Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2009, 06:30 PM   #241
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Then why did Kirk tell Gillian he was from Iowa?
'Cause he was born in Iowa?

Or, I should say in the original timeline (which STIV takes place in) he was born in Iowa on 2233. By 2246 he was on Tarsus IV.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:32 PM   #242
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

EJA wrote: View Post
Wait a minute, Nero has Ceti eels?!! That'd be cool.
Well, he calls them Centauri slugs, but the look and how he describes them ("it'll latch on to your brain stem, releasing a toxin which will make you extremely suggestible and give up the codes to Starfleet's defenses") are clearly a homage to TWOK.

Last edited by FlyingLemons; May 7 2009 at 06:43 PM.
FlyingLemons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:44 PM   #243
thumbtack
Commodore

You know, the original universe was not destroyed. It's out there somewhere, with our fond memories. Well, mostly fond. I am, however, very happy that we are not going back to that universe.
Old May 7 2009, 06:45 PM   #244
EJA
Fleet Captain

Any indication of how far along Winona Kirk is in the pregnancy at the time of Nero's attack? If she was in the latter stages, and James was born in Iowa in the pre-Nero timeline, then would that imply that the Kelvin was due to return to Earth shortly at this time, to give Winona the opportunity to have her baby on Earth?
EJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:47 PM   #245
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

The film makes it very clear that the expanding supernova was stopped, and thus the TNG timeframe where Spock Prime came from was saved. And also both the bridge crew and Nero ("You were regarded as a great man - you became Captain of the Enterprise, but that was another life!") pound in the fact that it's an alternate timeline due to the changes made by Nero's arrival in the past.

Any indication of how far along Winona Kirk is in the pregnancy at the time of Nero's attack? If she was in the latter stages, and James was born in Iowa in the pre-Nero timeline, then would that imply that the Kelvin was due to return to Earth shortly at this time, to give Winona the opportunity to have her baby on Earth?
She seems to be giving birth before the Narada attacks the Kelvin, at least when we first see her. There's nothing to indicate the attack disrupted the normal birth cycle as such.
Old May 7 2009, 06:50 PM   #246
indranee
Vice Admiral

this really gives you away, April. oh man.

indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:50 PM   #247
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

View SalvorHardin's Twitter Profile

I got the impression that she was going to give birth to baby Jim any time now, even if the attack hadn't happened.

SalvorHardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:56 PM   #248
FlyingLemons
Vice Admiral

I quite liked the Kobyashi Maru sequence. Who'd have thought you could get into so much trouble for cheating at a video game?
Old May 7 2009, 06:56 PM   #249
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

indranee wrote: View Post

Jesus, what a dumb thing to nitpick.

I was born in D.C. I lived there for the first six months of my life. I've lived mainly in various parts of am East Coast state for all the decades since.

When people ask me where I'm from I say I'm from the state where I've lived my entire life save six months. Why in the fuck would I say "I'm from D.C.?"
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:58 PM   #250
indranee
Vice Admiral

yeah, I've got a whole lotta places I'm from. India, NJ, DC. what to pick? what to pick?!

indranee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 06:59 PM   #251
Ethros
Vice Admiral

Just to say the Not Canon was more of a joke, in that its what any fanboy (mainly Trek) says when they really dislike something. A few Trek fans do like to pick and choose their canonicity of Trek, which I never really went with until I saw this film.

What other specific aspects of the film did you not like? Just curious.[/QUOTE]
What didn't I like? As I say I don't want to write an essay, but it just didn't feel like Star Trek to me at all. It was just like any other whiz bang meaningless summer blockbuster you see, all jazzed up like say 2007's Transformers with a huge mess of CGI and a few tits and arse shots for the Zoo/Nuts crowd all hide that it has no soul and is forgettable throwaway trash.

I would have preferred if they'd simply gone for a reboot/remake plain & simple (ala Batman Begins for example) rather that trying to ram into the canon. I really don't see how the event of the USS Kelvin battle made Starfleet radically change their interior & exterior Starship design, erased 'The Cage' from existence, gave Spock & Uhura a romance, etc etc?
And mostly I just found it boring. Once it got to the part where Kirk was marooned on the ice planet the whole film was blatantly signposted- he's gonna find old Spock and Scotty, get back on the Enterprise somehow, take command, save the day, end up as Captain, bla bla bla. Which when it's a prequel you can kinda expect what to happen anyway, but not for it to be so dull.
It started out pretty "meh" I thought, but when it got to the scene of Kirk meeting McCoy I though "oh that's cool, this might be pretty sweet actually". But it just went back to meh and worse.

Here's a thing, I remember that thing where at some fan showing of Wrath of the Khan recently Leonard Nimoy showed up and played them this film instead. About two thirds into watching it I would have HAPPILY had them turn it off and watch WOK instead on the big screen. Hell, Search For Spock would have done.

And going back to why I'd have preferred it as a remake, then you wouldn't have to have all of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY and the movies as we know them erased from existence by this "new timeline"
I find that offensive frankly, it just wasn't necessary to make a decent movie

The constant lens flares just got annoying, Chekov was embarrassing, the music was atrocious (I kept thinking "just use the John Williams theme, not this pathetic lifeless dross"), the Enterprise is dog ugly, Nero was a total cypher with no charatcer at all, Shinzon was better than he was for chrissakes, the Kobayashi Maru part just seemed slapped in their to keep the fans happy, the line about Admiral Archer's beagle was retarded in its illogicity...

Oh well, at least Abrams kept up the truism once spoken by Simon Pegg about the odd numbered Trek films

Haha, nice rant. See? You got me writing an essay!

If you like it fine, just to express my opinion that I thought it sucked. Definitely won't be buying the DVD
Ethros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:01 PM   #252
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
indranee wrote: View Post

Jesus, what a dumb thing to nitpick.
Well, expecting anything more from the good captain wouldn't be realistic.

Old May 7 2009, 07:05 PM   #253
SalvorHardin
Rear Admiral

Ethros wrote: View Post
And going back to why I'd have preferred it as a remake, then you wouldn't have to have all of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY and the movies as we know them erased from existence by this "new timeline"
I can accept all you didn't like about this film though I disagree, but after all we've read and seen onscreen to see this utter crap about erasures from existence again is truly unbelievable...

Old May 7 2009, 07:07 PM   #254
The Habs Fan
Commodore

SalvorHardin wrote: View Post
Ethros wrote: View Post
I can accept all you didn't like about this film though I disagree, but after all we've read and seen onscreen to see this utter crap about erasures from existence again is truly unbelievable...
I agree with you SalvorHardin. The original timeline is not destroyed. There are just 2 timelines now.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 07:07 PM   #255
Darth_Yoda
Fleet Captain

Well I don't know what to say, I was blown away by it and really enjoyed the movie. It had great action and humour and all the main cast were good.

I have to say Pike was awesome and I hope he is in any future movies.

I would write more but my brain is all over the place with excitement at the moment
Darth_Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote