RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,766
Posts: 5,216,694
Members: 24,218
Currently online: 677
Newest member: momogila

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 704 63.08%
Above Average 210 18.82%
Average 83 7.44%
Below Average 43 3.85%
Poor 76 6.81%
Voters: 1116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 8 2009, 12:35 PM   #571
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I really loved the scene between Kirk and McCoy on the shuttle, and we finally find out why McCoy goes by the nickname "Bones".


-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:44 PM   #572
RAMA
Vice Admiral
 
RAMA's Avatar
 
Location: NJ, USA
Re: Disappointed (Spoilers)

Interesting. At a ST forum the percentage of top rating is just under 70% but on Box Office Mojo, a general site, its almost 85%!
__________________
It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. Carl Sagan
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:57 PM   #573
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: Disappointed (Spoilers)

RAMA wrote: View Post
Interesting. At a ST forum the percentage of top rating is just under 70% but on Box Office Mojo, a general site, its almost 85%!

I think that is reasonable, Trek fans are by their nature going to be harder on the film then the general audience.


Oh, and Kirk still doesn't know how to drive a car..lol

-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:00 PM   #574
Australis
Writer
 
Australis's Avatar
 
Location: The Electric Age
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

As i said in the Latin phrase thread (wherever it was), about canonistas, and applying to to Trek fans, queritor ergo sum
__________________
"… Times change, and so must I… we all change. When you think about it, we are all different people, all through our lives and that’s okay, that’s good! You've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
Australis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:03 PM   #575
Rebel69
Ensign
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I'm truly truly shocked and appauled by what I've read here today. You people call yourselves Star Trek fans? Absurd, ridiculous.

I thought the movie was fantastic, if you're not a Star Trek fan and don't care about the events of TOS, TNG, DS9, VGR or the movies, but I for one DO care about those events, which may now never take place!

The destruction of the USS Kelvin and the destruction of Vulcan would have serious repercussions on future events, so the future of the Star Trek universe which we are intimitely familiar with is now gone. It's impossible to tell exactly how these events will affect the Star Trek timeline, but one example is as follows:

Vulcan is destroyed so there's a strong possibility that Tuvok will never be born,
if Tuvok is never born, he will not be undercover on Chakotays Maquis ship when it becomes stranded in the Delta quadrant,
and if that's the case,
then Voyager won't be sent to look for him so Voyager won't be stranded in the Delta quadrant as well,
so everything we've seen and loved about Voyager has been erased from history, it never happened, and yet, the majority of people in here seem happy enough to accept this because the movie was visually stunning with emotional sequences.

I don't get it, I enjoyed the movie, it had humour, action, emotion and it WAS enjoyable to watch, but at the same time, they've completely erased Star Trek history as we know it. For all we know, Picard will never be born as a result of some knock on effect, or Rikers mother won't die and he'll never enter Starfleet, it's impossible to tell just how bad it is. I can understand how people would think that this creates excitment, after all, a blank future could be painted in any way at all, and before anyone tells me I'm small minded and I want predictable films which I already know the conclusions of, you're wrong, I want to be surprised, I want to be shocked, but I don't want to see the last 40 years wiped away just so J.J Abrams can sell movie tickets. Gene Roddenberry would NOT be happy about this, it destroys almost everything he created. This was not a Star Trek movie, it was a movie with character names from Star Trek, nothing more.
For starters, Spock sarcastically telling the Vulcan council members to 'Live Long & Prosper' was completely out of character. When have we ever seen Spock behave like that? Uhura is a cheeky bitch, she was always so respectful and slightly timid at times, this new Uhura bore no similarity to the original character. The only character in this movie who was anything like the opriginal character was Dr McCoy, in his manner, his speech and his actions. And what was with the relationship between Spock & Sarek??? Sarek was very understanding to Spock, they seemed fairly close to eachother, and to top it off, Sarek (who looked really old compared to his character in the 70's) admitted to having an emotional attachment to Amanda (who by the way looked far too young to have an adult son). What was that all about? Sarek and Spock had a turbulent relationship which didn't really improve much until after the events of the Voyage Home. You can't say that the destruction of the Kelvin in some way affected Spock & Sareks relationship, the chances of that are HIGHLY unlikely, so why is their relationship different in this movie?

I hate doing this, I care so much about Star Trek and what it represents, but it seems that people have forgotten all about that now, it's all about money now, thats as evident as Spocks lobes, I mean Star Trek history indicates that there was a 3rd world war in the mid 21st century, 600 million dead, very few governments left, and then after first contact with the Vulcans everything changes, technology improves, we begin exploring space etc etc, but somehow, through the war and all the rest of it, Nokia seems to survive, and are still using that ridiculous ringtone, can anyone explain that? Paramount probably can, with dollar signs.

