Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 704 63.08%
Above Average 210 18.82%
Average 83 7.44%
Below Average 43 3.85%
Poor 76 6.81%
Voters: 1116. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2009, 11:55 PM   #331
Praetorian
Captain

Re: What I did and didn't like at Star Trek

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Praetorian wrote: View Post
Regarding Nero's motivation... It was simply a very misdirected revenge. He blammed the Federation for not being fast enough to help his planet (as if the UFP *had* to help Romulus...). His ship was simply a mining ship, but overpowered since it was from 130 years or so in the future. The black hole technology was from Spock's ship. Remember Nero was pulled into the past unwillingly. However I wonder why he waited 25 years roaming around in space, in the hopes of getting his hands on Spock and his blackhole technology to execute his irrational vengeance..instead of going to Romulus and help them prepare for the upcomming Super Nova. Or even use the black hole technology for that purpose instead...
1. his ship wasn't a simple mining ship. It was a mining ship turned into a superweapon thanks to it being refitided with Romulan adapted Borg technology.

Info from the Countdown comics.

2. He wasn't just roaming 25 years in space. After the Kelvin incident he was captured by Klingons and spent quite some time in Rura Penthe from where he later escaped.

This plot was cut in the editing room

3. As for Nero...I suppose one can be expected to be half mad and irrational when one sees child, wife, entire planet destroyed and spends a few years in a Klingon prison
I'm sorry, those things weren't in the movie....Not Canon! =P
Old May 7 2009, 11:58 PM   #332
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Regarding Nero's motivation... It was simply a very misdirected revenge. He blammed the Federation for not being fast enough to help his planet (as if the UFP *had* to help Romulus...). His ship was simply a mining ship, but overpowered since it was from 130 years or so in the future. The black hole technology was from Spock's ship. Remember Nero was pulled into the past unwillingly. However I wonder why he waited 25 years roaming around in space, in the hopes of getting his hands on Spock and his blackhole technology to execute his irrational vengeance..instead of going to Romulus and help them prepare for the upcomming Super Nova. Or even use the black hole technology for that purpose instead...
1. his ship wasn't a simple mining ship. It was a mining ship turned into a superweapon thanks to it being refitided with Romulan adapted Borg technology.

Info from the Countdown comics.

2. He wasn't just roaming 25 years in space. After the Kelvin incident he was captured by Klingons and spent quite some time in Rura Penthe from where he later escaped.

This plot was cut in the editing room

3. As for Nero...I suppose one can be expected to be half mad and irrational when one sees child, wife, entire planet destroyed and spends a few years in a Klingon prison
I'm sorry, those things weren't in the movie....Not Canon! =P
True.... but they show what the writers had in mind and therefore are relevant if you seek answers to those questions.

Or at least more relevant than some random fanboy explanation.
SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:01 AM   #333
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
I'm wondering about going for a second viewing, but it's expensive and quite a long journey there and back. Might just wait for the Blu-ray.
I'm thinking about making this movie as 'The Excuse' to finally buy a blu-ray player. But I read it hasn't been shot in HD. Does anybody know more about this?

Because if the blu-ray version is marginally the same as the dvd version, it's not worth a new player...
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:01 AM   #334
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

D-Day!, I'm in the theatre now movie is starting in now gotta go will report back
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:03 AM   #335
teacake
Admiral

Location: Militant Janeway True Path Devotees Compound. With Sehlats.

I did little jump at the Cardassian drink being mentioned in the bar scene. It seems unlikely that Cardassia would have been known enough for a drink to make it's name known, or to even use the name "Cardassian" as a drink moniker whether it came from that planet or not.

