Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2009, 11:03 PM   #316
Admiral Bear
Captain

Re: What I did and didn't like at Star Trek

NCC-1701 wrote: View Post
No offense, Admiral Bear, but why do so many people think their review of the movie warrants an own thread? If this was the case then we'd have hundreds of review threads cluttering up the forum page.

As was said by Praetorian, I remember sitting in the film wondering why it took 25 years for Spock to turn up in the same time frame as Nero, when both ships went back in time together.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:06 PM   #317
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

Praetorian wrote: View Post
Regarding Nero's motivation... It was simply a very misdirected revenge. He blammed the Federation for not being fast enough to help his planet (as if the UFP *had* to help Romulus...). His ship was simply a mining ship, but overpowered since it was from 130 years or so in the future. The black hole technology was from Spock's ship. Remember Nero was pulled into the past unwillingly. However I wonder why he waited 25 years roaming around in space, in the hopes of getting his hands on Spock and his blackhole technology to execute his irrational vengeance..instead of going to Romulus and help them prepare for the upcomming Super Nova. Or even use the black hole technology for that purpose instead...
1. his ship wasn't a simple mining ship. It was a mining ship turned into a superweapon thanks to it being refitided with Romulan adapted Borg technology.

Info from the Countdown comics.

2. He wasn't just roaming 25 years in space. After the Kelvin incident he was captured by Klingons and spent quite some time in Rura Penthe from where he later escaped.

This plot was cut in the editing room

3. As for Nero...I suppose one can be expected to be half mad and irrational when one sees child, wife, entire planet destroyed and spends a few years in a Klingon prison

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:08 PM   #318
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

No offense, Admiral Bear, but why do so many people think their review of the movie warrants an own thread? If this was the case then we'd have hundreds of review threads cluttering up the forum page.
To be honest, of course the reviews warrant their own threads! I mean, these are the people the movie is made for, after all. People who have a right to be excited, and a right to be heard. This forum is there exclusively to discuss the movie, right? So it's not as if this is the wrong forum... Besides, if there's nothing to add to a certain thread, it'll filter down within minutes anyway and nobody will ever see it again, so that's no problem, I'd think...

However, if there's supposed to be a central review thread, it hasn't been made clear. Do you perhaps have a link?
DiSiLLUSiON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:09 PM   #319
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Admiral Bear wrote: View Post
As was said by Praetorian, I remember sitting in the film wondering why it took 25 years for Spock to turn up in the same time frame as Nero, when both ships went back in time together.
They didn't exactly go together.
At the end of Countdown the Narada gets sucked in first and the Jellyfish a little later.
I suppose black hole time displacement works in mysterious, unpredictable ways

Old May 7 2009, 11:10 PM   #320
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post
To be honest, of course the reviews warrant their own threads! I mean, these are the people the movie is made for, after all. People who have a right to be excited, and a right to be heard. This forum is there exclusively to discuss the movie, right? So it's not as if this is the wrong forum... Besides, if there's nothing to add to a certain thread, it'll filter down within minutes anyway and nobody will ever see it again, so that's no problem, I'd think...

However, if there's supposed to be a central review thread, it hasn't been made clear. Do you perhaps have a link?
It's the first sticky post of the forum...Not exactly hidden

Old May 7 2009, 11:11 PM   #321
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Oh, I thought that was for grading and nitpicking, not for reviews... Thank you!
Old May 7 2009, 11:12 PM   #322
DiSiLLUSiON
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Since it seems we may not make individual review threads, I'll post mine here so my thread may be closed:

Some spoilers ahead.

I'm not a film reviewer. Nor am I the penultimate encyclopedia on anything TOS. I'm just a regular guy, mid twenties, who has watched and loves everything Trek. Having said that, I do have some thoughts:

I've just watched the movie. And, after letting it sink in, all I can say is (to paraphrase McCoy): I like it, it's exciting!

And it truly is.

The space battles don't look 'realistic' (in the 'the universe is so large you'd be kilometers away from each other' sense), but they are exciting as hell. It gets the blood pumping and damn, I was literally rocking in my seat.

The emotional scenes do more to give the characters, well, character, then entire seasons have done for the previous series. My girlfriend even let a tear escape when Jim was born. Even my eyes got a little wet (sure was glad for that few seconds black! Gotta wipe my eyes in secret ).

