Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 09:31 PM   #736
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I gave it an Above Average but I think I'd have to classify it as "very good" or a B+.

The production value was top notch. The acting was very good for the most part and the character moments were great.

However, the plot just wasn't very good at all. It ultimately suffered from the same problem every other Trek film has: little substance, massive plot holes, forced plot points, and trite villains.

I also thought the pacing was terrible. I've never seen and of Abrams TV, all I really know of his work is MI3 and it's really clear he's not a very good director.

I'm not even going to bother with the lens flares as they've been discussed to death already.

He just doesn't seem to have the best grasp of space. (Both literal and figurative.) A lot of shots were framed poorly and some of the lighting really made things feel cramped.

Also, a lot of the exterior stuff lacked scope. I'd be the last person to praise Meyer, but at least he understood this. It's effen outer space!

I also don't like the rapid cutting. I know it's the new "thing" these days. But I've never liked it. To me that only thing that ends up getting cut is content.

This is a symptom of my biggest gripe: the awful pacing. It was like Star Trek for ADD kids.

Right from the beginning all the cutting back and forth to locations and and four time period jumps in like ten minutes really was a lot to swallow. And frankly, the whole Kirk as a kid in the Corvette bit was totally pointless. But this rapid locale and time continued throughout the film. There was never enough time to let anything sink in--especially the important parts.

These are the ones that really get me. You have these highly emotional scenes and they're basically treated as filler. Abrams failed miserably at capturing the moment with any of them. It's like, okay Mom's dead, planet blowed up, let's move on.

But his also goes back to his poor shot framing. Take that scene on the transporter with Spock. He just watched his mother die horrifically and his entire species has just pretty much been eradicated. Certainly, from the other stuff going on, I can pick up on that. But visually, it's completely vapid. After all, film is a visual medium and if I turned the sound off I really don't "get" that. For all that I could tell, Spock had just lost his dog in a transporting accident.

Then of course, we're right back to the action.

It's really too bad, because I think this could have been one of the better science fiction films of the last twenty or so years in the hands of a better director.
Old May 8 2009, 10:09 PM   #737
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

If I remember correctly he did say to Pike that he saved Romulus. I took that to mean he already visited that star and destroyed it, before coming to Vulcan for his revenge (he did have a lot of red matter)
Oh, I figured in the new reality, it was early enough that Nero or not, they could save Romulus. In the new reality, it will be saved. Vulcan won't.

In the prime timeline, Romulus won't be.

That's my whine. Either timeline, one of my two favorite planets "buys it."

I'm also not getting destroying one of the two main planets/cultures in Star Trek. It's like taking the heart out of Star Trek.

Spock will now have to ditch Uhura and pair up with one of those remaining 10,000 Vulcans. They all need to start making Vulcan babies, fast, if their race is to survive. Well, in his case, it would be a 3/4 Vulcan baby if he pairs up with a full-blooded Vulcan.

As for Nero and "revenge." OK, say he doesn't realize he's in an alternate timeline. ALL he needed to do was to go back in time and he could save Romulus. There is NO need for revenge. He could fix the original problem by destroying the sun (which I'm assuming wasn't the main Romulan sun.)

Nero's anger was due to his wife (and people) dying. If Romulus is restored by the destruction of that star-to-go-nova, bye bye anger. Why would he then give a shit about Spock being too late?

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 10:20 PM   #738
jamestyler
Commodore

View jamestyler's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to jamestyler

T'Bonz wrote: View Post
I'm also not getting destroying one of the two main planets/cultures in Star Trek. It's like taking the heart out of Star Trek.
I can see where people are coming from, it's a huge chunk taken out of the show, but it doesn't take the heart for me - sure the planets gone, but the people are still there (granted, a fucktonne less of them) and whereas in Enterprise they were shown as a race of people with a stick up their ass and a major superiority complex, we might be able to see something more cooperative to help wash that part of history away.

Plus it goes to show that, not only are they willing to make bold changes, but that nothing or no ones safe. We can't expect to see someone like, for example, Sulu live through X amount of films because he'll go on to Captain Excelsior. That certainty's gone and while we can't be sure everyone will survive however many films they'll make.

I just realised John Eaves read (and liked) my review of the film. Getting paid to watch Star Trek, then having one of my favourite Trek artists tell me he liked my work... the awesome with this movie just refuses to end.
Old May 8 2009, 10:30 PM   #739
CaptainCanada
Admiral

Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
(and is Spock going to remain in the 23rd century or go back to the 24th?)
He said he would stay and help with rebuilding Vulcan. Seems like a nice 'final project' for Spock.

- Homer Simpson
CaptainCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 10:48 PM   #740
Borgminister

CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
Captaindemotion wrote: View Post
(and is Spock going to remain in the 23rd century or go back to the 24th?)
He said he would stay and help with rebuilding Vulcan. Seems like a nice 'final project' for Spock.
Gigity.

