Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 7 2009, 10:51 AM   #196
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I'll go back and read the rest of the thread in a moment (I already know some of what I'm going to see, of course), but I have to say I enjoyed the hell out of this movie.

Is it perfect? Of course not.

Is it Star Trek? Yes.

The opening sequence is quite brilliant and the movie only improves from there. I was thoroughly engaged and engrossed. Almost everyone worked for me, acting-wise and as the character I've known and enjoyed for all these years.

Acting / casting: I have some quibbles (see below). Pine was terrific. Quinto absolutely nailed Spock. I'd expected him to be good, but not that good. Saldana was a terrific Uhura. Almost everyone else did pretty well with what they were given. On the whole I think all involved did well.

Plot: Better than I'd expected. I suppose in some ways it was recycled from stuff we've all seen in and outside Trek but it worked pretty damned well. No blatant holes evidenced themselves on first viewing.

The effects were pretty good, I suppose. Quite frankly they're about the last reason I watch a movie and unless they're utterly godawful I tend to pay attention to characters, plot and the like first and foremost. Having said that the movie looked damned good.

Really, really enjoyed the score.

Quibbles: Ben Cross was simply awful. Granted, I'm a dyed-in-the-wool fan of Sarek and Mark Lenard, but even so for mine Cross completely lacked any sort of gravitas and presence. That was my single biggest disappointment. Whoever it was who played Chekov (no, I haven't kept up with every detail ) overdid the "Russian" accent. I don't completely buy Urban as McCoy (but McCoy is my favourite ever Trek character and DeForest Kelley ruled, so I willingly admit that was pretty much a given). I'd dreaded Winona Ryder as Amanda and I'm glad her part was so brief. They're my main issues at this juncture; maybe subsequent viewings (of which there will be a few) will reveal others. Or not.

(Nimoy looked ancient, though. )

Basically, after the past couple of years of anticipation, of learning bits and pieces about the movie, of reading this forum , I wasn't disappointed. On the contrary, I genuinely enjoyed this movie. I hope it succeeds and this group gets the opportunity to boldy go a few more times.

And the dedication at the end brought tears to my eyes. A really classy touch.
Old May 7 2009, 11:01 AM   #197
donners22
Commodore

^ I missed the dedication. What was it?
Janeway: Ha! Good one, Ensign. Take us in, Mr. Paris.

http://www.fiveminute.net/voyager
donners22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:06 AM   #198
Orac Zen
Mischief Manager

The pic was dedicated to Gene Roddenberry and Majel Barrett Roddenberry.

I just thought it was spot-on.

Edit: Okay, I've read the rest of the thread (and seen pretty much exactly what I'd expected to see). Some additional comments:

Smiley wrote: View Post
Random thought:

At least the Enterprise wasn't "the only ship in the quadrant" in this movie.
And about damned time, too. That cliché was beyond worn out.

Sky wrote: View Post
Seen it twice now. Noticed all kinds of nice little details on the second viewing (a nameplate for Admiral Lenard at the Kirk Kobayashi Maru trial scene...
I missed that. What a marvellous touch. Don't anyone try and tell me Abrams and co. don't respect what they're dealing with here.

donners22 wrote: View Post
Oh, and blatent Nokia promotion can go and get stuffed. You'd think in a few hundred years they'd have a better default ringtone.
That was another (relatively minor) negative. Thankfully that was the only piece of gratuitous product placement (so to speak), but I didn't go for it much.

Last edited by Satanica; May 7 2009 at 11:43 AM.
Orac Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 11:40 AM   #199
Mutenroshi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Mutenroshi

hal9500 wrote: View Post
Mutenroshi wrote: View Post
Honestly, the canon could still happen. With the notable exception of the destruction of Vulcan.
With all due respect, that is perhaps the craziest most stupid thing i ever heard.... its like saying stalin was a nice guy...... with the exception of purges, murders, secret police, megolomania, historical revisionism......
With all due respect too, allow me to say one thing: riiiiiiiight. Please point me to the logical parallels you can draw from both our statements. Shall I emphasize on the modal auxiliary "COULD". For all we know, V'Ger is still en route to Earth, Khan's sleeper ship is still drifting somewhere, there's still a vineyard belonging to the Picard family in Labarre, and so on...
And kudos to the poster just after you for Godwin'ing this thread!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Mutenroshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 12:06 PM   #200
Sulu's Lover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Saw it at the press screening, and all I can say is that I'm oh, so glad that I didn't have to pay for it.

