Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Trek Actors In War Of The Worlds Fundraiser
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Star Trek: The Next Generation Gag Reel Tease
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Shatner In Haven
By: T'Bonz on Nov 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2009, 04:09 AM   #856
DaveG
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Saw it late this afternoon. About 20 people in the theater and there were no lines when we left around 8ish.

While OK the movie didn't feel right. Characters were well cast but the story left me wanting something else. I was reminded of Praetor Shinzon when I saw Cpt. Nero (did he have a fiddle I wonder) and their huge ships looked somewhat similar, designed to destroy entire worlds. Too many fights. Some actions scenes were a blur. Red lava lamp blobs that trigger black holes? Ice planet (Hoth?) - homage to Star Wars and oh, Kirk just so happens to run into Spock senior in the middle of nowhere while being chased by I wanna eat you creatures. Was there another writer's strike I missed? Come on.
And the Enterprise. The bridge looked good, but the rest looked like a dry cleaning factory. Was that a winshield I noticed? Cracked no less while "she's breakin' free" from the lava lamp induced black hole.

I doubt I'll be seeing this flick again. I'm actually sorry to say that. I was really looking forward to the reboot, but instead got something else.

Last edited by DaveG; May 9 2009 at 04:01 PM.
DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:10 AM   #857
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

DaveG wrote: View Post
I was reminded of Praetor Shinzon...
Who?
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:14 AM   #858
teacake
Fleet Admiral

Location: Google's ass cave full of the lush, lush asses they have stolen.

Orac Zen wrote: View Post

And while I completely understand where people like galleywest are coming from, I don't mourn the fact that future movies won't take place in the Trek universe we've known for the past four decades. That universe is perfectly intact and it won't be going anywhere, but trying to cater to those four decades of stories and continuity led to Insurrection and Nemesis - two of the worst movies imaginable. This parallel universe offers its own future and I for one want to see what that future will be like.
So wonderfully true. We have SIX series in the original Trek universe, 10 films and if you're a treklit reader some truly awesome series going on at the moment. It's all there and all rewatchable.. I am rewatching one or another series all the time and believe me it is quite enjoyable and there is so much of it that sometimes it's like watching a new ep because I've forgotten the gist of it.

I am ready for the new future. I'm very very excited about it. No one has destroyed the old one, my shelves are groaning with dvd sets and novels!

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:23 AM   #859
DaveG
Lieutenant Commander

Dennis wrote: View Post
Who?
The bad guy from Nemisis.
Old May 9 2009, 04:27 AM   #860
rramarr
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to rramarr

I never seen such a large group of Star Trek starved fans. It was a saltine and you are calling it a Ritz. It was a great "Trek" film but not a great film. Some thread even mentioned Oscars. What!!!. You know how many great sci-fi films never got a whisper at the oscars. It was so great but yet only about 25 people showed up on opening night in a large metro area theatre I heard it was no different tonight. If you watch the 10 prior films there is no way you can give this film's screenwriting Oscar consideration if those other films didn't get it. There was a good portrayal of characters but my buddy does a good Nimoy impersonation too - should we give him an Oscar. Enjoy it love it as I did but recognize its limits and your predispoistion to loving it before you seen it.
Old May 9 2009, 04:27 AM   #861
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Who?
The bad guy from Nemisis.

[ROBAU]I'm not familiar with that movie. Where are you from? [/ROBAU]
Old May 9 2009, 04:28 AM   #862
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I honestly do not know what to do with myself. I really want to see this film again, right now!

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:28 AM   #863
Rusty0918
Lieutenant

My review

Here:
http://www.portal.startreklexington.....php?topic=291
Rusty0918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:30 AM   #864
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

rramarr wrote: View Post
I never seen [sic] such a large group of Star Trek starved fans. It was a saltine and you are calling it a Ritz. ...recognize its [sic] limits and your predispoistion[sic] to loving it [sic] before you seen it.
Uh, yeah.

Go lecture someone else.
Old May 9 2009, 04:34 AM   #865
Trekker4747
Trekker4747

Star Trek

Rated: PG-13 for sci-fi action and violence, and brief sexual content.

My Grade: Straight-A

----------------------------------------------------

In short: Continuity and canon takes it up the ass. Hard.

I enjoyed watching it like a peeping-tom pervert.

I went to the theater tonight -in the biggest and best theater in my area- wearing my "NX-01" ball-cap and my TNG Combadge, smiling. The theater was about half or three-quarters full, but it's a real good-sized auditorium.

It was: Fun.

But this movie cannot be joined into the rest of the franchise. It's a whole other universe -though it can be argued it started off that way. Some of JJ's interpretations of the universe I didn't agree with (the view screen being a window, for one) or that companies like Budweiser and Nokia survive the third World War, the Eugenic War and all of the economic turmoils of the next 300 years, that people still would drink Budweiser and that Nokia won't change their theme tune/default ring and, oh, the internet still exists and we still use ".com." with it. But I'm getting nitpicky and into a tangent.

I loved this movie. It was a good, fun, time and all of these actors bring these beloved characters to life in new and fun ways. Honestly, this is how the original cast should've acted in TMP. Chekov's thick accent (and W's instead of V's), McCoy's surly disposition (even though, JJ obviously doesn't know why McCoy was called "bones"), and Kirk and Spock are near perfectly cast and acted. The only thing missing was Kirk losing his shirt or doing one of those laying-on-his back thrust/kicks.