I feel like screaming, I have no-one else to talk to about this except in online forums, I hope there are at least a few people out there who agree with me, but I feel sorry for those who don't, I can't understand why you're happy to see the Star Trek universe scrapped and replaced.
Rebel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:07 PM   #576
Jessop
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Rebel, you seem to have totally missed the whole scene on the bridge where the characters practically break the fourth wall and shove the fact that this is an alternate universe down your throat. This change in the timeline isn't overwriting what came before it, it's a seperate and distinct universe now, like the Mirror Universe exists along side the 'prime universe'.
Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:19 PM   #577
Rebel69
Ensign
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jessop wrote: View Post
Rebel, you seem to have totally missed the whole scene on the bridge where the characters practically break the fourth wall and shove the fact that this is an alternate universe down your throat. This change in the timeline isn't overwriting what came before it, it's a seperate and distinct universe now, like the Mirror Universe exists along side the 'prime universe'.

I didn't miss anything, Spock postulated that the alternate universe concept was a possibility, of course we've seen in Star Trek, postulated by Data, that an old theory stated that everything that can happen, does happen, in alternate quantum universes, so every single action and event in Star Trek can exist differently in alternate realities. It doesn't change anything, Nero travelled into the past, he didn't cross over into an alternate reality, his actions changed an already existing timeline, and in alternate universes maybe he didnt come back in time, maybe he never existed, there are unending possibilities, but the fact remains, they've taken our Star Trek and turned it off in a direction which destroys what we know is coming and that saddens me. We've been watching events in the Star Trek universe for 40 years now and they've been part of one universe which has now been changed, as I've explained.
Rebel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:19 PM   #578
KirkusOveractus
Captain
 
KirkusOveractus's Avatar
 
Location: Ambler, PA
Send a message via AIM to KirkusOveractus
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Well, I saw the movie last night, in an almost full theatre. The crowd was a great mix, all ages and races, some were probably fans and others looked to be there to see what they've seen ads for.

I can't right now put fully into words completely how I thought of the movie, but all I can say is: WOW. It was truly an amazing movie, hitting the hallmarks of what I loved about Star Trek in the first place: that it's fun. Fun to visit old friends and go on a great adventure with them. I felt like I was back at 7 or 8 years old, discovering the original series for the first time (anyone remember the 5 volume set that Paramount Home Video released, which had 2 episodes per tape? We had those).

All I will say directly about the movie is that I was almost in tears when the very beginning part was coming to its conclusion. What a way to grab you and hold you for what's to come.

Simply an amazing movie. I loved it, and it IS Star Trek. It's back, and it made it's presence felt very well.
KirkusOveractus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:22 PM   #579
Jessop
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Rebel69 wrote: View Post
Jessop wrote: View Post
Rebel, you seem to have totally missed the whole scene on the bridge where the characters practically break the fourth wall and shove the fact that this is an alternate universe down your throat. This change in the timeline isn't overwriting what came before it, it's a seperate and distinct universe now, like the Mirror Universe exists along side the 'prime universe'.

I didn't miss anything, Spock postulated that the alternate universe concept was a possibility, of course we've seen in Star Trek, postulated by Data, that an old theory stated that everything that can happen, does happen, in alternate quantum universes, so every single action and event in Star Trek can exist differently in alternate realities. It doesn't change anything, Nero travelled into the past, he didn't cross over into an alternate reality, his actions changed an already existing timeline, and in alternate universes maybe he didnt come back in time, maybe he never existed, there are unending possibilities, but the fact remains, they've taken our Star Trek and turned it off in a direction which destroys what we know is coming and that saddens me. We've been watching events in the Star Trek universe for 40 years now and they've been part of one universe which has now been changed, as I've explained.
Sorry but you are wrong, go read an interview with the writers, since they've reiterated in practically every single one of them that this IS an alternate universe, which diverged from the prime timeline at the point Nero initially emerged.
Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:24 PM   #580
cbspock
Rear Admiral
 
cbspock's Avatar
 
Location: San Antonio, TX
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

KirkusOveractus wrote: View Post
Well, I saw the movie last night, in an almost full theatre. The crowd was a great mix, all ages and races, some were probably fans and others looked to be there to see what they've seen ads for.

I can't right now put fully into words completely how I thought of the movie, but all I can say is: WOW. It was truly an amazing movie, hitting the hallmarks of what I loved about Star Trek in the first place: that it's fun. Fun to visit old friends and go on a great adventure with them. I felt like I was back at 7 or 8 years old, discovering the original series for the first time (anyone remember the 5 volume set that Paramount Home Video released, which had 2 episodes per tape? We had those).