Suffice it to say that I was massively underwhelmed. Plot contrivances, shaky camera, even in the CGI stuff, cringe inducing dialogue, a "Look at MEEE!" glory shot of the ship every five minutes, all capped off with a closing credit sequence ripped off from the Lost in Space movie....well, let's just say that just about everything I said before I saw it, stands.

Some of the more minor annoyances:

Pink skinned Vulcans Y'know, JJ, there was a reason they painted Nimoy yellow way back when, and it's because of that green Vulcan blood.

The Kelvin 800 people made it off, after getting the crap kicked out it, which killed how many? And this is supposed to be a pre-TOS ship? Sorry, but that bucket reeked more of TNG, both in capacity and in the crew complement, which apparently included families, another TNG contrivance that didn't make it past "Generations" (the Enterprise-E doesn't have families on board). The interiors also indicated a much more
massive ship, on the order of a Galaxy class starship.

The technology Compared to TOS, most it, quite frankly, sucked. The front window/viewscreen was blurry and distorted, the transporter didn't work half as well as even the NX-01's, and the phasers, both shipboard and handheld, all behaved more like Star Wars blasters and turbolasers than their TOS predecessors. And need I mention Sulu's automatically unfolding katana, which helped him in his dashing impression of Luke Skywalker in the barge scene in "Return of the Jedi"? Or how the ships going to warp bore an uncanny resemblence to SW ships going to hyperspace? Should George Lucas be flattered or should he be calling his lawyers?

Delta Vega As an astute poster over on trekmovie.com pointed out, the name of the neighboring planet that Spock was stranded on really didn't have any bearing on the story, but by invoking the name of Delta Vega, the writers shined a big bright spotlight on this bit, making it quite clear that, deep down, they don't know what they're doing. A big part of "honoring canon" is getting the details right; otherwise, it's just meaningless name dropping and pandering.

Chekov Excuse me, but exactly when did Chekov turn into Wesley Crusher? Also, at age seventeen, he should be starting his first year at the Academy, not already be a commissioned officer. But then, these clowns clearly don't know a thing about military protocol, since they also take a guy who was a cadet facing some serious charges a couple of days earlier and give him command of their biggest and most advanced ship. At the very least, it's clear they wouldn't know the chain of command if someone came up and beat 'em about the head and shoulders with it.

And my complaint about Spock still remains: He knows how to achieve a time warp, and he knows precisely what happened when, why it happened, and how to circumvent those events. So why doesn't he get a ship, do a few time jumps, and fix everything that got screwed up? He could not only restore the timeline, but finally cement a lasting peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation.

So why doesn't he do this?

Because Spock has to have a sudden attack of the stupids in order for JJ to get his own Star Trek universe to run amok in.

Urban was good as McCoy, Pine was okay as Kirk, can't really grade Greenwood as Pike since we never got that much from Jeffery Hunter to form a basis of comparison, but taken on it's own, he gives a good performance, Yelchin was downright embarrassing as Chekov, Quinto just seemed to be PMSing all the time, and the rest of the cast was just sort of there.

The ship still looks stupid, and the decision to build it on the surface is the singlemost idiotic move in the entire history of the franchise. It didn't help that the "Riverside shipyards" were clearly a present day industrial facility, either an oil refinery or electrical substation. Engineering looking alternately like a water treatment plant and, like it is in real life, a brewery, only adds insult to injury.

The choice of "Crap on a stick" isn't available, so I voted "Poor".
I agree...........What more can be said . Give some rich guy , with a big ego , tons of money and artistic license ,and this is what you get .

Rob
Sulu's Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 12:32 PM   #201
Whatever
Lieutenant

Sulu's Lover wrote: View Post
Saw it at the press screening, and all I can say is that I'm oh, so glad that I didn't have to pay for it.

Suffice it to say that I was massively underwhelmed. Plot contrivances, shaky camera, even in the CGI stuff, cringe inducing dialogue, a "Look at MEEE!" glory shot of the ship every five minutes, all capped off with a closing credit sequence ripped off from the Lost in Space movie....well, let's just say that just about everything I said before I saw it, stands.

Pink skinned Vulcans Y'know, JJ, there was a reason they painted Nimoy yellow way back when, and it's because of that green Vulcan blood.

The Kelvin 800 people made it off, after getting the crap kicked out it, which killed how many? And this is supposed to be a pre-TOS ship? Sorry, but that bucket reeked more of TNG, both in capacity and in the crew complement, which apparently included families, another TNG contrivance that didn't make it past "Generations" (the Enterprise-E doesn't have families on board). The interiors also indicated a much more

The technology Compared to TOS, most it, quite frankly, sucked. The front window/viewscreen was blurry and distorted, the transporter didn't work half as well as even the NX-01's, and the phasers, both shipboard and handheld, all behaved more like Star Wars blasters and turbolasers than their TOS predecessors. And need I mention Sulu's automatically unfolding katana, which helped him in his dashing impression of Luke Skywalker in the barge scene in "Return of the Jedi"? Or how the ships going to warp bore an uncanny resemblence to SW ships going to hyperspace? Should George Lucas be flattered or should he be calling his lawyers?