This movie is a real fun ride, breathes life to the franchise and series and clearly sets off in its own direction in a whole new, fresh, Trek universe. The most touching, and great, moment for me was Nimoy's Spock passing the torch to Quinto's Spock: (doing Vulcan salute) "My usual phrase seems self-serving so I'll just say... "good luck."

I just wish Shatner would've done a similar passing to Pine's Kirk.

Oh well.

Good, fun, time in the theater and made me happy to be a Trekkie and I rushed home and popped in a TOS DVD.

It's a shame this movie couldn't have been "more true" to the franchise in so many ways in term of continuity, but it's obviously wanting to set off on its own which is fine. I've enough room in my heart for two Star Trek universes.

If I have any gripes about the actual plot and technical aspects of the movie it'd be that I felt the fight scenes were too jilted, the SFX shots of the ships too "quick" and movey (and I didn't like the depiction of phasers/weapons fire), I didn't like the use of "lens flares", and I wish the Engineering set wasn't borrowed from "Space Mutiny."

But whatever, a rollicking good time, any Trek fan should be happy with this movie and enjoy themselves. Screw that, any movie-goer should enjoy this movie. It has good action, drama and humor and you don't need to be a Trek fan to "get" it.

Star Trek is back, it's new and different, but a good time none-the-less and I look forward to future adventures with this ship and crew.
Old May 9 2009, 04:39 AM   #866
J. Allen
[Snuggling Intensifies]

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

I must be the only guy who loved the engine room.

J.
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:41 AM   #867
teacake
Fleet Admiral

I have something else to say to anyone lamenting the death of the old Trek (as opposed to someone who just thought the movie was sub par). One thing inescapable on this BBS is that very few folks are Trek-omnivores. Many have some series they despise or consider not-Trek. If you're lamenting the loss of the old Trekiverse how about revisiting one of these? Go and watch VOY all the way through, or ENT or TOS if you thought it too old to enjoy. I bet for some of you lamenters there is a huge hunk of the old Trekiverse you are not even versed in because it didn't meet your standards in some way.

I wasn't primed or starved to love this movie. I have plenty of Trek at my disposal and I had no real expectations. I was VERY pleasanty surprised. Ecstatic, even.

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 9 2009, 04:48 AM   #868
teacake
Fleet Admiral

J. Allen wrote: View Post
I must be the only guy who loved the engine room.

J.
My first thought when I saw it was "wow, this is so much more realistic."

■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
Old May 9 2009, 04:55 AM   #869
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

They lied! Paramount lied! Nothing new I know but this time it worked out in our favor.

The commercials kept saying: It's not your father's Star Trek.

Lies! Lies! All lies!

And thank God.

What they should have said is: It ain't Generation X's Star Trek.

As a man born in 1975 I can say without a doubt in my mind that this is my father's Star Trek.

Kirk, Spock, McCoy!

Exciting battles galore!

Fisticuffs!

Interpersonal conflict!

Romance!

Leonard Nimoy!

Non-stilted humor!

And best of all. It's unencumbered by the continuity which stopped being a biproduct of storytelling and somehow turned into the point of telling stories.

That silly all-encomposing canon that people have pretended was so important for so long.

Gone! And better for it.

Star Trek is no longer a checklist. It's like it was in the 60s. Pristine. Virgin. Willing to go batshit crazy and toss out established facts if it got in the way of telling one hell of a good story.

Star Trek lives!

Oh does it live. It lives in the way that the boring old 24th Century shows failed to. It lives in the way that Enterprise never did. It lives in the way that the TNG movies failed to.

Because it took the spirit of Star Trek rather than the canon and hung a story on it rather than hanging the canon on a story and letting Star Trek be more about it's history rather than where it is right now.

That's why this movie works! Because it felt spontaneous. Immediate. Fresh! It bubbled over with excitement just the way I am now!

This is the Star Trek we should have been getting for the last 22 years! The original Star Trek. Not a Star Trek for the next generation.

A Star Trek for all people!

What a fantastic movie! I think I'll see it again! And again! And again!
Admiral James Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 04:56 AM   #870
clint g
Admiral

teacake wrote: View Post
I have something else to say to anyone lamenting the death of the old Trek (as opposed to someone who just thought the movie was sub par). One thing inescapable on this BBS is that very few folks are Trek-omnivores. Many have some series they despise or consider not-Trek. If you're lamenting the loss of the old Trekiverse how about revisiting one of these? Go and watch VOY all the way through, or ENT or TOS if you thought it too old to enjoy. I bet for some of you lamenters there is a huge hunk of the old Trekiverse you are not even versed in because it didn't meet your standards in some way.

I wasn't primed or starved to love this movie. I have plenty of Trek at my disposal and I had no real expectations. I was VERY pleasanty surprised. Ecstatic, even.
In many ways I feel the same way but the same time I dont. Id o think many trekkies have a tendency to pick one trek and ignore the others or hate on it for one reason or another. As one of the Trek-omnivores though, I will fully admit that I was trek starved. Sure, we have all of the old Trek out there to explore and I certainly love it. But old stories arent new stories, and a franchise with trek just has so much potential for new stories that what we have will just not be enough. I crave more