Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Takei Has Growth Removed

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 9 2009, 03:09 AM   #811
Kelso
Vice Admiral

View Kelso's Twitter Profile
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Excellent

That was the most fun I've had watching Star Trek since I was 12!

Random thoughts...

- They need to move away from the kitchy retro thing. The classic uniforms didn't look nearly as good as the academy uniforms and the old fashioned beeps and boops felt a bit silly to me. And this is from someone who loves the original series more than any healthy person should love a TV show.

- For the first time in my life, I like Chekov. Hell, I loved him!

- The entire cast was perfect... except Winona Rider.

- The consensus seems to be that Urban was doing an impersonation of Kelley. I didn't see that at all. He didn't even have a Georgia accent- much less one of Kelley's generation (also my grandparent's generation). His Bones was great, but it was as new as Pine's Kirk.

- I liked that Nero was just some average working class schmuck with a big drill. No pompous accent and obsession with classical literature for that guy!

- Nimoy has still got it.

- I loved that Spock's initial assumption was that Jim Kirk had somehow come to Delta Vega to rescue him.

- Why call the planet Delta Vega? That seemed random. I wish they had taken the opportunity to put that TAS/TMP planet back in the Vulcan sky. That would have worked perfectly and would have easily explained why Spock could see Vulcan's demise so clearly.

- Scotty was right... it was exciting.
Kelso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:09 AM   #812
DaveyNY
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to DaveyNY Send a message via Yahoo to DaveyNY
Re: I want my money back!

I thought the film was very impressive, but I kinda agree with Bismarck, it's not the Trek I know and love.

But I already knew going into it, that it wasn't gonna be.

That being said, I hope that Trek XII gives Us a story/plot-line that moves the characters history's back closer to the way that We believed they should have been.

I'm not looking for something Exactly like We thought, but at least a lot closer.
I must go out in2 space again for the call of adventure cries. With a steady hand & robust crew I'll take her forth with pride. I must go out in2 space again to a vagabond Captains life. Where comets play & galaxies sway like whirlwinds in the night.
DaveyNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:10 AM   #813
bismarck_1892
Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
bismarck_1892 wrote: View Post
I'm actually suprised that more people don't feel the same way.
You're surprised that some people care more about the story than they do some geeky fictional timeline? "But, we fought WWIII in the 1990s! We really did!" Nonsense. It's been almost half a century. It's time for a reboot. You want to keep Star Trek relevent, don't you?

Now if you have criticisms of the story, that's another thing. But you can't enjoy a movie because it does fit with the fictional timeline that exists nowhere except in your head? That's nonsense.
There is fourty years of history, about tweny of which I grew up with. Its not nonsence its the fanchise I knew and loved. If the movie was better or did not alter Trek so very much, my reaction would be different... probably. :-)
bismarck_1892 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:11 AM   #814
Gojira
Commodore

I like my trek the way it was not the way they will make it.
What you're saying then is you are resistant to change.

I guess everyone is so starved they will eat anything.
People who are saying this are doing nothing more than discrediting the people who have a different opinion that yours.

You didn't like it, thank you for sharing, but you don't have to insult others when you sgare your opinion.
Old May 9 2009, 03:11 AM   #815
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.

Reopening per OP request, but I'll merge it with the Grading & Discussion thread. Hold onto your drinks, everyone...
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."

Last edited by M'Sharak; May 9 2009 at 03:39 AM.
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:16 AM   #816
Borgminister

You know if Abrams and company made such a good introductory movie, it boggles the mind what the future holds in store. Renaissance is upon us (box office willing).
Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:18 AM   #817
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Did anyone else just LOVE seeing the old TOS communicator when Kirk's mom was using it? That was perfect, I'm glad it made it in the movie.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:18 AM   #818
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Borgminister wrote: View Post
You know if Abrams and company made such a good introductory movie, it boggles the mind what the future holds in store. Renaissance is upon us (box office willing).
Amen to that!
I want to see more of this universe.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:19 AM   #819
scottydog
Admiral

View scottydog's Twitter Profile

Holy crap, this movie was FAN-FREAKING-TASTIC! I'm thrilled to see that the Star Trek franchise is alive and well and in good hands. Thank you, J. J. Abrams, for making star trek fun and intelligent again!
scottydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:20 AM   #820
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

Borgminister wrote: View Post
Obviously it was because of a good story.

My worry is though, where do they go from here? What other stories can they tell?

