Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 10 2009, 06:10 AM   #1201
Borgminister

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

mysticgeek wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post

Or was unimpressed by it.
or frightened by it. Or void of all emotion over it.
Take your pick--your point is absurd.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 10 2009 at 07:03 AM. Reason: quote tags corrected
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:11 AM   #1202
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

J. Allen wrote: View Post
jazzstick wrote: View Post

Nothing. I just think he's far more authoritative in whether he got his own character right. Your mileage may vary.

J.
True but it still seemed forced! But then again your mileage may vary too!
To be fair, I was also extremely excited to see Spock on the big screen. Nemesis had been my first Star Trek movie that I had seen in the theater (I've been a huge fan since I was 4, but always missed the movies while they were in theaters). So for me, it was just epic, epic, epic.

J.
Yes Epically forced!
Old May 10 2009, 06:12 AM   #1203
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

or frightened by it.
Vanishingly unlikely.

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 10 2009 at 07:04 AM. Reason: quote tags corrected
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:12 AM   #1204
mysticgeek
Lieutenant

View mysticgeek's Twitter Profile

You completely miss my sarcasm
Borgminister wrote: View Post

or frightened by it. Or void of all emotion over it.
Take your pick--your point is absurd.
Absurd Ineed

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 10 2009 at 07:05 AM. Reason: quote tags corrected
mysticgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:13 AM   #1205
Borgminister

Old May 10 2009, 06:13 AM   #1206
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

True but it still seemed forced! But then again your mileage may vary too!
To be fair, I was also extremely excited to see Spock on the big screen. Nemesis had been my first Star Trek movie that I had seen in the theater (I've been a huge fan since I was 4, but always missed the movies while they were in theaters). So for me, it was just epic, epic, epic.

J.
Yes Epically forced!
To you.

Imagine though, a character that you have loved for most of your life, have seen hundreds of hours on the small screen, read the books, flesh them out in your head, make them a part of you, and then they appear, larger than life, on the big screen. It was just overwhelming. I swear I was going to start crying for a second, because his appearance hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't think I breathed for a good 10 seconds. It was magical for me.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:14 AM   #1207
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

Spock's character was so out of character just to bridge the gap, Really why would an old Federation diplomat seal up a supernova, this just makes no sense!
Old May 10 2009, 06:14 AM   #1208
Borgminister

All of the Trek movies can be nitpicked to death; so?
Old May 10 2009, 06:16 AM   #1209
mysticgeek
Lieutenant

View mysticgeek's Twitter Profile

Spock's character was so out of character just to bridge the gap, Really why would an old Federation diplomat seal up a supernova, this just makes no sense!
But Jazzstick Spock was in the movie! SPOCK!
mysticgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:16 AM   #1210
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

J.
Yes Epically forced!
To you.

Imagine though, a character that you have loved for most of your life, have seen hundreds of hours on the small screen, read the books, flesh them out in your head, make them a part of you, and then they appear, larger than life, on the big screen. It was just overwhelming. I swear I was going to start crying for a second, because his appearance hit me like a ton of bricks. I don't think I breathed for a good 10 seconds. It was magical for me.

J.
Too bad it was a forced awful performance, both out of character for both the actor and the character he developed!
Old May 10 2009, 06:17 AM   #1211
Santa Claus
Believe

Send a message via ICQ to Santa Claus Send a message via AIM to Santa Claus Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Santa Claus Send a message via Yahoo to Santa Claus

Yes Epically forced!
To you.

J.
Too bad it was a forced awful performance, both out of character for both the actor and the character he developed!

*sigh*

I'm starting to think you don't want to understand, you just want to nitpick.
I had no doubt whom I was looking at; Spock, son of Sarek. Diplomat, Ambassador, former First Officer of the U.S.S. Enterprise, attained Kohlinar and rejected it.

