Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 07:02 PM   #691
thesadpanda
Commander

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

cooket wrote: View Post
J.J. Abrams Raped Star Trek. Seriously, he took the series and had his way with it.
I think it was consensual.
thesadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:02 PM   #692
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Bob The Skutter wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
ST-One wrote: View Post
Just for the record, Marty McFly's adventures are three of my favourite movies.
So what's the problem?
I think his point was the logic of the time travel in BTTF gave you no trouble, why does it bother you in this. But I'm just guessing.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:02 PM   #693
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

View Bob The Skutter's Twitter Profile

So what's the problem?
I think his point was the logic of the time travel in BTTF gave you no trouble, why does it bother you in this. But I'm just guessing.
Well again as I said yesterday, the time travel element isn't the main reason I didn't enjoy it. The main reason is I myself just found it boring. Scenes that were meant to be action packed and exciting simply didn't work for me. I wasn't invested in the characters and the plot became far too predictable and by the numbers.
I have no problem with people disliking it for their own reasons, I was just saying what I took from his comments.
Honestly I do think all these complaints about it ruining continuity or the future not happening now to be daft, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Old May 8 2009, 07:05 PM   #694
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

Since it's being brought up, I would like to point out that I whole-heartedly approve of the lack of a reset button. Normal Trek resets/ cop-outs are pretty bad, but to do something this big and make that many changes, I would have been pissed if they had Old Spock fix everything or some cheap crap like that.

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:07 PM   #695
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Since it's being brought up, I would like to point out that I whole-heartedly approve of the lack of a reset button. Normal Trek resets/ cop-outs are pretty bad, but to do something this big and make that many changes, I would have been pissed if they had Old Spock fix everything or some cheap crap like that.
Me too, but this being Star Trek I was expecting it to reset at the end.
Old May 8 2009, 07:14 PM   #696
archeryguy1701
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 wrote: View Post
Me too, but this being Star Trek I was expecting it to reset at the end.
I guess we can count our blessings or should we wait for the sequel just to be sure?

Sometimes you just gotta roll the hard six- Bill Adama
archeryguy1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:16 PM   #697
FTV
Cadet

Man, I'm so glad I'm not someone that wasn't able to enjoy this movie because dang is it nice enjoying something this much.
FTV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:36 PM   #698
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

FTV wrote: View Post
Man, I'm so glad I'm not someone that wasn't able to enjoy this movie because dang is it nice enjoying something this much.
That's the truth...I went out with friends, enjoyed discussing the minutae of Trek before the movie...watched, laughed, clapped and cheered the film for what it was and was thoroughly entertained the whole time. And now we've got a whole new Trek universe to delve into...not just to find the niggling details (although as a Trekkie, I'm sure I'll manage that too), but to see brand new stories and brand new directions that we'd have never, ever gotten to see on film under different circumstances. And I'm truly excited about the direction of Star Trek from this point forward for the first time in a very long time.
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:52 PM   #699
Rageforthemachine
Rear Admiral

Considering how deeply we have gotten into some very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about alternate timelines, parallel universes, canon, and continuity can't that in itself be proof that Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams failed to create a really coherent motion picture that succeeded in presenting its story and its internal logic well? Once again I think this points out that the use of time travel as a plot device in Sci-Fi has really come to a dead end.
Old May 8 2009, 07:55 PM   #700
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

Dark Journey wrote: View Post
Considering how deeply we have gotten into some very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about alternate timelines, parallel universes, canon, and continuity can't that in itself be proof that Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams failed to create a really coherent motion picture that succeeded in presenting its story and its internal logic well?
No, it can be taken as proof that Trekkies will debate endlessly over stupid shit, and will in the end always come away thinking everyone else is wrong and they are right.
Old May 8 2009, 07:56 PM   #701
SJSharksfan39
Admiral

View SJSharksfan39's Twitter Profile

Considering how deeply we have gotten into some very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about alternate timelines, parallel universes, canon, and continuity can't that in itself be proof that Orci, Kurtzman, and Abrams failed to create a really coherent motion picture that succeeded in presenting its story and its internal logic well?
No, it can be taken as proof that Trekkies will debate endlessly over stupid shit, and will in the end always come away thinking everyone else is wrong and they are right.
We've been "debating over stupid shit" for the last 40+ years. This is nothing new.
SJSharksfan39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:56 PM   #702
ParticleMan
Fleet Captain

If the ability of we Trek fans to get into very long, divisive, and often convoluted arguments about pretty much anything is a measuring stick of the quality of any part of the Trek franchise or any other, then we're in a heap of trouble...
ParticleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:57 PM   #703
thesadpanda
Commander

Hear, hear!
thesadpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 07:59 PM   #704
Bob The Skutter
Service Droid

tomalak301 wrote: View Post
We've been "debating over stupid shit" for the last 40+ years. This is nothing new.
My point exactly.
Old May 8 2009, 08:01 PM   #705
ConRefit79
Captain

Last night someone asked what was the message of this film. I think it was on another thread. I could not come up with one right away. But after sleeping on it, I think they were trying to say major elements of the universe will unfold in a specific way. Meaning there is such a thing as a destiny. For example, despite Kirk's father not being there to influence him, he ends up joining SF. Sure he joined later than the original time line, 22 - 25yo. He still meets and befriends Bones and Spock. He still becomes Captain of the Enterprise, and the youngest Captain in SF. I still think they should have flash fwded 5 - 8 yrs before making him Captain.

The other message I think they tried to convey was, circumstances do not dictate your fate. He was a troubled kid and had no direction. Pike challenged him and he chose to better himself.
ConRefit79 is offline   Reply With Quote