Delta Vega As an astute poster over on trekmovie.com pointed out, the name of the neighboring planet that Spock was stranded on really didn't have any bearing on the story, but by invoking the name of Delta Vega, the writers shined a big bright spotlight on this bit, making it quite clear that, deep down, they don't know what they're doing. A big part of "honoring canon" is getting the details right; otherwise, it's just meaningless name dropping and pandering.

Chekov Excuse me, but exactly when did Chekov turn into Wesley Crusher? Also, at age seventeen, he should be starting his first year at the Academy, not already be a commissioned officer. But then, these clowns clearly don't know a thing about military protocol, since they also take a guy who was a cadet facing some serious charges a couple of days earlier and give him command of their biggest and most advanced ship. At the very least, it's clear they wouldn't know the chain of command if someone came up and beat 'em about the head and shoulders with it.

And my complaint about Spock still remains: He knows how to achieve a time warp, and he knows precisely what happened when, why it happened, and how to circumvent those events. So why doesn't he get a ship, do a few time jumps, and fix everything that got screwed up? He could not only restore the timeline, but finally cement a lasting peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation.

Because Spock has to have a sudden attack of the stupids in order for JJ to get his own Star Trek universe to run amok in.

Urban was good as McCoy, Pine was okay as Kirk, can't really grade Greenwood as Pike since we never got that much from Jeffery Hunter to form a basis of comparison, but taken on it's own, he gives a good performance, Yelchin was downright embarrassing as Chekov, Quinto just seemed to be PMSing all the time, and the rest of the cast was just sort of there.

The ship still looks stupid, and the decision to build it on the surface is the singlemost idiotic move in the entire history of the franchise. It didn't help that the "Riverside shipyards" were clearly a present day industrial facility, either an oil refinery or electrical substation. Engineering looking alternately like a water treatment plant and, like it is in real life, a brewery, only adds insult to injury.

I agree...........What more can be said . Give some rich guy , with a big ego , tons of money and artistic license ,and this is what you get .

Rob
Excuse me but i have to say this,these arguments are downright pathetic,come on man ,just look at what your posting,bitching why the ship is built on earth ,why the Kelvin looks bigger than ships in the TNG ,its nonsense to me. As far as i can see you haven't posted on convincing argument that supports your dislike for the flick .
Maybe its because i'm not really a Star Trek fan,TNG ,DS9 and Voyager was just to boring for me ,i've tried to watch them .
What exactly do you understand from the concept of "fun summer movie" ?
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 12:43 PM   #202
Sulu's Lover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whatever wrote: View Post
Sulu's Lover wrote: View Post

Rob
Excuse me but i have to say this,these arguments are downright pathetic,come on man ,just look at what your posting,bitching why the ship is built on earth ,why the Kelvin looks bigger than ships in the TNG ,its nonsense to me. As far as i can see you haven't posted on convincing argument that supports your dislike for the flick .
Maybe its because i'm not really a Star Trek fan,TNG ,DS9 and Voyager was just to boring for me ,i've tried to watch them .
What exactly do you understand from the concept of "fun summer movie" ?
Are you saying that I need to post a convincing argument to you , on my thoughts about the film , to dislike the film?

"Illogical ".

Rob
Old May 7 2009, 12:47 PM   #203
Whatever
Lieutenant

No i'm not saying that,i'm just saying that his arguments are stupid and don't make sense to me . And you don't have to convince anyone about anything,its just that you guys seem a little ....weird you know ?
Whatever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 12:55 PM   #204
ST-One
Vice Admiral

Yeah...

Suffice it to say that I was massively underwhelmed. Plot contrivances,
Which ones?

shaky camera, even in the CGI stuff,
Yeah, so?

cringe inducing dialogue, a "Look at MEEE!" glory shot of the ship every five minutes,
Yeah, so unlike TMP or the other films

all capped off with a closing credit sequence ripped off from the Lost in Space movie....well, let's just say that just about everything I said before I saw it, stands.
Or from Superman...

Yeah, lets hear them.

Or was it his alcoholism... we'll never know.

Perhaps the Kelvin had colonists for that planet Kirk grew up on on board... But, nah... far too rooted in the 'canon' as an explanation for your arguement to work, isn't it?