I mean, this movie was unique because it "reboots" Star Trek, re-writes history, changes everything, that is EPIC.

What else could they do that would top that in this new universe?

I feel like maybe they've topped themselves here.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:20 AM   #821
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Kelso wrote: View Post
- I liked that Nero was just some average working class schmuck with a big drill. No pompous accent and obsession with classical literature for that guy!
I noticed and loved that too! It especially came out in his simpler lines... "Hello, Chris." He just sort of had a creepy average dude vibe to him.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:23 AM   #822
Aragorn
Admiral

Brent wrote: View Post
Obviously it was because of a good story.

My worry is though, where do they go from here? What other stories can they tell?

I mean, this movie was unique because it "reboots" Star Trek, re-writes history, changes everything, that is EPIC.

What else could they do that would top that in this new universe?

I feel like maybe they've topped themselves here.
They can do whatever they want now. The crew is united on the bridge and just go from there. This was Batman Begins. The next movie is The Dark Knight.

Harry Mudd: "Let’s turn the clocks back. A year ago, Starfleet wouldn’t dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened? Did your -- did your balls drop off? Hmm?"
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:25 AM   #823
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Kelso wrote: View Post
I noticed and loved that too! It especially came out in his simpler lines... "Hello, Chris." He just sort of had a creepy average dude vibe to him.
Yeah. When he said that line a shiver went down my back. This guy was a little off kilter, which is what happens when your family and everything you know is destroyed.

J.
J. Allen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:26 AM   #824
erebus
Commander

Dark Journey wrote: View Post
For me, the near-complete absence of Trek's core values (social commentary and a generally hopeful view of the future) is what disappointed me.
That the essential characters where preserved and enhanced, that their noblity, teamwork, enthusiasm, eclectic individuality and general proactive attitude to life came through with new energy and youth - i think is very conducive to a vision of the kind of optimistic future society we'd like to aim for today.
erebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2009, 03:26 AM   #825
siskokid888
Fleet Captain

OK, here we go. I want to look at the film on 2 fronts - as a movie, and as Trek. First, as a movie -

It was a blast. I was entertained, the story moved, the characters were interesting, the fx were top notch. It was a little manic, but it had energy. When was the last time there was energy in a Trek movie? You could follow the story, even if you weren't a fan. (I saw it with a non-fan, and she loved it). Good music, entertaining, the whole package.

As Trek - I was sure that it wouldn't be "good" Trek, and I was willing to sacrifice that to have life breathed back into the franchise. JJ fooled me, and pulled it off - it's a good movie AND good Trek. The time travel was incidental and accidental - and they did the throwaway line that it changed everything, and you didn't need anything more. The actors, Pine especially, made the good choice not to do imitations of the originals, but I saw Kirk in Pine more than once. The idea of outcasts Kirk and Spock succeeding despite predjudice and disadvantage was enough "message" for me - showing that there is a Kirk in all of us, no matter our situation. Genuine laughs, not the forced comedy of the prior films. I (and the audience as a whole) laughed, cheered, gasped, and enjoyed. Plenty of nods to TOS, TWOK, and even ENT, but not so the non fan would be perplexed by it. I got chills when I first saw the Enterprise, and when Sulu flew her to the rescue. The supporting characters getting stuff to do. Abrams tweaking the fans and turning some Trek mythos on its head (Spock gets the babe!) Was it deep? No, but maybe Trek was not ment to be too deep, maybe more Star Wars than 2001. What did Kirk say - "IT was.....fun". And, at the end, with the dedication, I actually broke into tears, thinking about Deforest and Jimmy and Gene and Majel and how old I am now. Trek and I have grown up (and older) together. I remember being 8 years old, sitting in the Bronx on a Friday night with my Dad, watching the exploits of the heroic James T. Kirk and crew, and feeling excited, and full of wonder as the story unfolded. Trek is young again, and I can't be, but JJ made me FEEL young today, and that felt great. The nitpickers will have a field day, but I'm not getting into it. It was.......FUN. And I can only say this....

Space - the final frontier. These are the voyages of the Starship Enterprise. It's continuting mission - to explore strange new worlds. To seek out new life forms, and new civilizations. To boldly go where no one has gone before.

Fly on, Enterprise. I'll be there with you. Thanks, JJ
"Enterprise, starship, the places you've been to, the things that you've shown us, the stories you tell, Enterprise, starship we sing to your spirit and the beings that have served you so long and so well"
siskokid888 is offline   Reply With Quote