All I will say directly about the movie is that I was almost in tears when the very beginning part was coming to its conclusion. What a way to grab you and hold you for what's to come.

Simply an amazing movie. I loved it, and it IS Star Trek. It's back, and it made it's presence felt very well.

That is the way I felt as well. It was like discovering the original series for the first time again. The scene between old Spock and Kirk was very touching.."I have been and always shall be your friend", "But you hate me" .lol

The way I felt after seeing this Trek was the way I wanted to feel after Star Wars 1,2,3..which I didn't. Those 3 films fell flat, and missed all the marks that made 4,5,6 great.

JJ nailed all the little beats that made the original tv/movie series what it was, and flushed everything that made modern trek (TNG, VOY, ENT) bad old and tired.

-Chris
__________________
"It's important to give it all you have while you have the chance."-Shania
cbspock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:29 PM   #581
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jessop wrote: View Post
Sorry but you are wrong, go read an interview with the writers, since they've reiterated in practically every single one of them that this IS an alternate universe, which diverged from the prime timeline at the point Nero initially emerged.
But except for books read by about ten thousand people and the odd comicbook that universe is gone - to the general public, what they have just seen *is* the Star Trek Universe.
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:30 PM   #582
Jessop
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Yes, and for those people they have the entire scene that explains pretty clearly that these events are now unfolding in an alternate timeline created by Nero's meddling.
Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:34 PM   #583
Rebel69
Ensign
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jessop wrote: View Post
Rebel69 wrote: View Post
Jessop wrote: View Post
Rebel, you seem to have totally missed the whole scene on the bridge where the characters practically break the fourth wall and shove the fact that this is an alternate universe down your throat. This change in the timeline isn't overwriting what came before it, it's a seperate and distinct universe now, like the Mirror Universe exists along side the 'prime universe'.

I didn't miss anything, Spock postulated that the alternate universe concept was a possibility, of course we've seen in Star Trek, postulated by Data, that an old theory stated that everything that can happen, does happen, in alternate quantum universes, so every single action and event in Star Trek can exist differently in alternate realities. It doesn't change anything, Nero travelled into the past, he didn't cross over into an alternate reality, his actions changed an already existing timeline, and in alternate universes maybe he didnt come back in time, maybe he never existed, there are unending possibilities, but the fact remains, they've taken our Star Trek and turned it off in a direction which destroys what we know is coming and that saddens me. We've been watching events in the Star Trek universe for 40 years now and they've been part of one universe which has now been changed, as I've explained.
Sorry but you are wrong, go read an interview with the writers, since they've reiterated in practically every single one of them that this IS an alternate universe, which diverged from the prime timeline at the point Nero initially emerged.

You could argue that everytime we've seen a change in the timeline in Star Trek that it's an alternate universe, such as the events in First Contact and TNG episode 'Yesterdays Enterprise' but what makes this one different? What makes this an alternate universe as oppose to a severe change in the timeline of this universe? Just because the writers have said it? I'm afraid not mate, they're saying that to make Star Trek fans happy while they sell the film to a new audience, time travel is time travel, there was nothing in the movie itself to prove that this is an alternate universe, just because Spock says that it's probably an alternate universe doesn't mean that it is, and just because the writers say it's an alternate universe doesn't mean that it is. And even if it were proven to be an alternate universe, that means one thing, the Star Trek franchise is dead, there is no more of the 'Prime Universe' as you describe it, only this new franchise in what you're describing as an alternate reality.
Rebel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:39 PM   #584
Jessop
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

but what makes this one different?
The fact that the temporal time police didn't turn up to correct it, perhaps? It is different. Your argument would hold some water if Star Trek had portrayed time travel in only one way, but it hasn't and this interpretation is as valid as any.
Jessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 01:47 PM   #585
Rebel69
Ensign
 
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Jessop wrote: View Post
but what makes this one different?
The fact that the temporal time police didn't turn up to correct it, perhaps? It is different. Your argument would hold some water if Star Trek had portrayed time travel in only one way, but it hasn't and this interpretation is as valid as any.

But it wasn't portrayed differently. A guy goes back in time and fucks everything up, old Spock follows him, there is nothing in the movie PROVING this to be an alternate reality, how can it be proven? It can't. You're trying to justify what they've done with the francise but whatever the writers say means nothing unless it's showed on screen, which it isn't, and a conversation on the bridge doesn't prove it either. If this truly were an alternate relaity, old Spock would realise he doesn't belong there and try to find someway of getting back to his own reality where he does belong. How can you blindly accept this nonesense?
Rebel69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.