RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,667
Members: 24,819
Currently online: 456
Newest member: Werner Bitterli

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Enterprise

Enterprise The final frontier has a new beginning in this forum!

Old May 8 2009, 03:49 AM   #1
Captain59
Fleet Captain

ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

I think this would get completely buried in the Star Trek XI forum, which is why I'm posting this here and hopefully it's appropriate. See below...
First, I think all of us have heard about the reference Scotty makes to "Admiral Archer's famous beagle," which he does say. Two things I didn't read about though is that Kirk says, "oh, I know that dog." And when Kirk asks how the dog is doing, Scotty says he'll let him know when he shows up. So, the dog doesn't necessarily die...we don't know his fate. And, I think it's pretty cool that Kirk knows about Archer's dog...which is probably Porthos the Tenth by this point.

I think I picked up on another ENT reference earlier in the film. When McCoy is giving Kirk medication to make him appear sick, I swear I heard McCoy reference a name or procedure with Phlox's name. If so, I'm wondering exactly what he's referring to and if it's actually something related to ENT, or just a random reference to Phlox...which is cool, anyway.

That's all I picked up on. I didn't see anything relating to ENT, but I could have missed something. I'm looking forward to getting the book on Tuesday to see if the novelized version expands at all on any of this.

BTW, the movie ROCKS!

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Captain59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile
Re: ENT Reference in Star Trek XI? - SPOILERS

the kelvin uniforms are a point in betweeen the enterprise desert uniforms and the later tos style ones.
Old May 8 2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Captain59
Fleet Captain

^ Interesting. Can anyone find a picture of the Kelvin uniforms? I'm having no luck. (Someone also said the Kelvin communicators looked like TOS communicators, but I can't find a pic of those either.)

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Old May 8 2009, 08:37 PM   #4
cooleddie74
Fleet Admiral

View cooleddie74's Twitter Profile

Yeah, with the altered timeline/history in this new reality(at least for the next couple of films anyways)ENTERPRISE is probably the only remnant of the original history that can be safely referenced now.

-Captain Jonathan Archer, 2151
cooleddie74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 10:38 PM   #5
Captain59
Fleet Captain

I like that...a little retribution for ENT. Also, I believe Archer was the only character from a spinoff Trek mentioned.

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Old May 8 2009, 11:33 PM   #6
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

Saw it for the second time today. The closest McCoy gets to 'Phlox' is 'flop sweat'.
Old May 9 2009, 06:59 AM   #7
commodore64
Vice Admiral

Captain 59, I think you're right. Okay, so ... was Archer Scotty's instructor? Or did Archer volunteer his dog. And does that mean that the episode Dadelus is more important now b/c Scotty essentially pulls off what Archer's longtime father-figure wanted to do?

ENTERPRISE is probably the only remnant of the original history that can be safely referenced now.
OMG - you're right. That's ironic, huh?! I also think it's safe to say the Cage (Menagerie) happened beforehand. Other than that, all bets are off.

Someone had a quote from Bakula up that indicated Paramount probably wishes it could have Enterprise again for the new excitement about XI. You know, based on the movie and where it took the storyline, I agree.

One comment: Urban was the best McCoy I've ever seen. I think he either embodied or improved on what DeForrest gave us.
Old May 9 2009, 07:13 AM   #8
M
Vice Admiral

commodore64 wrote: View Post
I also think it's safe to say the Cage (Menagerie) happened beforehand.
Unfortunately no, that's not safe to say. In the movie Pike talks about it being the Enterprise's maiden voyage. It was pretty clear to me that there weren't any missions before that.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 07:18 AM   #9
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

As a huge ENT fan I was rather chuffed that Archer got that mention. I know if pisses a few anti-ENT folks off, LOL.

Sorry to hear there was no Phlox mention, I'm going again tonight so I will listen just in case

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 07:42 AM   #10
pookha
Admiral

View pookha's Twitter Profile

time got changed even before the cage..
30 years in the past...

and i dont think it was jonathan archer who was the admiral but rather one of his descendents..
Old May 9 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
commodore64
Vice Admiral

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
commodore64 wrote: View Post
I also think it's safe to say the Cage (Menagerie) happened beforehand.
Unfortunately no, that's not safe to say. In the movie Pike talks about it being the Enterprise's maiden voyage. It was pretty clear to me that there weren't any missions before that.
Ah, I didn't hear maiden voyage. It seemed like before Kirk got there some folks were already assigned. Although, I've only seen it once!

Teacake, not me. I thought it was awesome.
Old May 9 2009, 09:01 AM   #12
lceb
Commander

If i remember correctly Pike said something to Spock about the ship being brand new. I believe all the ships that went to Vulcan with cadets were new.
It was nice to hear about Admiral Archer's beagle even though it's fate was not the best!
lceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 09:03 AM   #13
lceb
Commander

If I remember correctly Pike said something to Spock about the ship being brand new. I believe all the ships that went to Vulcan with cadets were new.
It was nice to hear about Admiral Archer's beagle even though it's fate was not the best!
lceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:55 PM   #14
Captain59
Fleet Captain

lceb wrote: View Post
I have been told he's mentioned again in the novelized version at least, which I'm getting on Tuesday. Actually, I know what it says, but don't want to spoil it. If anyone can tell me how to use spoiler tags, I'll post it.

R.I.P. Kellie Waymire
Old May 9 2009, 04:02 PM   #15
Mach5
Rear Admiral

Captain59 wrote: View Post
lceb wrote: View Post
I have been told he's mentioned again in the novelized version at least, which I'm getting on Tuesday. Actually, I know what it says, but don't want to spoil it. If anyone can tell me how to use spoiler tags, I'll post it.
You select (highlight) the text you want to hide, and click the yellow smiley icon above the text box, the first one on the right .
Mach5 is offline   Reply With Quote