Borgminister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 10:56 PM   #741
CorporalClegg
Admiral

Though money says Vulcan will be resurrected with in this "franchise's" run.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the major driving-force of the next film.
Old May 8 2009, 11:01 PM   #742
Ridcully
Commodore

Man that was worth the wait...could almost not wait today...been along time since any movie had me feel this way!!
Great great great crew...and so many cool moments....
Good introduction, I bet a few good stories are in store for us!
Have not been so excited since Lord of the Rings!
Old May 8 2009, 11:04 PM   #743
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

EXCELLENT

Saw it this morning, seeing it again tonight. All I can say is, Finally.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:08 PM   #744
Gertch
Admiral

Saw it during the lunch time showing today with some co-workers. About a dozen people in the theater.

I voted Excellent.

Yes, there are some things the big villain from the future could have done in his grief to actually fix the future. And yes it was too easy to have the villain be from the future in a mining ship that in the past almost outmatches anything else.

I liked how they made use of character elements we're used to even though they didn't have to. They did a good job of showing this is an alternate timeline so they don't have to worry about canon going forward.

I'm looking forward to more!!!
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:08 PM   #745
CorporalClegg
Admiral

One other thing: was anyone else put off by all the really contrived Kill/remove guy to insert character bits? It was even worse than "Caretaker" in this regard.

I mean come on, yup the most incompetent communications officer in Starfleet gets assigned to the Flagship only to be quickly removed for a cadet.
Old May 8 2009, 11:09 PM   #746
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

CorporalClegg wrote: View Post
Though money says Vulcan will be resurrected with in this "franchise's" run.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it's the major driving-force of the next film.
I hope not. That's not to say I wouldn't see it, or pre-judge it, but Star Trek had the balls to do something big and change up the whole thing for once, and I wouldn't like to see a u-turn.
Old May 8 2009, 11:09 PM   #747
Brent
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Brent Send a message via AIM to Brent Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Brent

One thing I liked, Uhura saying an "alternate reality", it drives a stake in the ground that says yes, this is a new universe for sure. It works for me, our star trek still exists in an another reality, and now the audience is watching this new reality, we just aren't able to see the old one anymore, works for me.

My Let's Play Series of STO - http://www.youtube.com/user/JustGaming4Us
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 11:09 PM   #748
Mysterion
Rear Admiral

Well, that was better than I had expected it to be.

A lot of fun. Note to Berman and Braga: THIS is what a "valentine to the fans" looks like, okay? On the one hand it is a reboot opening the world of ST up to all sorts of possibilities for years to come. On the other hand, I think it is also a nice homage to the TOS we all know and love. Somehwere in a basement in New Jersey, James Dixon is finally having the massive brain cramp that ends his life, I suspect.

Bruce Greenwood rocks as Captain Pike. I very much hope we've not seen the last of him in any future movies. Also, did you notice his admiral's uniform in the promotion scene? Very similar to the uniform worn by Shatner as Admiral Kirk in the early part of ST:TMP.

Urban's McCoy is eerily similar to Deforrest Kelly without it being a hokey imitation. Simon Pegg's Scotty is a lot of fun. Wonder who the little guy following him around is, why he's there, and where he came from.

Quinto is a fantastic Spock in this movie, and so is Nimoy. I like Chris Pine's Kirk a lot more than i thought I would from what I had seen in the trailers.

The Enterprise looks pretty good here in motion. the stills released earlier this year didn't do it justice. My only quible is the engine room sets which just don't fit the look of the rest of the sets we see, and also doesn't really look like it should fit inside the ship we see from the outside.

It will be very interesting to see where future iterations of Trek go from here.

I will probably go see this again before the weekend is over.
Old May 8 2009, 11:15 PM   #749
flcat
Fleet Captain

I can understand why some fans of the old show might be upset by the changes. It's like somebody rewriting Harper Lee's "To Kill A Mockingbird" to make it more "accessible" to modern readers. I had similar beefs with Battlestar Galactica. If you're going to make it something different from the original...why call it Battlestar Galactica if not for some kind of commercial tie-in?

That said, I enjoyed the movie for what it was, a Star-Wars-esque summer action-romp. I thought everyone did a decent to good job with their characters, in particular Karl Urban as McCoy. I wasn't as overwhelmed by Pine as some here seem to be. To me, he seemed to be playing Brad Pitt playing Captain Kirk...but that's just my take. I think the movie will do well enough that we'll see at least a sequel or two.
Old May 8 2009, 11:28 PM   #750
Gertch
Admiral

Mysterion wrote: View Post
Quinto is a fantastic Spock in this movie, and so is Nimoy.
Thanks for reminding me - I was very afraid I would only see Sylar from Quinto's performance. Not because of him really but from myself. I'm happy to report that he did such a wonderful job I totally bought him as Spock.

I agree about Nimoy. It was great to see him and as always his performance was well done.

I can't wait til the next film, The Search For Vulcan.
Gertch is offline   Reply With Quote