And the story, well, of course it's rushed in some places; it's a movie, what do you think? But it's not some slice of cheese with more holes then my garden fence like most previous Treks: it's engaging, it's (at times) very logical and it's definitely not too drawn out, it's the right pace at the right times.

Even the re-design of familiar elements have been done superbly. Yes, I don't like engineering much either (still looks too much like a brewery -- where's the warp core?), but what it does look like is real. It's looks absolutely, completely, definitively real. And that rocks. Just like all other elements of production design. It looks cool, it looks real and above all: most of it looks completely and utterly futuristic. This could very well be our future! Our bright, optimistic, wonderful and exciting future!

And to top it all off, they lost the reset button! That's right, no reset. There are now 2 Spocks in existence. Vulcan is no more and the United Federation of Planets and it's heroes would forever be altered. Nothing will be the same again.

The new possible story lines that these events have opened up are fantastic as well; how would you feel if Spock's efforts of unification would come true in this universe when all he had to do was to sacrifice his entire home planet? How will things develop now? All the possibilities are staggering.

And I love it. When the movie was done, I felt like a little boy, seeing my first Star Trek movie on the big screen. You know that scene with the food from 'Ratatouille'? When the guy relives his childhood? That's how I felt. And you?

PS: When is the next movie coming out? Cause I say: BRING IT ON!
Old May 7 2009, 11:14 PM   #323
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

DiSiLLUSiON wrote: View Post
SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Oh, I thought that was for grading and nitpicking, not for reviews... Thank you!
No problem.

It's for grading, nitpicking and reviews

Old May 7 2009, 11:23 PM   #324
TGTheodore
Writer

sto vo kor wrote: View Post
couldn't have put it better myself, but what about that little alien who was Scotty's friend. I didn't like that, a bit too Star Wars ish
I just took it as a friendly little jab at the Ewoks in SW, and the sidekick in Futureworld. But I wouldn't miss him (it?), either. Unless it's a robot that Scotty built, of course.

--Ted
Old May 7 2009, 11:43 PM   #325
Eddie Roth
Commodore

BorgPhil wrote: View Post
Brilliant film.

Pike in the wheelchair was a very nice nod at the end.

The whole Kelvin segement blew me away, very emotional.

Canon is definitely stretched in parts, though not to impossible lengths - the knowledge of Romulans certainly didn't seem to tie into what we'd expect - but who knows what would have followed the Narada-Kelvin encounter.
I fully expect to see a novel at some point that deals with exactly that question. But you know, it made sense. Wouldn't it? Wouldn't you seek out the enemy race who just obliterated one of your prized starships to ask them "what the hell, dudes"?
Old May 7 2009, 11:44 PM   #326
Butters
Captain

Vulcan bullies. Fantastic.

Scotty's bean eating pet thing - get down! Fantastic

British Red Shirt out to kick some Romulan Arse! Fantastic

Wulcan. Fantastic

Window as view screen. Fantastic, why didn't they think of this before?

Pike in wheelchair! Fantastic, wheres my beepy light though?

Seriously, whats not to like?

Well, I prefer my engineering a with bit more flash and a bit less 20th Century industrial; and Uhura as goddess and not Spock's sloppy seconds. But apart from that, it rocked!

More please.
Butters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:44 PM   #327
Admiral Bear
Captain

If anyone with the necessary clearance wants to shift my first post into the thread for nitpicking and reviews, I'll be more than happy.

Don't want to be seen to be making a mess, even if this is just about my first ever thread on here in years.

I'm wondering about going for a second viewing, but it's expensive and quite a long journey there and back. Might just wait for the Blu-ray.
Admiral Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:45 PM   #328
Blackster
Ensign

That was absolutely marvellous. Marvellous!

I'm too excited to say anymore, frankly.
Blackster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:49 PM   #329
donners22
Commodore

TGTheodore wrote: View Post
sto vo kor wrote: View Post
couldn't have put it better myself, but what about that little alien who was Scotty's friend. I didn't like that, a bit too Star Wars ish
I just took it as a friendly little jab at the Ewoks in SW, and the sidekick in Futureworld. But I wouldn't miss him (it?), either. Unless it's a robot that Scotty built, of course.

--Ted
Are there toys of it yet?
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:52 PM   #330
JoeD80
Captain

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Or how the ships going to warp bore an uncanny resemblence to SW ships going to hyperspace? Should George Lucas be flattered or should he be calling his lawyers?.
He'd be suing himself if he did that. ILM did the EFX for this movie.
JoeD80 is offline   Reply With Quote