The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 30, 2009.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

711 vote(s)
    62.9%
  2. Above Average

213 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Average

84 vote(s)
    7.4%
  4. Below Average

46 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Poor

77 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

[ROBAU]I'm not familiar with that movie. Where are you from? [/ROBAU]

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly do not know what to do with myself. I really want to see this film again, right now! :lol:

J.

3. Rusty0918

Rusty0918 Commander Red Shirt

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Uh, yeah.

Go lecture someone else.

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Star Trek

Rated: PG-13 for sci-fi action and violence, and brief sexual content.

My Grade: Straight-A

----------------------------------------------------

In short: Continuity and canon takes it up the ass. Hard.

I enjoyed watching it like a peeping-tom pervert.

I went to the theater tonight -in the biggest and best theater in my area- wearing my "NX-01" ball-cap and my TNG Combadge, smiling. The theater was about half or three-quarters full, but it's a real good-sized auditorium.

It was: Fun.

But this movie cannot be joined into the rest of the franchise. It's a whole other universe -though it can be argued it started off that way. Some of JJ's interpretations of the universe I didn't agree with (the view screen being a window, for one) or that companies like Budweiser and Nokia survive the third World War, the Eugenic War and all of the economic turmoils of the next 300 years, that people still would drink Budweiser and that Nokia won't change their theme tune/default ring and, oh, the internet still exists and we still use ".com." with it. But I'm getting nitpicky and into a tangent.

I loved this movie. It was a good, fun, time and all of these actors bring these beloved characters to life in new and fun ways. Honestly, this is how the original cast should've acted in TMP. Chekov's thick accent (and W's instead of V's), McCoy's surly disposition (even though, JJ obviously doesn't know why McCoy was called "bones"), and Kirk and Spock are near perfectly cast and acted. The only thing missing was Kirk losing his shirt or doing one of those laying-on-his back thrust/kicks.

This movie is a real fun ride, breathes life to the franchise and series and clearly sets off in its own direction in a whole new, fresh, Trek universe. The most touching, and great, moment for me was Nimoy's Spock passing the torch to Quinto's Spock: (doing Vulcan salute) "My usual phrase seems self-serving so I'll just say... "good luck."

I just wish Shatner would've done a similar passing to Pine's Kirk.

Oh well.

Good, fun, time in the theater and made me happy to be a Trekkie and I rushed home and popped in a TOS DVD.

It's a shame this movie couldn't have been "more true" to the franchise in so many ways in term of continuity, but it's obviously wanting to set off on its own which is fine. I've enough room in my heart for two Star Trek universes. :)

If I have any gripes about the actual plot and technical aspects of the movie it'd be that I felt the fight scenes were too jilted, the SFX shots of the ships too "quick" and movey (and I didn't like the depiction of phasers/weapons fire), I didn't like the use of "lens flares", and I wish the Engineering set wasn't borrowed from "Space Mutiny."

But whatever, a rollicking good time, any Trek fan should be happy with this movie and enjoy themselves. Screw that, any movie-goer should enjoy this movie. It has good action, drama and humor and you don't need to be a Trek fan to "get" it.

Star Trek is back, it's new and different, but a good time none-the-less and I look forward to future adventures with this ship and crew.

6. Amaris

I must be the only guy who loved the engine room.

J.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have something else to say to anyone lamenting the death of the old Trek (as opposed to someone who just thought the movie was sub par). One thing inescapable on this BBS is that very few folks are Trek-omnivores. Many have some series they despise or consider not-Trek. If you're lamenting the loss of the old Trekiverse how about revisiting one of these? Go and watch VOY all the way through, or ENT or TOS if you thought it too old to enjoy. I bet for some of you lamenters there is a huge hunk of the old Trekiverse you are not even versed in because it didn't meet your standards in some way.

I wasn't primed or starved to love this movie. I have plenty of Trek at my disposal and I had no real expectations. I was VERY pleasanty surprised. Ecstatic, even.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first thought when I saw it was "wow, this is so much more realistic."

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

They lied! Paramount lied! Nothing new I know but this time it worked out in our favor. ;)

The commercials kept saying: It's not your father's Star Trek.

Lies! Lies! All lies!

And thank God. :devil:

What they should have said is: It ain't Generation X's Star Trek.

As a man born in 1975 I can say without a doubt in my mind that this is my father's Star Trek.

Kirk, Spock, McCoy!

Exciting battles galore!

Fisticuffs!

Interpersonal conflict!

Romance!

Leonard Nimoy!

Non-stilted humor!

And best of all. It's unencumbered by the continuity which stopped being a biproduct of storytelling and somehow turned into the point of telling stories.

That silly all-encomposing canon that people have pretended was so important for so long.

Gone! And better for it.

Star Trek is no longer a checklist. It's like it was in the 60s. Pristine. Virgin. Willing to go batshit crazy and toss out established facts if it got in the way of telling one hell of a good story.

Star Trek lives!

Oh does it live. It lives in the way that the boring old 24th Century shows failed to. It lives in the way that Enterprise never did. It lives in the way that the TNG movies failed to.

Because it took the spirit of Star Trek rather than the canon and hung a story on it rather than hanging the canon on a story and letting Star Trek be more about it's history rather than where it is right now.

That's why this movie works! Because it felt spontaneous. Immediate. Fresh! It bubbled over with excitement just the way I am now!

This is the Star Trek we should have been getting for the last 22 years! The original Star Trek. Not a Star Trek for the next generation.

A Star Trek for all people!

What a fantastic movie! I think I'll see it again! And again! And again!

10. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

In many ways I feel the same way but the same time I dont. Id o think many trekkies have a tendency to pick one trek and ignore the others or hate on it for one reason or another. As one of the Trek-omnivores though, I will fully admit that I was trek starved. Sure, we have all of the old Trek out there to explore and I certainly love it. But old stories arent new stories, and a franchise with trek just has so much potential for new stories that what we have will just not be enough. I crave more :devil:

11. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

No, you definitely are not! I loved it, too. I thought it looked very realistic. :techman:

12. Amaris

Woohoo!
    It did feel realistic. It had a used, workable feel to it.

J.

13. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

I will not allow you to lecture me!

14. Admiral Buzzkill

How used could it be ? The Enterprise still has the dealer's sticker on the rear window.

15. Amaris

When I say used, I mean practical.

J.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, well then why don't you stop me?

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

How does a giant brewer feel "realistic" for an engine room for a FTL starship?

It just didn't work for me when Kirk is running past huge vats of something.

18. cubbie

cubbie Vice Admiral Admiral

I just watched it and I have to say that I loved it! Spock is the heart of this movie, but Kirk is fabulous as well.

I'm still crying over what happened to Vulcan, though. At least Spock prime is helping the Vulcan race.

Minor nitpick is the lens flares. It bugged me a couple of times.

I can't wait to see this again.

19. Amaris

So maybe it doesn't work for you.
    It works for me and several others.

J.

20. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

vats, pipes, tubes and warehouses, heh