building
The Chanin Building
The Oakland Paramount
The Golden Gate Bridge towers
The Nebraska State Capitol
Etc!

It should be pointed out to those with only casual interest who might be reading this a lot of what people claim is Art Deco isn't. Some people mistakenly lump various styles from the 20's into the space age together, like thinking Googie architecture is deco. It ain't. Streamline Moderne is a related but parellel style inspired by steamlined aircraft and automobiles, typically long and low and lacks much of the deco "gingerbread", though elements from both tended to cross into each other.
Ah, DS9Sega, youbeat me to it! You nailed all but one of mine: the New India Assurance Buidling. Overlooked gem, IMO.

I'm also quite fond of Streamline Modern.
Old May 15 2009, 07:19 AM   #28
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Ah, DS9Sega, youbeat me to it! You nailed all but one of mine: the New India Assurance Buidling. Overlooked gem, IMO.

I'm also quite fond of Streamline Modern.
I almost listed that one, too!
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15 2009, 04:52 PM   #29
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Say, good sir, I like the way you think.
Old May 15 2009, 07:19 PM   #30
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Now if that angle on the Golden Gate Bridge towers doesn't make you think of a Cardassian space station (absent the typical Cardassian angling)...