RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,566
Posts: 5,423,248
Members: 24,809
Currently online: 473
Newest member: Dobian

TrekToday headlines

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Takei Has Growth Removed
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Retro Review: Tears of the Prophets
By: Michelle on Sep 12

New Wizkids Attack Wing Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies XI+

Star Trek Movies XI+ Discuss J.J. Abrams' rebooted Star Trek here.

View Poll Results: Grade the movie...
Excellent 706 62.70%
Above Average 213 18.92%
Average 84 7.46%
Below Average 46 4.09%
Poor 77 6.84%
Voters: 1126. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 6 2009, 04:34 AM   #46
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

He gets free eventually, right?

What's to keep him from fixing everything afterward? It's time travel, and he's still got about a hundred good years in him. He's certainly shown the ability to hijack a ship if he can't come by one honestly.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 04:40 AM   #47
Tom Servo
Commodore
 
Tom Servo's Avatar
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
The problem involved time travel. Logic dictates that time travel be used to resolve it.
Well atleast I can see you have no rebuttal to my earlier statement. Way to beat around the bush without providing and argument, cause you can't. Good job.
__________________
"I like this ship! It's exciting!"-Scotty "Star Trek"

Member of Red Sox Nation
Tom Servo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 04:46 AM   #48
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The rules regarding the use of time travel aren't all that hard. Just because something happens doesn't justify the use of time travel to fix it. However, if an incident happens due to some sort of temporal interference, then it is justfied to use time travel to resolve the situation.

Nero time travelled, intentionally or not, and caused all kinds of havoc. Spock is more than justfied in using time travel to prevent that situation from happening. Written properly, Spock would know that, and would immediately begin his calculations for the proper time jumps.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 04:46 AM   #49
Messianni
Commodore
 
Messianni's Avatar
 
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
View Messianni's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Messianni Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Messianni
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Does the grading and discussion thread really have to turn into this? Really?

I'll be pissed if this just turns into some bullshit flame war and canon fight, again, and it has to get closed like all the other times this happens.
__________________
"So, the Enterprise is on its maiden voyage, has it? She is one well-endowed lady. I like to get my hands on her ample nacelles if you'll pardon the engineering parlance." Montgomery Scott
Messianni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:11 AM   #50
M'Sharak
Definitely Herbert. Maybe.
 
M'Sharak's Avatar
 
Location: Terra Inlandia
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain April, you have said, for months now, that you don't intend to see the movie. You say more than once in this thread that you have not seen the movie yet. How is it that someone who hasn't seen the movie and isn't voting has nearly one-quarter of the posts in this thread? Let's look:
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
superdeluxe wrote: View Post
I am really interested in opinions from those that had massive reservations about the canon being changed etc etc. What they thought of it, and if JJ abrams some felt were really destroying what they knew of Star Trek?
Well, I am on the verge of eating my vow to never see this thing, thanks to a free pass for tomorrow night's screening combined with a lecture on sales at my broadcasting class that I'd just as soon skip.

I suppose I can placate myself with the assurance that I still intend to never pay to see it.
Baiting.

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I need to get my reviews back up online anyway, so it's appropriate to have a major update.
Spam.

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
^ Predictable.

This is only because, as a self-respecting disc jockey, I hate sales.
More spam?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
I haven't voted yet.
Spam or baiting?

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
Don't you have a puppy that needs kicking?
Trolling.

The bulk of your remaining posts thus far seem primarily occupied with talking about some fantasy story of yours which is not the topic of this thread. The topic is, in fact, the movie which you admit haven't seen. The rest of your posts are simply empty spam.

So why are you here? Looks like trolling and disrupting the thread with off-topic nonsense, mostly -- a favorite old trick of yours. So warned.
__________________
"Recently my 8 year-old cousin asked me, with a wicked twinkle in his eye, if I'd ever microwaved a banana. I'm terrified to try, but I'm sure whatever happens—splattering, abrupt, radioactive—sounds exactly like an Annie Clark guitar solo."
M'Sharak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:19 AM   #51
urbandk
Commodore
 
urbandk's Avatar
 
Location: the European "canon" is here
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Thank God. I was afraid this thread was D.O.A. with a flame war. For Christ's sake...
__________________
urbandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:25 AM   #52
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

All I'm doing is answering questions. I suggest the same officiating eyes be directed at the other side.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:34 AM   #53
Augustus
Fleet Captain
 
Augustus's Avatar
 
Location: Sadly, not in Texas
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Dennis wrote: View Post
Jeff Bond's review of the movie is up now at www.trekmovie.com. One remark of his in particular captures much of what is true, and different, about this Trek movie:

Star Trek films have been hit and miss, but even as I’ve enjoyed some of them there’s an acknowledgment that I have never gotten what I’ve wanted from these movies—because what I’ve wanted is to re-experience the thrill I got out of watching the wonderful character moments in episodes like “Journey to Babel” and “Amok Time”—while seeing the Trek characters in a MOVIE with the kind of scope, action and drama I was used to seeing from the post-Star Wars era. And as heretical as it is to say this, that was never possible while watching the original cast do their Trek movies. As much as I loved those people, as good as they still were at what they did, it required a frustrating act of faith to watch old men and women trying their best to fit into the uniforms and chairs they inhabited decades earlier. The movie series had to jump through hoops to keep poor Sulu sitting at the helm as an old man while Spock—a Vulcan with a lifespan of hundreds of years—looked 20 years older than everyone around him, his father included. Gallivanting around the universe is a game for the young, and what I wanted was to see those heroes again in their prime. That’s what struck me when I was watching this movie—that I was finally seeing what I wanted a Star Trek movie to be.
I haven't seen it yet... less than 48 hours ....
But I know what he means, I am looking forward to watching a Trek movie that i have always wanted to see in terms of scope and thrill.
__________________
I don't know... I didn't go.
Augustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:34 AM   #54
urbandk
Commodore
 
urbandk's Avatar
 
Location: the European "canon" is here
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Let's talk about the movie for a change. For me, the Kelvin sequence was perfectly executed. In many respects, it made the whole film hang together. I think someone said it gave him goosebumps. It did for me.

The Kelvin really was the prequel element. Divergent timelines and all make the rest of the film a new direction and departure more than a prequel. I know there's a cult of Robau, but honestly, I'm curious about the Kelvin and its crew. I hope someone explores this ship and its background more thoroughly, either in novels or in a TV series (I can dream).
__________________
urbandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:37 AM   #55
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
The rules regarding the use of time travel aren't all that hard. Just because something happens doesn't justify the use of time travel to fix it. However, if an incident happens due to some sort of temporal interference, then it is justfied to use time travel to resolve the situation.

Nero time travelled, intentionally or not, and caused all kinds of havoc. Spock is more than justfied in using time travel to prevent that situation from happening. Written properly, Spock would know that, and would immediately begin his calculations for the proper time jumps.
I do agree with you on your points and I do believe that some of your arguments agianst this movie is justified, however I can say that this bieng an alternate timeline, even if Spock did travel through time to fix things he wouldn't be able to because he would be fixing the wrong timeline, one in which the TNG era is probably different and Romulus may not explode. If he goes back to before Nero destroy's the Kelvin then the timeline is maintained and Romulus still explodes, so what is acomplished, but an endless loop. I can't say this enough, all they would have had to do is an origin story in the current timeline and placed it before Kirk is Captian. I will still see the movie and I think it's going to be good , but I do wish they would have took a different aproach. Personally I would like to see a movie or tv. series based on Pike as Captian and lock in Greenwood, he's an awsome actor.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:39 AM   #56
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

The only time an upcoming Star Trek project ever gave me a chill of anticipation up my spine was when TNG was announced, because it meant that, at long last, with Star Trek returning to television, we'd finally won.

Another movie coming out is just fighting the same old battle again for territory we already won twenty years ago. I don't care how spectacular it is, what's the point?
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:44 AM   #57
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral
 
Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
Personally I would like to see a movie or tv. series based on Pike as Captian and lock in Greenwood, he's an awsome actor.
Not gonna happen, for the simple fact that the rights to Star Trek were divided a while back between Paramount Studios and CBS/Paramount. The movies are the movies, the tv shows are the tv shows, and never the twain shall meet e'er again, which is what I think is the root cause of this reboot in the first place, so that the movie side of the house could have their own Star Trek to play around with.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:45 AM   #58
urbandk
Commodore
 
urbandk's Avatar
 
Location: the European "canon" is here
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

I think for many younger trek fans, this new film is something we feel connected to culturally and emotionally. Pine and I are the same age. I grew up watching TNG every Sunday night from the first season on, but I just took Trek on TV for granted for a long time. I think with Enterprise's end, I was sad and saw no future for Trek, but, at least for me, this new film is a reason to be excited and involved with Trek again.
__________________
urbandk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:48 AM   #59
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
The only time an upcoming Star Trek project ever gave me a chill of anticipation up my spine was when TNG was announced, because it meant that, at long last, with Star Trek returning to television, we'd finally won.

Another movie coming out is just fighting the same old battle again for territory we already won twenty years ago. I don't care how spectacular it is, what's the point?
well i'm not going to bash you for having a different opinion and I hope that there is another tv. series to follow,but unfortunately this movie is going to make it hard to do a series without it looking cheap. It looks like Star Trek will take the same fate as Terminator, Alien,Batman, Superman and Predetor, every few years someone will get an idea and some up and coming director will take it on and add thier little touch to it. You either end up with a shitty version like Terminator 3 or a good version like Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, we will see .Looks to me we got something in between.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6 2009, 05:52 AM   #60
Nowhere Man
Commodore
 
Location: Nowhere Land
Re: The Official STAR TREK Grading & Discussion Thread [SPOILERS]

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
HunterB5446 wrote: View Post
Personally I would like to see a movie or tv. series based on Pike as Captian and lock in Greenwood, he's an awsome actor.
Not gonna happen, for the simple fact that the rights to Star Trek were divided a while back between Paramount Studios and CBS/Paramount. The movies are the movies, the tv shows are the tv shows, and never the twain shall meet e'er again, which is what I think is the root cause of this reboot in the first place, so that the movie side of the house could have their own Star Trek to play around with.
Your probably right, that and poor writing and decision making on the part of Brannon and Braga
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
grading & discussion, parallel star trek, vulcan

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:40 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.