The technology Compared to TOS, most it, quite frankly, sucked. The front window/viewscreen was blurry and distorted,
Yes, when they recived transmissions from the Narada. You remember? In the times before and during the TOS-time they had difficulties communicating with the Romulans.

the transporter didn't work half as well as even the NX-01's,
Because the high-energy beam from the Narada disrupted those signals.

and the phasers, both shipboard and handheld, all behaved more like Star Wars blasters and turbolasers than their TOS predecessors.
And they sounded like the hand-held weapons from Galaxy Quest (they really did).
So what?
They looked cool and did their job.

And need I mention Sulu's automatically unfolding katana, which helped him in his dashing impression of Luke Skywalker in the barge scene in "Return of the Jedi"? Or how the ships going to warp bore an uncanny resemblence to SW ships going to hyperspace? Should George Lucas be flattered or should he be calling his lawyers?
You have quite the obsession with Star Wars, haven't you?

Okay. Now it's bad they reference the 'canon'?

Did you notice that Starfleet Command ordered all cadets to crew the orbiting ships?
Obviously Kirk was promoted to captain the Enterprise because of Admiral Pike's recommendations and the simple fact that he and his decisions saved the Earth.

Spock was dragged into the black hole and was immediately captured by Nero after he emereged from it in the past.
And what would you have him do?
  • Travel back with another ship to destroy the Narada? Well, she took care of that Klingon armada and the small Starfleet battle group real quick.
  • Tell everyone about Nero to save the timeline? But damn... he would contaminate the timeline in so doing.

There is nothing Spock could have done to prevent the destruction of the Kelvin that wouldn't have changed the timeline.

Because it wouldn't work.

No.

Your opinion.

The ship still looks stupid, and the decision to build it on the surface is the singlemost idiotic move in the entire history of the franchise.
Yeah... no...
Remember how they remote-controlled a brain-amputated Spock in that one episode?

It didn't help that the "Riverside shipyards" were clearly a present day industrial facility, either an oil refinery or electrical substation. Engineering looking alternately like a water treatment plant and, like it is in real life, a brewery, only adds insult to injury.
It never really made any sense that in Trek all the machinery on the engineering decks was hidden behind walls and bulkheads.

Big surprise here.
ST-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 01:00 PM   #205
Sulu's Lover
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Whatever wrote: View Post
No i'm not saying that,i'm just saying that his arguments are stupid and don't make sense to me . And you don't have to convince anyone about anything,its just that you guys seem a little ....weird you know ?

With all due respect Mr.Whatever , passing judgment on people that you don't know outside of an internet chat board seems a bit ludicrous.

It seems that people whom you do not agree with ,are weird .Have I got that correct ? Well I have to go to work now .So long .What might you be doing today?

Rob
Old May 7 2009, 01:11 PM   #206
Captain Pike
Rear Admiral

Just a quick expulsion of near gibberish of some of my thoughts while my mind is digesting and recovering from the shock of the anal mind-rape of seeing this amazing film -

Great film. Full on blockbuster with great characters and intense action. Incredible effects.

The Kobayashi maru sequence was hilarious. Loved the way the ships go to warp. Pine, Quinto, Urban, Cho and Pegg were all excellent. The ship was amazing. The sense of real danger was well realised, and the space battles and phaser fights onboard the Narada were great.

I liked the way Admiral Pike's uniform echoed Admiral Kirk's from TMP. I hope he is around for the next one.

Chekov's accent was a little overdone. I'm not sure I'm entirely sold on them destroying Vulcan or killing off Amanda. And it was a shame it was all over so quickly.

Everything is set up well for the sequel. And there will be a sequel if the reaction from the sold out audience in attendence at the IMAX at Melbourne Museum are any indication. I arrived an hour early and there was already a que of 60 people or so. This quickly grew to around 300 or so, whatever the capacity of the cinema was. Oh and the session after mine was also sold out, and I beleive the later ones were too. The audience loved this film and were laughing out loud and gnashing their teeth and sighing when old Spock showed up and gave it a solid minute or so of applause at the end.

TOS will always have a special place in my heart, and that is in no danger of being outdone, but I do believe this is probably the best Star Trek film ever. That is all.
Captain Pike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 01:11 PM   #207
Sky
Captain

Could we please agree that people are allowed to both like and dislike the movie? There's no reason to disqualify or judge each other's opinions here.

