Quinto In The Slap
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

Burton On Shatner’s Brown Bag Wine Tasting
By: T'Bonz on Sep 9

New Trek Trading Card Series
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

New Red Shirt Diaries Episode
By: T'Bonz on Sep 8

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2009, 11:50 PM   #1321
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Re: A personal take on... that movie

AJBryant wrote: View Post
Given the story we have in the film there is -- or will be -- no Journey to Babel. No Amok Time. No Kolinar for Spock. No Balance of Terror. No Menagerie. No Shore Leave. No Where No Man Has Gone Before. No This Side of Paradise.

Heck, to think of it, Spock never comes back after Wrath of Khan as there's no Vulcan temple for a priestess to perform the refusion of his katra and body. Come to think of it, given this story line, Kirk would never have hooked up with Carol Marcus. No David, then. And no "successful" Genesis test, as it was DAVID'S choice to use protomatter that made it... um... work.
So...what? It's an alternate reality.
Doctors do not attend the academy. They aren't line officers.
Crusher was, so it's obviously an option, if not one that is widely taken.
Ensigns are not 17. They are graduates of the academy, and 21 at least.
He was clearly established to be a whiz-kid who was advanced more than was normal.
So the Enterprise doesn't have a brig, Spock has to actually eject Kirk off onto an ice planet?
That's just what Spock wants to do.
Since when is marooning people to their possible deaths part of Starfleet regs?
Kirk explicitly notes that it's contrary to regulation.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 11:54 PM   #1322
gwud
Rear Admiral

Re: Emotional Detachment?

Vader47000, I agree with you (almost) completely; I enjoyed every minute of the film, but when Vulcan was destroyed it stopped being really Star Trek as I see it, which is a shame. Still an excellent film though.
Old May 10 2009, 11:58 PM   #1323
ShamelessMcBundy
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to ShamelessMcBundy Send a message via Yahoo to ShamelessMcBundy
Re: Emotional Detachment?

^^But it is Star Trek. Alternate reality and all that. Universe A, remember? Just go with the flow, guys.
Old May 11 2009, 12:42 AM   #1324
zakfa
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I was on the fence ever since hearing about the new movie. I wasn't exactly excited about re-casting the original actors. Probably the most shocking thing to me is how I wasn't bothered by it at all after watching the movie. In fact, I thought everyone did a wonderful job in their roles.

The movie isn't perfect by any means, and I really hated the corvette scene, but this is a good introduction to this new universe. It's just going to be hard waiting for the sequel.
zakfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 12:43 AM   #1325
cyberengland
Ensign

This is a great movie. It really is. The only serious complaint I would have is the complete lack of understanding of what a black hole is and how it functions... but how geeky of a complaint is that? Come on, people

I think it was genius to create an alternate "Mirror, Mirror" inspired timeline, just so that people with my level of knowledge cannot say "Hey, you got that wrong". We can't say that, becuase it's an alternate timeline and anything can happen in it. I, personally, think that was a brilliant decision because they could never "get it right" on every detail as they would need to if they were going to succeed with the Trekkers like me. I think it was the right decision.

This is a great movie. If you have never liked Star Trek, you might like this new version, which I hope they make at least 9 more movies with this new cast, or even create a brand new TV series using this cast. If you are a hard-core Trekker, just go into it knowing that this is not your father's Star Trek, this is a "Mirror, Mirror"-like alternate timeline. Same characters, same Star Fleet... new universe.

Some Trekkers are just too hard core. It isn't possible to go back in time and give you Shattner, Nimoy, and Doohan all over again. And it is certainly not possible to re-do the series and keep with the original perfectly. A lot of mistakes would be made. The alternate timeline was the best choice, I think. So for the "too hard core Trekkers", I say that you ought to realize that and like the new version for what it is (the best science fiction movie I've seen in at least a decade) and stop insisting that JJ Abrams begin channeling Gene Rodenberry.

Last edited by cyberengland; May 11 2009 at 12:46 AM. Reason: mispellings
cyberengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 01:23 AM   #1326
Gertch
Admiral

cyberengland wrote: View Post
Some Trekkers are just too hard core. It isn't possible to go back in time and give you Shattner, Nimoy, and Doohan all over again.
Of course it is. We just need to get our hands on a little red matter...
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 01:35 AM   #1327
Daedalus12
Rear Admiral

Trek XI was nearly a shower of shit for me. Okay it wasn't that bad and I did vote average in the poll. I thought Urban was awesome as the new McCoy. Both Ryder and Cross were impressive in their short moments onscreen. The rest of the cast didn't do badly but there weren't there any standouts.

The plot suffers the same fate as Nemesis with its villain who hatches this rather nonsensical and grand-standing plan that one would find in any 007 movie. Like Shinzon Nero was also very very dull. Honestly I would prefer the next movie not have this single madman villain archetype or a villain at all.