J.
❄ A Joyful Holiday Season to You All! ❄

Santa Claus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2009, 06:17 AM   #1212
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

But Jazzstick Spock was in the movie! SPOCK!
Yes that pointy ear fella!
Old May 10 2009, 06:17 AM   #1213
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

uh because he also used to be a scientist..
because that combined with his being a diplomat and long term interaction with the romulans made him unique for the task.
Old May 10 2009, 06:18 AM   #1214
jazzstick
Lieutenant Commander

To you.

J.

*sigh*

I'm starting to think you don't want to understand, you just want to nitpick.

J.

Seriously what about Nimoy's performance or what "Spock Prime" did in this movie was good or in character?
Old May 10 2009, 06:19 AM   #1215
lawman
Commander

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Who says Kirk doesn't have things to learn? Also, isn't a lot of the fleet destroyed by Nemo? Captains are at a premium. This is how Spock and Bones will help Kirk in his command decisions.
No, actually the only Starfleet ships Nero destroyed were six of the seven sent from Earth to Vulcan, apparently crewed mostly by cadets. The rest of Starfleet is still intact, somewhere in or around the conveniently distant Laurentian system.

Therin of Andor wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
and finally suck in that elusive mass audience that doesn't want to actually think about what they just saw
You know, everyone I know who's seen the movie, fan and not-already-fan, has done plenty of thinking and talking about this movie and its themes.
Really? I've seen lots of talking about plot and acting and continuity, and even a little about emotional impact (the way it celebrates family and friendship). But actual themes? Pretty much zilch. What do you think they were?

Trekker4747 wrote: View Post
The fact-of-the-matter is, more deep moviies like, say, The Wrath of Khan just wouldn't work today.
I honestly have no idea what you're getting at. TWOK was a better film by far, yes, and did have actual themes underlying the story... although calling it "deep" might be overstating the case. But what is there about it that you think wouldn't work today? Specifically? You seem to have a hypothesis here about how storytelling styles and/or audience tastes have changed in the last 27 years, but I just don't see evidence for it.

Heck, just look at X-Men and X2. Recent, big-budget adventure films with fancy special effects, yes... but still with stories built around serious social commentary, and a sense of gravitas that this film lacked. (As did X-Men 3, sadly. But I digress.)

Blue_Trek wrote: View Post
I pulled this quote from another forum that had only a single thread on Star Trek.
[snipped]
This is why we have a winner, people that have never seen Star Trek in there lives, wanting to see it multiple times.

EPIC WIN
Not to be snarky, but why should I care? I like what I like (books, TV, movies, whatever) for reasons of my own. How does it affect my experience one iota whether or not people previously unfamiliar with the material choose to like it?

Or, as another poster put it quite succinctly:
I am rambling but I see nothing gained by a bunch of "normies" liking this movie and then not understanding anything else. Who benefits? oh yeah Hollywood ... so what.
Exactly.

Tom Servo wrote: View Post
No, but it's a problem when someone thinks that if someone enjoyed a film for other reasons, or that that maybe the point of the film was not to be intelligent trek, but a fun ass movie, that they are somehow inferior and "drinking the koolade". I respond to April with venom because he presents his views with a condescending tone, and bitches just to bitch...
The Kool-Aid line really seems to have gotten under your skin. Don't know why, and don't care to speculate. FWIW, though, to whatever extent it's true that "the point of the film was not to be intelligent Trek," then IMHO that is a problem. If you don't see it as one, then Kool-Aid or no, at the very least you're one of those folks who (as I wrote upthread) somehow manage to like Trek without actually valuing what's best about it.

I love this though. The fact that people are destroying this film because it was not intelligent enough for them. What was so intelligent about TWOK? Or TVH? Or FC? Those three films are the most successful of the bunch, but they are also the most fun, just like this film.
I won't defend FC except as being the best of the TNG-era films, which is definitely damning with faint praise. But as for the others? If you have to ask, I suspect you wouldn't understand. Long story short, they were more intelligent because the writers wrote them that way, so that audiences could watch them without having their own intelligence insulted. Hell, Trekker4747 considers TWOK downright "deep." If you want to delve into details, that's probably fodder for a different thread.

Last edited by lawman; May 10 2009 at 06:31 AM.
lawman is offline   Reply With Quote