"Damnit Spock. God damnit!" Kirk ST:V
■ ■ ■
Janeway does Melbourne
teacake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:04 AM   #336
Praetorian
Captain

Movies are by definition shot in HD, I believe...
Old May 8 2009, 12:06 AM   #337
sto vo kor
Fleet Captain

teacake wrote: View Post
I did little jump at the Cardassian drink being mentioned in the bar scene. It seems unlikely that Cardassia would have been known enough for a drink to make it's name known, or to even use the name "Cardassian" as a drink moniker whether it came from that planet or not.
I thought that too, but hey I'm a DS9 fan and thought it was great.
Old May 8 2009, 12:09 AM   #338
M
Vice Admiral

sto vo kor wrote: View Post
I thought that too, but hey I'm a DS9 fan and thought it was great.
Was that really the reference to DS9 they promised, though? Because the Cardassians were originally a TNG race. Granted, DS9 really made them into what most Niners came to love eventually, but referencing them doesn't really scream Deep Space Nine to me.

However, I liked that name drop.
Garak: »Especially the lies.«
M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:09 AM   #339
cultcross
Say my name...

1) If memory serves, we don't know when we first encountered Cardassia/interacted with them
2) Alternate timeline - for all we know Starfleet started on a big 'ally search' following their mysterious attack by a massively superior force. They ran into the Cardassians, and forged a friendship.
Old May 8 2009, 12:10 AM   #340
Llama
Captain

Captain Pike wrote: View Post
Everything is set up well for the sequel. And there will be a sequel if the reaction from the sold out audience in attendence at the IMAX at Melbourne Museum are any indication. I arrived an hour early and there was already a que of 60 people or so. This quickly grew to around 300 or so, whatever the capacity of the cinema was. Oh and the session after mine was also sold out, and I beleive the later ones were too. The audience loved this film and were laughing out loud and gnashing their teeth and sighing when old Spock showed up and gave it a solid minute or so of applause at the end.
tee hee - I too was at the Melbourne IMAX early. Probably saw each other... Its a small internet/world isn't it
Old May 8 2009, 12:12 AM   #341
xan82
Lieutenant

There was defiantly something missing from this film.
As a stand alone film it was good, but other than origional spock being in it, it didnt feel much, if anything like any star trek we have been used to.
I found it too cheesy and dumbed down.
Shame.
xan82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:14 AM   #342
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

cultcross wrote: View Post
1) If memory serves, we don't know when we first encountered Cardassia/interacted with them
2) Alternate timeline - for all we know Starfleet started on a big 'ally search' following their mysterious attack by a massively superior force. They ran into the Cardassians, and forged a friendship.
Well, according to Memory Alpha, font of all knowledge:

Memory Alpha Cardassian History article wrote:
The date of first contact between the Federation and the Cardassian Union has never been established, although most fans assume that it was sometime in the first two decades of the 24th century due to the lack of any Cardassian mention in 23rd century backstories. Conversely, the Cardassian Iloja of Prim was in exile on Vulcan during the lifetime of Tobin Dax, i.e. before 2245. (DS9: "Destiny") Akorem Laan, who disappeared from Bajor in the late 22nd century also knew about Cardassians, indicating that first contact has already happened by that time. (DS9: "Accession") Cardassians and Humans also traveled in the same area of space as early as 2154. (ENT: "Observer Effect")
For all the canon-defying that some claim is going in, from a timeline point of view it appears that humans and Cardassians do actually know of each other at this point. It's not a wild leap to figure they'd exchanged drink recipes...

Old May 8 2009, 12:22 AM   #343
Acheron
Ensign

An interesting caricature of the original show mixed in with the best elements of the first Star Wars movie. Hehe, StarTrekWars
Acheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:22 AM   #344
BorgPhil
Lieutenant Commander

red matter created blackholes: how come one can destroy a planet, yet another allows a starship to travel through unscathed?
BorgPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8 2009, 12:25 AM   #345
cultcross
Say my name...

BorgPhil wrote: View Post
red matter created blackholes: how come one can destroy a planet, yet another allows a starship to travel through unscathed?
Maybe because the 'travel' ones weren't created in the middle of planets?

Letting a stable black hole/wormhole (Trek has pretty much consistently used them as representing pretty much the same phenomenon) form and then passing through it is a bit different from actually generating one inside a planet.