(I am beginning to think that what I most liked about the film, by the way, was the idea of it: to see the original crew again, and to have a new Trek film on the big screen. After seeing it twice.. I just wish it had been better.)
Sky   is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 01:12 PM   #208
chrisspringob
Commodore

Got back from seeing the movie about an hour ago. Thought the movie was great for what it was: a cool action movie in space with familiar characters that we love. It wasn't particularly deep though, so I don't think I'm going to end up rewatching this thing a hundred times. But that's OK. There are a lot of interesting directions they could go for sequels, and I'm looking forward to the next one.
chrisspringob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 01:15 PM   #209
ian_tee
Captain

Just got back from a session in Melbourne. Cinema was only half full but it was an early session (when I left I noticed that the later sessions were selling out).

I thoroughly enjoyed the film. I thought it was a shade under being excellent (very very good would appropriate but that isn't a grading option).

The opening sequence was great and really got me on the edge of my seat. Quite emotional too.

I'm glad not too much time was spent on the young versions of Kirk and Spock as I was keen to get to the main actors' roles.

Overall the plot was good although it did sag after the destruction of Vulcan and became too expositional. It picked up again towards the end.

For the most part the characterisations and the acting was great. I would have liked to have seen more of McCoy and Scotty and less of Chekhov. I am still undecided about the Spock/Uhuru romance

I think Pine got the confidence and swagger of Kirk down pat. Quinto's interpretation of Spock was pretty good too. Urban made McCoy very likeable. I love seeing Simon Pegg in anything but would have preferred him to be a little less comic relief and a little more miracle worker. Yelchin's Chekhov was too campy. Saldana lived up to Nichelle Nichols. John Cho was good but nothing great. I would liked to have seen more of Eric Bana. Greenwood was fantastic as Pike. Nimoy was ok - seeing him onscreen again was a joy but I think his performance would have been better if "Old Spock" didn't have to spend as much time as he did explaining the plot.

The lens flares didn't bother me, for the record

I am sure I have more to say but I am typing this on my iPhone and it is rather time consuming. Suffice to say, I recognize that there are negative aspects to the film, but I still had a great time watching it, I will go see it again, and that it has successfully "reinvigorated the franchise" (actually I saw it with 2 non-trek fans who both really enjoyed it - one of whom now now wants to see the previous films and series).

And I do hope they make a sequel so we can see a stand alone adventure in this new/reboot/alternative universe and get to spend time with these classic characters!

Last edited by ian_tee; May 7 2009 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
ian_tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7 2009, 01:15 PM   #210
Cky
Captain

ST-One wrote: View Post
Yeah...

Suffice it to say that I was massively underwhelmed. Plot contrivances,
Which ones?

Yeah, so?

Yeah, so unlike TMP or the other films

Or from Superman...

Yeah, lets hear them.

Or was it his alcoholism... we'll never know.

Perhaps the Kelvin had colonists for that planet Kirk grew up on on board... But, nah... far too rooted in the 'canon' as an explanation for your arguement to work, isn't it?

Yes, when they recived transmissions from the Narada. You remember? In the times before and during the TOS-time they had difficulties communicating with the Romulans.

Because the high-energy beam from the Narada disrupted those signals.

And they sounded like the hand-held weapons from Galaxy Quest (they really did).
So what?
They looked cool and did their job.

You have quite the obsession with Star Wars, haven't you?

Okay. Now it's bad they reference the 'canon'?

Did you notice that Starfleet Command ordered all cadets to crew the orbiting ships?
Obviously Kirk was promoted to captain the Enterprise because of Admiral Pike's recommendations and the simple fact that he and his decisions saved the Earth.

Spock was dragged into the black hole and was immediately captured by Nero after he emereged from it in the past.
And what would you have him do?
  • Travel back with another ship to destroy the Narada? Well, she took care of that Klingon armada and the small Starfleet battle group real quick.
  • Tell everyone about Nero to save the timeline? But damn... he would contaminate the timeline in so doing.

There is nothing Spock could have done to prevent the destruction of the Kelvin that wouldn't have changed the timeline.

Because it wouldn't work.

No.

Your opinion.

Yeah... no...
Remember how they remote-controlled a brain-amputated Spock in that one episode?

It didn't help that the "Riverside shipyards" were clearly a present day industrial facility, either an oil refinery or electrical substation. Engineering looking alternately like a water treatment plant and, like it is in real life, a brewery, only adds insult to injury.
It never really made any sense that in Trek all the machinery on the engineering decks was hidden behind walls and bulkheads.

Big surprise here.
Honestly, I completely agree with ST One's arguement here. They were never going to make a perfect film that all Trek fans would love instantly, some of the quotes from April's original post, god you're whiney. Bitching about the most pointless things in the world. "Oh no the Vulcans have pink skin!!!" give me a break.

Be happy that there's Star Trek back on the big screen again.