RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,700
Members: 24,208
Currently online: 703
Newest member: meshman63

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 704 63.08%
Above Average 210 18.82%
Average 83 7.44%
Below Average 43 3.85%
Poor 76 6.81%
Voters: 1116. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 8 2009, 03:58 AM   #421
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Nero put me in mind of that guy in the Year Of Hell episode from Voyager, who was trying to fix time to get his wife back.

I wish the scene with Amanda and Sarek hadn't ended up on the cutting room floor. The one where Spock was a baby.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 03:59 AM   #422
Zeppster
Commodore

The only thing that keeps it from excellent for me is that it deviates from the Star Trek I know and love from watching it for years. I love classic Star Trek too much. But this is a different Star Trek. I do think it could go somewhere else and improve itself and have it's own future. That is the good thing.

Here's my full review

The characters were pretty on point outside of a few key differences.

Kirk was a rebel not the pretty disciplined well polished officer that only bent rules when he knew it was right to. This was a rebel Kirk.

The young Spock was a perfect Spock. Almost haunting how much Quinto is like Nimoy was 40+ years ago. And Nimoy himself knows how to play Spock.

Uhura was a lot spicier than the Uhura we all know. Especially in the show. She has a lot of spunk.

Scotty was more humor he didn't really show the professional he was in the show. He seemed to be there for comedy only.

The guy that played Chekov was good for the role. He was a good choice and the moments where his accent got in the way were really good comedic moments.

The guy playing Pike was also solid, But there really isn't much to go on with Jeff Hunter's role because he only did one episode.

Bones was a perfect Bones. Urban really channelled his inner De Kelly, he played the role just like I imagined Bones to always be.

There were some plothole mistakes but that's Sci Fi for you. It's not even sure if faster than warp speed travel or teleporter technology is even possible at this point so technically all of Star Trek has a big plot hole there since every show uses both of those.

The Romulans all having tatoos was kind of unnecessary. But the time travel thing was done well and it rarely is. Star Trek has been able to make time travel work in it's past and other than changing the TOS canon stuff we all love this one worked.

I didn't like that they put both McCoy and Kirk in the academy at the same time since it was always inferred that McCoy was older, and I didn't like that Vulcan was destroyed, and that everyone of the stars goes from being cadets to being commisioned officers for some reason, but everything about this reality is different. This was not about expanding on past Star Trek it was about creating a new future for Star Trek and it did that job real well. Yes it hurts the cannon of Trek. But it's creating it's own cannon and hopefully new series and movies will come from it.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:09 AM   #423
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
It's about time somebody made a movie out of that Star Trek show from the 60s.
Absolutely Right™.

Holy Fuck. I don't feel like I've waited three years for this movie - feels more like forty.

I'm going to see it again tomorrow and maybe again over the weekend.

A couple of the young adults I was with this evening were in tears by the opening title.

I have no complaints, no nitpicks, no criticisms to make right now. I'm sure that over time a few will occur to me. Maybe.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:12 AM   #424
ialfan
Fleet Captain

Zeppster wrote: View Post
I didn't like that they put both McCoy and Kirk in the academy at the same time since it was always inferred that McCoy was older
That was one thing that made perfect sense to me. McCoy was a civilian doctor before he entered starfleet after his divorce as explained in the movie. Hence him being in the same class as Kirk but older.
ialfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:16 AM   #425
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

EXCELLENT

A+

10/10

****stars

I mean really I found nothing to not like about this movie. I was fully prepared to nitpick it to death but really this movie, or series of movies with this timeline, is ripe for possibilities. I was fully prepared for Nimoy's Spock to die and when he not only didn't die but had a larger than just cameo role I was jazzed.

The divergence aside I have my own geek ideas of how this series can bring in new viewers/fans to Trek and then one day(maybe for Treks 50th Anniversary) they can "put right what once went wrong" and realign with Trek lore.

At any rate I'm going to need to see this again. I saw the 7pm opening IMAX showing tonight. It sold out and so did the 10pm. The clerk told me the midnight show was near selling out and I wouldn't be surprised if between 6pm(when i got to the theater) and midnight that it doesn't sell out.

The Quinto Spock/Uhuara love element caught me off guard. All those promos were cleverly edited to make it appear it was a Kirk/Uhuara make out session.

I do believe the USS Kelvin gave us a nod to the TAS by giving us an Arex type crewmember on the bridge of the Kelvin. At least thats what it looked like to me, anyone else(I'll read thru the thread in a sec).

Thats just for starters will comment more later.

Thank you JJAbrams & Co. for such a great film!!

P.S. - This is a true Valentine to the fans!
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:16 AM   #426
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I smiled every time I even caught sight of Urban on screen. He was marvelous.
Old May 8 2009, 04:17 AM   #427
Johnhead99
Lieutenant Commander

Here is my quick review.

1) It is like no other Trek to date.

2) I laughed more in this film than any other to date.

3) I thought they did an EXCELLENT job explaining that the Star TRek we know today is fine and alive, and that this timeline, the jj timeline, is going to play itself out differently. Sets them up for some awesome novels and future films.

4) It was the first Star Trek film that my wife enjoyed as much as I did.

5) The characters were all fantastic.

6) I'll be going to watch it a second time in theaters.

