Mystery Mini Vinyl Figure Display Box
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

The Red Shirt Diaries Episode Five
By: T'Bonz on Sep 29

Shatner In Trek 3? Well Maybe
By: T'Bonz on Sep 28

Retro Review: Shadows and Symbols
By: Michelle on Sep 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 6 2009, 05:56 AM   #61
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

What I'd like to see is some veteran Trek writers taking advantage of all this hype and putting together a pitch for a new series that stays within the established continuity, maybe even a Captain April series (hey, I'm biased; sue me). After all, there's a five year period that's begging to be told, and if it's still going strong, and Ray Liotta is up for it, sign him up as Pike and keep rolling for a while (I don't know if it'd be workable to do a retelling of "The Cage" or just skip around it, from the fight on Rigel VII to their finally getting to the Vega colony, and maybe just deal with the fallout from Talos and Starfleet's enacting of General Order VII).
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 06:02 AM   #62
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
What I'd like to see is some veteran Trek writers taking advantage of all this hype and putting together a pitch for a new series that stays within the established continuity, maybe even a Captain April series (hey, I'm biased; sue me). After all, there's a five year period that's begging to be told, and if it's still going strong, and Ray Liotta is up for it, sign him up as Pike and keep rolling for a while (I don't know if it'd be workable to do a retelling of "The Cage" or just skip around it, from the fight on Rigel VII to their finally getting to the Vega colony, and maybe just deal with the fallout from Talos and Starfleet's enacting of General Order VII).
I think that would be cool, but ray Liotta looks like shit now
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 06:03 AM   #63
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Nothing a few weeks in Maui can't cure.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 08:26 AM   #64
Great Pumpkin
Baseball Fan

If you liked The Voyage Home, you're going to love this.....

RIP Dad Apr 22, 1942 - Dec 2, 2011

Great Pumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 10:25 AM   #65
Procutus
Admiral

Heading off to see it tonight at 7:30. I am really psyched for this.

Old May 6 2009, 11:44 AM   #66
Bounty
Commander

Saw it last night. It's everything I hoped it would be and more.

The prologue is possibly the first time I have ever physically been at the edge of my seat. The final scenes before the opening titles are *beautiful* - chaotically, tragically, gut-wrenchingly beautiful. If this sequence does not convince you that this movie is right than nothing will.

The movie proper than kicks off, and if I can level any criticism against it it's that Abrams gets the character pieces so spot-on that it's almost a disappointment when he cuts back to the action. Not that there's anything wrong with the action scenes themselves; there isn't a single action sequence in this movie that I would have left out. It's just that the universe is shown to be so rich and vibrant and alive you almost feel cheated when the villain tries to interrupt it.

I loved the imagery used in this film. There are scenes here I'd easily put on par with the TMP fly-by or the Enterprise rising out of the Mutara nebula in terms of sheer visceral impact, and I can't wait for the DVD to get some nice wallpapers for my desktop. Space has never looked this good.

What really bowled me over was what happened after the movie - people don't applaud, usually. I have never heared people applaud in a Belgian cinema in over fifteen years. People didn't applaud for the early screening of The Phantom Menace.

But when the credits started to roll, one person started clapping and the rest just followed. This movie really is something special. I don't care how much you dislike the concept or how much you dread a reboot, this movie is so Star Trek it hurts, and it's the best thing to happen to the franchise since... at least since TWoK, possibly since the day the first episode aired.

Kirk also goes to the Academy about eight years earlier in the original timeline and is an experience, seasoned officer by the time he's assigned command of the Enterprise, whereas in this case, we're talking the "Top Gun" school of "rising through the ranks on the merits of being smokin' hot!"
...no. Just no. If you had seen the film, you would have known nothing could be farther from the truth.

The problem involved time travel. Logic dictates that time travel be used to resolve it.
While it is not explicitly addressed, the movie makes it *abundantly* clear why Spock didn't take this route, and his actions in the movie follow a logical chain of events.

Last edited by Bounty; May 6 2009 at 11:55 AM.
Bounty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 12:33 PM   #67
Stag
Rear Admiral

I have to wait until tomorrow night to see it, but can anyone comment on the music? I know about the bit in the end credits, but how was the rest of the score? The opening theme? Any fanfare when they show the Enterprise?
Old May 6 2009, 12:44 PM   #68
Roshi's bone
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Roshi's bone

One thing I really loved about the movie was the opening titles: you see huge bold letters (and the arrowhead), as if Star Trek was carved into stone. Meaning Star Trek is back, baby!
And the quotes! Oh so many quotes! "I have been and always shall be... your friend!"; the Sherlock Holmes quote too...
God, I have to return to the cinema tonight!

Jack Beauregard: "You shine like the door of a whorehouse!"
Nobody: "I like folks to see me."
Roshi's bone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 01:04 PM   #69
Bounty
Commander

Stag wrote: View Post
I have to wait until tomorrow night to see it, but can anyone comment on the music? I know about the bit in the end credits, but how was the rest of the score? The opening theme? Any fanfare when they show the Enterprise?
The score was good. There's a new main theme that runs through the movie and is very catchy (I caught myself whistling it!). There is no opening theme as such; the movie has a "teaser segment" with its own music and then a title card with a music cue.

The reveal of the Enterprise is incorporated into the score of the scene that immediately precedes it - it's an organic outgrowth, you'll understand it when you see it. It is perhaps not as... obvious as cue as in TMP, but the music fits the scene perfectly.
Old May 6 2009, 01:13 PM   #70
StarMan
Vice Admiral

10 hrs 40 minutes till I'm in the theater quivering with excitement.

Honestly, it feels like Xmas Eve when I was 8.
Old May 6 2009, 02:58 PM   #71
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

Just got back and the movie was wonderful. Like Batman and James Bond before it...Trek has been revived and done right. I should say I've been a Trek fan for 24 years)

Captain Robert April, I hope you will see the movie, as it is entertaining in itself, not even taking into account that it's Star Trek...and I was nowhere near a gusher before it came out (I found the people that defended the movie's every little thing,like the bridge being too white,kind of childish) and that you'll come back here and tell us honestly what you felt.
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 03:00 PM   #72
Nardpuncher
Rear Admiral

StarMan wrote: View Post
10 hrs 40 minutes till I'm in the theater quivering with excitement.

Honestly, it feels like Xmas Eve when I was 8.
I must tell you to cherish these last few hours, as I just returned from the movie and envy those who haven't seen it yet. This only happened to me with Saving Private Ryan and Back to the Future. Odd I know, but that's just how I feel!
Nardpuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 03:58 PM   #73
urbandk
Commodore

I'd like to hear the comments of the people who voted "average" or "poor." I wonder what their response was too the film. Was it too faithful to the source material? Not faithful enough? etc...
Old May 6 2009, 04:12 PM   #74
Messianni
Commodore

View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni

Wow, 21 people already around here have seen it. I suppose, it's premiering in a bunch of territories today, isn't it?
Old May 6 2009, 04:16 PM   #75
Bounty
Commander

Messianni wrote: View Post
Wow, 21 people already around here have seen it. I suppose, it's premiering in a bunch of territories today, isn't it?
Some countries have their premieres on Wednesdays, and it looks like there have been a bunch of open preview screenings.