Nitpick

I don't like design of the engineering sections. The grotesque amount of exposed pipings, valves, wisps of steam/smoke everywhere, etc gave me an impression of that the Enterprise is some 20th century distillation-based industrial facility. If JJ wanted a more gritty look he could've looked at some engine rooms on the Nimitz carriers.

Note: I did mention before that I wasn't going to to see this at all. Somehow I was dragged into seeing it.
"Bennett & Meyer are obviously the Ceti Eels introduced into the collective brain of Trekdom, leading to easy manipulation (TWOK), impaired cognitive functionality (TSFS), drooling (TVH), agonized death (TFF) and extended post-mortem twitching (TUC).
Daedalus12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:19 AM   #1328
Saxman1
Commodore

My rating: EXCELLENT! I am 49 and saw TOS first run and have at least liked all incarnations of Star Trek with the exception of the TNG films (bleh & meh). Ready to duck, but I think this is by far the best Star Trek film ever. I'm one of those rare fans who feels the first two films were perhaps the strongest in the series for differing reasons, but even so, I think "Star Trek" is best.

Why? There is a real heart to the film many have missed who are already hating or made up their minds to hate this new picture. The wife and I were in tears a few minutes into the film with Jim's birth/his father's death saving lives. The destruction of Vulcan, the Enterprise rising, the determination of the crew to succeed and work as a team against a superior starship from the future, all those things really tugged at the heartstrings.

Old Spock was magnifient: I was thrilled he wasn't killed off like he would have been had Berman and company made this picture (see Kirk and Data for a prime example).

The timeline has been reset so Kirk doesn't have to die on that collapsing bridge helping Picard! I love it! They can go wherever they want to with the next film! They don't ever have to visit Picard or any of that generaton if they don't want to. I loved TNG & DS9, liked parts of VOY and ENT, but always has my warmest regards towards TOS crew/characters. Love the new cast!

It's great to be excited about Star Trek again! Like the first Narnia film, it seemed to last about 10 minutes. I couldn't belive it was over!

We're taking my mom to see it ASAP - she's a huge fan, too!
Saxman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 02:52 AM   #1329
Bacl
Fleet Captain

Saw it today.

This was not Star Trek.

These could have been any characters, in any science fiction setting. There was nothing Star Trek about this movie.

Product placements for Budweiser and Nokia? Give me a fucking break.
Old May 11 2009, 03:09 AM   #1330
bismarck_1892
Captain

Bacl wrote: View Post
Saw it today.

This was not Star Trek.

These could have been any characters, in any science fiction setting. There was nothing Star Trek about this movie.

Product placements for Budweiser and Nokia? Give me a fucking break.
Don't forget to vote.
bismarck_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:12 AM   #1331
cyberengland
Ensign

Well, Bacl, you are entitled to hate this movie. That is your choice about how you feel about it. However, if your opinion is right, then that means the vast majority of us here on this board are wrong about Star Trek XI. I have seen this movie, and I place it in the top five of Star Trek movies. I believe that the great success of this movie will lead to more excellent movies set in this new alternate reality. Hopefully, in the future, we will all be able to look back and say that Star Trek XI was the catalyst for another excellent and new Star Trek series for TV.
cyberengland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:16 AM   #1332
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Nope, those were the original Star Trek characters, real and whole. This was pure Star Trek.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:21 AM   #1333
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

These could have been any characters, in any science fiction setting. There was nothing Star Trek about this movie..
Any characters who:

Walk with an arrogant swagger and glance sidelong at attractive women.

Say things like, "dammit, I'm a doctor" and "are you out of your Vulcan mind?!"

Are Russian but, in contrast to the Russian accent, pronounce their "v's" as "w's."

Are fencing aficionados and of Asian decent.

Speak with a heavy Scottish brouge, fancies the liquor and says things like "I've given ya' all she got!"

Are emotionless half-breeds with burst-fits of emotion.

Yep.

These could've been ANY characters.
Old May 11 2009, 03:25 AM   #1334
Stone_Cold_Sisko
Vice Admiral

I'm going to see it again tomorrow night. I CANT WAIT!!!!
Stone_Cold_Sisko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11 2009, 03:34 AM   #1335
S'kai
Captain

Daedalus12 wrote: View Post
I don't like design of the engineering sections. The grotesque amount of exposed pipings, valves, wisps of steam/smoke everywhere, etc gave me an impression of that the Enterprise is some 20th century distillation-based industrial facility. If JJ wanted a more gritty look he could've looked at some engine rooms on the Nimitz carriers.
So you think it is that easy to go on board and take pictures inside the Nuclear Wessels?