7) It isn't all positive. I wish it would have named a new race or a new world of sorts. There really was no exploring...

8) Product placement should stay out of Trek films.

Last edited by Johnhead99; May 8 2009 at 02:44 PM.
Johnhead99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:17 AM   #428
Zeppster
Commodore

Dennis wrote: View Post
I smiled every time I even caught sight of Urban on screen. He was marvelous.
I agree he's the real McCoy.
Zeppster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:20 AM   #429
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

I can't wait to see it again on Saturday.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:23 AM   #430
firefox390
Lieutenant

I got to be honest with you guys.
I have mixed feelings about this film. In other words...why Vulcan?! There’s a lot of things on my mind right now: a few things that I love about this film, and a few things that really upsets me. I’ll formulate a review as soon as I can. Overall, I think this film has to be among the top 3 greatest Trek films along with STII and STVI.
Grade: 3 out of 4.
firefox390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:24 AM   #431
Trekologist
Ensign

My GOODNESS!

That movie was amazing! Both starships really had the look and feel of the future! I also thought that I would hate the engineering sets, but I didn't! :-) I loved them! I also loved the Enterprise, the actors, and that wierd three nacelled starship! And the WARP EFFECT!

And the KELVIN: LOVED the overlays of the viewscreen onto the windows, and POOR CAPTAIN ROBAU! TERMINATED! OOH! VICIOUS!!!

But, is anyone else mourning the destruction of VULCAN?!?!? I'm still trying to soak it all IN!!!!
MY HEART CANNOT TAKE ALL THIS! This is SO MUCH to soak IN!

I just saw the movie at 7; going back to the 12 am latenight showing to take it all in again!
NCC 0514 works... that's assuming all of the numbers from 000 to 999 have been used, and Starfleet starts renumbering at 0001... so that's why the USS Kelvin is can... WHAT AM I SAYING! Let's see the MOVIE ALREADY!
Trekologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:27 AM   #432
superdeluxe
Captain

you guys suck lol. I can't see it till saturday

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:32 AM   #433
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Trekologist wrote: View Post
My GOODNESS!

That movie was amazing! Both starships really had the look and feel of the future! I also thought that I would hate the engineering sets, but I didn't! :-) I loved them! I also loved the Enterprise, the actors, and that wierd three nacelled starship! And the WARP EFFECT!

And the KELVIN: LOVED the overlays of the viewscreen onto the windows, and POOR CAPTAIN ROBAU! TERMINATED! OOH! VICIOUS!!!
All amazing. Yeah, the Engineering set turned out not to bother me at all - okay, there was one moment where a hand-turn valve was rather prominent on the right-hand side of the screen that took me out for a moment. I just chuckled; call it "Finney's wrench."
Old May 8 2009, 04:36 AM   #434
DeafPoet
Rear Admiral

Excellent.

One of my beefs is that there wasn't enough of everything! My other beef is that the science (both real and Trek-based) is bullshit. I didn't expect to agree with Roger Ebert on that one.

That said, everything else was fucking phenomenal. Chris Pine is going to be too big to do a sequel in a couple years, I fear. The dude is a born movie star. He didn't do Shatner but there were enough nods in there that I could see who he was. I first noticed it in the scene with Scotty in the pipes in Engineering. The way he said "Mista Scott" made me realize he did his fucking research. Also, by the end of the film when he's sprawled out over the chair, he's channelling Shatner slightly more than he was during the bulk of the film. Don't care. Shatner's my Kirk, but you know what? So is Chris Pine.

Zachary Quinto was the standout, though. He played what we always suspected what was happening with Spock. When he smashed that terminal in "Amok Time" we had an inkling that Spock wasn't as together as he claimed. Quinto shows it. But he still manages to be our old, logical Spock. My one beef with the Spock storyline was that it could have used one or two more scenes with Winona Ryder's Amanda. She acquitted herself well with what she had but the crux of Spock's dilemma is the death of his mother (and his planet) and 5 minutes more of that would have been wicked.

Karl Urban was perfect as Bones. I rolled my eyes when I heard he was cast but I'll eat a smorgasbord of crow over it. Once again my complaint is that there should have been more of him. But he was freaking amazing.

The rest of the cast was really good too. And they all got their moments. Although I found Yelchin's accent distracting. Koenig was never unintelligible like he was at times.

Also, points for the Spock/Uhura business. It seems like sacrilege, sure but it makes total sense. Especially given Sarek's reasoning for marrying Amanda.

What pissed me off? Not much. But Black Holes are death machines, not portals. Why did Nero die in one at the end but was transported by one at the beginning? That was pretty much the only element of hard science touched on so my complaints end there.

My Trek-science-and-universe complaints are similarly few. Isn't the warp core supposed to be a single thing as opposed to several? The Federation is more government than armada. Delta Vega in orbit around Vulcan's star? Three or four minutes from Earth to Vulcan?

But this is all nitpicky shit. I went to see the characters I love and I got them in spades. I loved JJ Abrams anyway because of Lost. That love is now unconditional. Show me Star Trek XII!

Buckle up.
DeafPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 04:39 AM   #435
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

I'd heard so much about Yelchin's accent in advance that I was surprised to not be bothered by it. It's really only very silly during the "Victor" gag; I thought it was generally better than Koenig's, though laid on just as thickly.