Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old May 7 2009, 06:13 PM   #1
Captain Al
Commander

What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

And I don't mean "collecting and never using."

I was born in 1970 into a "Star Trek family," that is, my mom and dad and sister all watched it, so by default I did, too, although I didn't really understand it.

But I had the toys.

We had plastic phasers, which as I recall were really cool and made with tough plastic.

I had a "bridge/transporter" set with large Kirk and Spock dolls. On the bridge was this round thing you spun that was supposed to simulate the transporter. I remember the doll always flying out.

I also remember losing all of Kirk's clothes. (Much like he does in the series, har!)

I had this toy that had an Enterprise, with a fan underneath the saucer, that was attached to this long, metal rod that spun around a central motor, and you were supposed to "fly" the Enterprise around in a circle to pick up stuff. Anyone remember this?

I wish I still had these things, especially the phasers.
Captain Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:16 PM   #2
DS9forever
Fleet Captain

Re: What Star Trek toys did you grow up playing with?

It was Micro Machines for me. I never had the Defiant, which annoys me to this day.
DS9forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:19 PM   #3
GotNoRice
Fleet Captain

It was all about the Star Trek Micro-Machines

The little Enterprise-D model even had a detachable saucer.

Though it bugged me that they were all the same size and not to scale, so things like a borg cube, the Enterprise-D, a K'Vort class and a B'Rel class Bird of Prey were all the exact same size.
GotNoRice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I had one Mego doll... of Kirk. After I got it, I found it silly because I could tell it looked very little like Shatner. I can't begin to describe what happened to it, as it brings me to tears when I think of the value.

I had the Dinky Toys Enterprise. Yep, that ugly big white metal hunk of inaccuracy. Plastic bits fell off and the white paint got heavily chipped as my friend and I subjected it to all kinds of "stress tests". That was my big problem... as kid I could tell when the design of things was just so wrong. I built the AMT Explorer Set and despite a reasonably good paint job, was infuriated with the stupid communicator lid hinges that broke after only a few uses. The tricorder wasn't bad, but too small. And the phaser looked like a box with knobs and a handle. I did find it rather amusing that the Animated Star Trek series seemed to copy that explorer set--the phaser looked nearly identical!

The "phaser" toy copies that were made were pitiful. Big, ugly, and so inaccurate, with large raised "Star Trek" lettering emblazoned on the sides. In one case, they took a "James Bond 007" plastic pellet gun and converted it to fire these colored discs, then packaged it in a box with Star Trek labeling and photos of Kirk and Spock. As if this was used on the show! Ridiculous.

Nah... in the 70's we were cursed with junk for Star Trek toys. If we'd gotten something like the Art Asylum phaser, it would have been Star Trek euphoria. The really annoying thing is that it didn't take any special technology to make it--only someone dedicated to accuracy.
Gary7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:32 PM   #5
Captain Al
Commander

Gary7 wrote: View Post

Nah... in the 70's we were cursed with junk for Star Trek toys.
You're clouding my happy notalgia! When I was seven, I loved those toys.

I've never seen the micro machines toys, though.

I have seen those "phasers" that shoot out the discs, but I never owned one.
Captain Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:48 PM   #6
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Playmates - ships, figures and playsets. Mostly TNG, but also the TOS Enterprise and Romulan BoP, and DS9 itself. The TNG bridge playset rocked, and so did engineering. I also always loved the D'Deridex toy.

DS9forever wrote: View Post
It was Micro Machines for me. I never had the Defiant, which annoys me to this day.
You didn't miss a lot. The top looked good, but the bottom was inaccurate.

GotNoRice wrote: View Post
It was all about the Star Trek Micro-Machines

The little Enterprise-D model even had a detachable saucer.

Though it bugged me that they were all the same size and not to scale, so things like a borg cube, the Enterprise-D, a K'Vort class and a B'Rel class Bird of Prey were all the exact same size.
That irked me too. And, the version of the Enterprise-D that separated is a more rare version, IIRC.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 09:21 PM   #7
TigerOfDarkness
Fleet Captain

There weren't that many around, but I had an AMT Enterprise kit and also made my own smaller Enterprise from balsa wood.
Old May 7 2009, 11:18 PM   #8
miraclefan
Commodore

I had the old GALOOB star trek figs and die-cast ent-D from that series, as well as the Micro Machines (almost all of them) several trek kits, star trek generations figures, I had the VERY rare star trek classic figures with cardboard ''bridge'' and the playmates TREK movie collection where they had Kirk and crew in there TMP uniforms and each had a piece of the V'GER probe so when you had all of them you could build a mini V'GER which at the time I thought was pretty KICK-ASS!. I think that's about it.

THEY WERE THE JUDGES!
miraclefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:24 PM   #9
iguana_tonante
Admiral

My penis. What? It's set to stun!
Old May 7 2009, 11:30 PM   #10
Daneel
Rear Admiral

I had some assorted Playmates action figures of the TNG crew. I also had a toy hand phaser and tricorder (again TNG -- this would have been the early-to-mid-90s), which were nice touches when I went out for Halloween once dressed as Data.

There was also a toy version of the Enterprise-D that I owned... actually, I think I still have that somewhere. I'll have to look around for it. I remember that the nacelles came off fairly regularly (whether I wanted them to or not), but I had a good deal of fun with it.
Daneel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:05 AM   #11
Vulcan Princess
Rear Admiral

View Vulcan Princess's Twitter Profile

I had a stuffed tribble that squeaked when I squeezed it. Mine was gray, and my sister's was white.
Old May 8 2009, 12:11 AM   #12
The Wormhole
Admiral

TNG toys by Playmates. Yeah, I had plenty. Picard in captain's jacket, as Locutus, disguised as a Romulan, and as Dixon Hill. Data, Geordi, Worf. Admiral McCoy, Ambassadors Spock and Sarek. Captain Dathon, Judge Q. Add to them the toys of the Enterprise, Klingon Vor'cha, shuttlecraft, and the transporter playset.
Old May 8 2009, 12:24 AM   #13
Daneel
Rear Admiral

VulcanPrincess wrote: View Post
I had a stuffed tribble that squeaked when I squeezed it. Mine was gray, and my sister's was white.
Oh yeah, I have one of those too. It came with a VHS package of both TOS and DS9's Tribble episodes. I think mine is kind of beige in colour.
Old May 8 2009, 02:37 AM   #14
Praetor
Vice Admiral

Daneel wrote: View Post
Oh yeah, I have one of those too. It came with a VHS package of both TOS and DS9's Tribble episodes. I think mine is kind of beige in colour.
I had one too! It was white. I think I squeezed it too much. My tribble doesn't squeak anymore.

I'd forgotten about the phasers, tricorders and communicators. Most of them were really good, especially the TOS ones. I really hated the TNG communicator, though. It was so clunky. I used to use the display stands as my 'real' comm-badge.

God, I was so cool.
"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross; but it's not for the timid." - Q
Praetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 03:44 AM   #15
Daneel
Rear Admiral

Praetor wrote: View Post
Daneel wrote: View Post
I had one too! It was white. I think I squeezed it too much. My tribble doesn't squeak anymore.
I found mine! It's a very light beige, almost white. And it still squeaks when I squeeze it!

I'd forgotten about the phasers, tricorders and communicators. Most of them were really good, especially the TOS ones. I really hated the TNG communicator, though. It was so clunky. I used to use the display stands as my 'real' comm-badge.

God, I was so cool.
Was?